Author Topic: Could the Celts get Gordon Hayward?  (Read 5066 times)

Could the Celts get Gordon Hayward?
« on: December 24, 2014, 11:22:44 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Just curious

Utah is really awful.

Would Jeff Green, James Young and picks get you Hayward?

Maybe then, Utah could turn around and give JG a similar deal to what they gave Hayward and have James Young and some picks.

Re: Could the Celts get Gordon Hayward?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 11:26:05 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Just curious

Utah is really awful.

I would love to see the C's get Hayward.  Not sure why Utah would want Green though. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 11:27:21 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Just curious

Utah is really awful.

I would love to see the C's get Hayward.  Not sure why Utah would want Green though.

Well, they can then turn around and give Green what they gave Hayward, plus they'd have a couple picks and a prospect in James Young.

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 11:38:12 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
I think Utah is pretty set on building with him for now.  Seems like Favors and Hayward would be pretty untouchable on that team. If you were Utah would you trade them right now?  I don't have any proof of that overly just my opinion but I'd guess it's legit.  Utah matched offers on Hayward and not sure they are going to trade him either right this second.  Especially for Jeff Green and picks.

DA has a ton of picks where he can maybe sway a team like that though...  That's kind of the whole point of having these  picks, so we can go after whatever, so I would never say never in truth.

I like ideas like this because we should be reaching in that regard. I don't know if we can make something like that happen this deadline though or if we even want to.

If the opportunity is there I'd say sure thing.  DA should be in the mix trying to do something like that.

We get a center and shooter to go with Smart, KO and Sully and a guy like Hayward.  THat's getting there.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 12:39:51 AM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 12:01:42 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
C's could use him .

Utah paid him to stay money ... ...the ok I'll stay on your sucky team if your going to pay me like that.......pay me to stay on a bad team and I will contract

Thing is ......they will never have a great team .....if they spend like that to keep a border line star.

Then to get real stars ..will want max everytime and they will have to pay it

Other words way I see it ....they are forced to pay too much money to get a good team.  Unrealistic to pay everybody in that manner to play in Utah ...just my 2 cents

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 12:28:19 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
We need to get James Young time the second half.  I'd say ship Bradley and Green out of town plus picks for a guy like Hayward for sure. Maybe we can utilize another team that way. Utah has to want to trade Hayward though... They have Burks and Hayward why would they want to downgrade with bradley and green and get picks unless they decide to build with just Favors.  I don't really see that for some reason. More assets for them.

WE have a trade exception where we can get another team involved and send them a bunch of stuff though.  3 quality assets and picks for Hayward.  That's not too bad.   That's what we got for Rondo but again there has to be some reason why Utah would want to do that. 

We get James Young time, go hard after a center.  Seems too good to be true.  I hope DA at least makes that call though.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 12:39:11 AM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 12:37:07 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
What's the love affair with Hayward all about? Is it because he's been linked to us in the past? Is it because of Stevens?

He's a nice player but would likely cost more (financially and asset-wise) than he's worth. Frankly it doesn't make sense to add him to a team like this. Maybe if we had landed Love, kept Rondo and needed a third piece to contend. Rondo/Hayward/Love would've been pretty sweet. Hayward alone isn't all that hot.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 12:41:14 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
What's the love affair with Hayward all about? Is it because he's been linked to us in the past? Is it because of Stevens?

He's a nice player but would likely cost more (financially and asset-wise) than he's worth. Frankly it doesn't make sense to add him to a team like this. Maybe if we had landed Love, kept Rondo and needed a third piece to contend. Rondo/Hayward/Love would've been pretty sweet. Hayward alone isn't all that hot.

There is truth to that.  I don't know if he is the answer in ways.  We can maybe do better in the draft or get a better sf.  That's the issue with these trades is once you go in that's it.  He has to be the guy. Hayward is pretty close and would be nice and work well here imo if we have a dominant center.  KO, dominant center, hayward, smart, young.  Sully, Zeller etc..  That's pretty close. I'm not banking on that though.  There are things that dont necessarily fit.

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 12:45:31 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
We won't go near him.
Overrated and overpaid.

What team is winning a championship with Gordon Hayward as a max player?

None!
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 12:47:42 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
We won't go near him.
Overrated and overpaid.

What team is winning a championship with Gordon Hayward as a max player?

None!

I dont know if he is overrated or overpaid but he's about paid right and about rated right.

It's more can we win a championship with him.  Young and Hayward would be interesting to me.

Thing is there isn't a huge difference between Green and Hayward though but different styles. Hayward brings it in other areas Jeff doesn't.  Scoring wise they are about the same.

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 12:51:36 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

There is truth to that.  I don't know if he is the answer in ways.  We can maybe do better in the draft or get a better sf.  That's the issue with these trades is once you go in that's it.  He has to be the guy. Hayward is pretty close and would be nice and work well here imo if we have a dominant center.  KO, dominant center, hayward, smart, young.  Sully, Zeller etc..  That's pretty close. I'm not banking on that though.  There are things that dont necessarily fit.

Agreed. If we make these type of trades the return piece has to be dynamite, or close to it. I'm not sure Hayward would have much more of an impact than Jeff Green, despite being a more multi-faceted player.

We'd be selling low on James Young in this proposed deal. He's a guy GMs will value as a #17 pick (because they can) and that's far below what I think he's worth. Without the car accident he'd probably be picked in the late lottery, which means he'd go top ten in an average draft. Coming out of high school he was being compared to Michael Redd. He was one of the best players on a stacked Kentucky team that went to the championship game. Let's give him some time. As much as it'd be painful to watch him become a bust in a C's uniform, I fear it'd be much more painful to become a Redd-type on another team (in addition to the other value we'd relinquish in this proposed deal) as we just barely miss the playoffs year after year with Gordon Hayward.

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 12:53:12 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Not James Young. Uncle Jeff, the PHI pick in 2016 and a 2018 BOS first. Any more than that and it's not worth it. Utah would never do it cause they're in the same boat we are and they're not gonna trade us their best player for a player 3 or 4 years older, with similar production. Even for a couple picks.

But if your Danny Ainge, you've saved up all these picks to make a move with them. If you can get a young player that plays at a very high level and you can get him for JG and some picks you do it. JG is prob gone anyways. But Young is a good looking young prospect. When a pick turns into a player it generally loses value, like driving a car off the lot. It's not smart for teams to trade those players until the really see what they have. Just my two cents.

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 12:53:37 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
I think it has to be taken into account that Jeff's numbers have dipped dramatically since Rondo left.  Jeff relies on a good pg.  Hayward does not. He would fit with Smart imo where we have an assortment of ball handlers.

Rondo would create for Jeff Green and Green is a good finisher.  Hayward creates for other players.

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 01:04:23 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
I think it has to be taken into account that Jeff's numbers have dipped dramatically since Rondo left.  Jeff relies on a good pg.  Hayward does not. He would fit with Smart imo where we have an assortment of ball handlers.

Rondo would create for Jeff Green and Green is a good finisher.  Hayward creates for other players.

Hayward is a fine player, but he's not an adequate enough piece for this return, and I don't think he's right for this team right now. Perhaps if we miraculously land Jimmy Butler this offseason and bring in another lottery prospect via the draft. Until then, save the assets to land studs like Butler and Jahlil Okafor.

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 01:12:57 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
Why on Earth would Utah want to swap 24 yr old Hayward, a guy they deemed worthy of a max contract 6 months ago and now have locked up, for a slightly above average 28 year old Green who will not ever improve above his current level and will need to be overpaid in 6 months to retain his services? Unless I missed an announcement that Utah recently hired Isaiah Thomas as GM this is not a plausible trade scenario.

If you want to craft a trade with Utah look at Enes Kanter. He might actually be available.