Author Topic: 2016 the beginning of the Ben Simmons Era  (Read 22174 times)

2016 the beginning of the Ben Simmons Era
« on: December 25, 2014, 01:50:26 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
http://youtu.be/n0a81hHVARE

If Danny is building through the draft this is the guy he should be building around

NBADRAFT.NET:

Strengths: 6'9 Aussie small forward with a versatile skill set ... High level athlete with a smoothness to his game ... Has a chance to be special ... Just turned 16 and already playing at an high level for high school age ... Lefty shooter with feathery touch and excellent release ... Grew up around the game, and shows a feel for the game that cannot be learned on the fly ... Adept at creating shots for himself and can spot up or pull up off the dribble ... Very good at creating offense for himself or others ... Has a tremendous basketball body with a big frame, wide shoulders, enormous hands and long arms ... Strong family background has made him a hard working kid with a strong work ethic ... High level vision and passing skills. His passing ability is rare for a forward ... Already 6'8 and his growth plates are still open. Could end up in the 6'10 range when all is said and done ... Great first step and knows how to use ball fakes to get his man off balance ... Shows the competitiveness to raise his level of play in clutch situations and when he's challenged ... Solid defender. Gets a low base. Good lateral speed. Stays in front of his man. Doesn't gamble ... Great maturity/composure. Rarely rushes things and gets out of control. ... Has avoided being coddled by the AAU scene ... His game is very advanced/complete for such a young player, doesn't have any glaring weaknesses ...

Weaknesses: He's such an advanced player for his age, any defiencies are really nit picking at this point ... Plays almost too unselfish at times. Not a prolific scorer, yet. Should look to become more aggressive at creating shots for himself ... Needs to mature physically, but has a great body already and will only continue to get stronger. Just a baby at 16 so plenty of time for his body to get stronger ... Will need to be able to block out the hype and stay focused ... Can become better at moving without the ball. Learning to set his man up off of screnes and staying active

Re: 2016 the beginning of the Ben Simmons Era
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 01:52:11 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 02:31:52 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
1). Welcome to CelticsBlog, and Merry Christmas.  2). I'm giving you a TP for your username and avatar, lol. ;D Awesome.

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 05:37:17 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 09:30:07 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
http://youtu.be/vppqUEa4sMI
hmm, biggest kid on the court pulling a showboat stunt like that -- not exactly an endearing quality.

initial highlight clip doesn't really show anything other than a tall kid can dunk over a bunch of smaller guys.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 09:47:40 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
The Celtics really need a top 3 pick in the 2016 draft. While I'm excited to hopefully finally draft some size this year, next year there are 3 players that I think are potential superstars: Ben Simmons, Jaylen Brown, and Thon Maker (likely reclassifying from 2017 to 2016 draft). We need the Nets to miss the playoffs next season.

Incidentally, the three above mentioned players will be playing in Springfield, MA at the Hoophall classic in mid Jan. For those who live in NE, it might be worth a drive to watch some of the talent of the future. I'm gonna go watch Simmons and Maker's games.

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 09:52:18 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
The Celtics really need a top 3 pick in the 2016 draft. While I'm excited to hopefully finally draft some size this year, next year there are 3 players that I think are potential superstars: Ben Simmons, Jaylen Brown, and Thon Maker (likely reclassifying from 2017 to 2016 draft). We need the Nets to miss the playoffs next season.

Incidentally, the three above mentioned players will be playing in Springfield, MA at the Hoophall classic in mid Jan. For those who live in NE, it might be worth a drive to watch some of the talent of the future. I'm gonna go watch Simmons and Maker's games.

Great heads up on hoophall classic,

Outside of Maker and Simmons I know very little about the class of 2016 but I think the Nets picks could be really good that year. Aside from the 76ers the rest of the youth movement teams in the east (Cs, Bucks, Magic) should be improving and the Nets should still be on a downward path.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 09:56:41 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Malik Newman looks like he could be a prolific scorer at any level. Seems very cocky, but man... he does work. There's a good mixtape of him and Blakeney going at it, I think. And one with Briscoe, PG going in KY.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 09:59:19 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Keep an eye on Jaylen Brown, he is an absolute stud.  He beat Simmons a few days ago to win the City of Palms Classic.  He is your typical SG/SF...C's would be lucky to get either guy...

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
Keep an eye on Jaylen Brown, he is an absolute stud.  He beat Simmons a few days ago to win the City of Palms Classic.  He is your typical SG/SF...C's would be lucky to get either guy...
I watched a DX interview with Jaylen Brown recently and was really impressed with the way he carries himself. Already speaks with the confidence of a grown man which makes me think that he is more than capable of comfortably wearing the stardom that may await him.

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 10:08:39 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I watched a DX interview with Jaylen Brown recently and was really impressed with the way he carries himself. Already speaks with the confidence of a grown man which makes me think that he is more than capable of comfortably wearing the stardom that may await him.

I love the highlights of the City of Palms Classic, where he is covering Simmons, down in his defensive stance and clapping right in his face.  Love that competitive drive!  Hope he goes to UNC too!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 10:19:21 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
hmm, biggest kid on the court pulling a showboat stunt like that -- not exactly an endearing quality.

initial highlight clip doesn't really show anything other than a tall kid can dunk over a bunch of smaller guys.

I don't see that as showboating though. He lost his dribble. It was actually a high percentage play at that point, being the biggest kid on the court and all.

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 10:27:25 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I don't see that as showboating though. He lost his dribble. It was actually a high percentage play at that point, being the biggest kid on the court and all.

Right, I don't see what the "showboating" angle is in all of this than actually doing a very good play.

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 10:31:16 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32

Right, I don't see what the "showboating" angle is in all of this than actually doing a very good play.

If that's "showboating", he can glady "showboat" in Green in the 2016-2017 season.

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 11:02:07 AM »

Offline Dog_Lover106

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12

Hoophall is always great, but the best 19u basketball in the world is already right here in New England. You can see NBA players virtually every night in NESPAC II & III, including the best team in the country three out of the past four years.

Montverdi is playing number one ranked Brewster Academy at Hoophall. Good luck with that. Brewster has the best backcourt in the country with 3 top 25 nationally ranked players. Jalen Adams (UCONN) Donavan Mitchell (Lousiville) and Justin Simon (Arizona).

Last years ACC player of the year and Big 12 player of the year are Brewster grads. Only problem for TJ Warren and Melvin Ejim was that they had to come off the bench at Brewster. Four players from that class of 2012 are already in the NBA with Aaron Thomas soon to follow.

Brewster, New Hampton, Tilton are all less than one hour from Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Games are free. Notre Dame, Northfield Mount Hermon, South Kent and Saint Thomas More  are closer if you live south of Boston.