Author Topic: 2016 the beginning of the Ben Simmons Era  (Read 22231 times)

Re: 2016 the beginning of the Ben Simmons Era
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2015, 01:55:53 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
On a positive note if the Nets pick isn't high enough for Ben Simmons then two more of the top 5 prospects also play SF which is a need for us IMO. Jaylen Brown and Brandon Ingram would also fit nicely on the C's.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2015, 03:37:55 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
On a positive note if the Nets pick isn't high enough for Ben Simmons then two more of the top 5 prospects also play SF which is a need for us IMO. Jaylen Brown and Brandon Ingram would also fit nicely on the C's.

Agreed.

This will be my first full summer as a CBer, so I'm preparing for months of speculation, even though just about everything will change between now and 344 days from now.

Mike

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2015, 06:23:56 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Would like celtics to tank for Simmons
Then once we get Ben Simmons have him do an interview with bill Simmons

I also want mavs to miss playoffs and end up like 8-10
Nets miss playoffs and end in the bottom 5
This will ensure we can at least try to trade up if the lotto balls don't fall for us

The Tim Duncan, Kevin Durant, even the Andrew Wiggins years have taught me to not get my hopes up.  Even the Len Bias year for that matter.   >:(

Yeah, we're not getting this guy, so don't even bother, lol ;D. Ugh.

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2015, 11:07:24 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Here is what type of athleticism Ingram has.

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2015, 11:34:20 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
We have the same thing I'm james young. I wouldn't buy the hype just yet

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2015, 12:22:14 PM »

Offline BadNewsBarnes

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 41
That SI post from a few days ago projects the Nets to have the 5th worst record next season.
If Brook Lopez goes down for any extended period of time they could plunge even further.  Our bad luck with draft position has to change at some point - now is the time.

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2015, 02:58:59 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
That SI post from a few days ago projects the Nets to have the 5th worst record next season.
If Brook Lopez goes down for any extended period of time they could plunge even further.  Our bad luck with draft position has to change at some point - now is the time.

TP for blind optimism.  ;D

As of now, my lucky numbers are 1,2,8 and 13.

Mike

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2015, 04:16:15 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I think you should be able to draft the rights to kids at 16, that would be so much fun.

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2015, 04:16:42 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Bad for the kids, but who cares.

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2015, 04:17:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
If you did great a kid at 16, could you give the a signing bonus or any money at all?

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2015, 04:48:49 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

I know a) rankings change as the draft approaches and it's EARLY and b) nbadraft.net is not always the most accurate, but if you look at their mock for next year the top 7 players are either SF or C with the only 'exception' being a 7-0 PF.  So, the draft next year matches up nicely with our needs.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2015, 07:20:39 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I think you should be able to draft the rights to kids at 16, that would be so much fun.

I agree 1000%.  Teams should absolutely be allowed to draft kids in the 15-16 range.

What I'd really love to see is a revamp of the D-League, where kids 15-18 can be drafted and stashed in a place where they can play with/against older players and truly get a feel for the professional game, rather than play/learn in the direction of the NCAA game/rules.  Actually, no age limit would be ideal.

I agree that's bad for the kids, but I also agree with "who cares?"  Kids are turning pro in Europe ~13.   
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2015, 02:03:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

how so?  a kid that age with the ridiculous money that comes from being in the NBA would screw a lot of them up IMO. 

I think the league needs to stick to drafting kids only after they graduate high school.  perhaps 2 different drafts -- 1 for college kids and 1 for kids that don't want to go to college. 

College draft:
2 rounds.  first round gets a guaranteed contract and better money than the non-college draft.  second round, partial guarantees on the contract. 

Non-college draft:
1 round.  guaranteed contract at about 1/2 or 1/3 the college guarantee makes and only for that first year.  guaranteed a spot on a minor league team that helps the kid adjust to life in the league.
--> if kid is good enough to go up to the NBA, good for them.  if not, give the kid back his college eligibility if he chooses to attend college ($ from guaranteed deal would pay for school) instead of going somewhere else or trying to stay in the league.  drafting team loses draft rights in that case.  Kid could only be redrafted after finishing school.  if the kid chooses to remain in the league rather than go back to school, the drafting team has the right to resign him.  if the team chooses not to, the kid is a FA free to find another team willing to foot the bill for him-->whether in the NBA or back in the minors.

just spitballing an idea.  not completely thought through for the details.

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2015, 02:06:31 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

I know a) rankings change as the draft approaches and it's EARLY and b) nbadraft.net is not always the most accurate, but if you look at their mock for next year the top 7 players are either SF or C with the only 'exception' being a 7-0 PF.  So, the draft next year matches up nicely with our needs.

Funny, this one has the Celts at 15, 16 and 21. How disappointed would we be if those turned out to be our picks?

I'm surprised Malik Pope is ranked at 28. That guy was moving up the draft board quickly last year.

Mike

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2015, 02:10:42 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Funny, this one has the Celts at 15, 16 and 21. How disappointed would we be if those turned out to be our picks?

I'm surprised Malik Pope is ranked at 28. That guy was moving up the draft board quickly last year.

Mike
I believe they just left it in the order teams finished the regular season last year.

Completely agree on Pope, I think he's a lotto talent. I know TriBoy is on board with us.