Poll

What would you like to see happen with Jeff Green by the trade deadline?

Trade him
8 (72.7%)
Keep him
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: December 26, 2014, 09:38:46 PM

Author Topic: Jeff Green: Keep him or trade him  (Read 1805 times)

Jeff Green: Keep him or trade him
« on: December 24, 2014, 09:38:46 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
First off, let me say that I expect Jeff Green will be traded at some point between now and the February trade deadline. However, I am still wrestling with how badly I want to actually see it happen.

Jeff Green and Rondo both posed similar problems for the Celtics this year, but I view their futures with the team very differently.

The Rondo trade made a lot of sense to me, because IMO there was only a very specific set of circumstances with him on the roster that would see the Celtics become a dangerous playoff team anytime soon. He would have to be signed to a long term max or near max contract (probably not going to resign and a very risky financial proposition given recent  performance), he would need to be surrounded with a specific supporting cast of players that aren't currently present on the Celtics (and they aren't walking through that door), and he'd have to play better (more made FGs and FTs, fewer turnovers).

Jeff Green, on the other hand, seems to me to be almost the exact opposite. Defensively, he has the size, length and athleticism to defend both the 3 and the 4, and even sometimes the 2. On offense, he can score effectively from behind the 3-point line or driving to the hoop, and on the break or in the half court. His disposition also seems to lend itself to almost any role the team asks of him. This season he's taken a lead role as a scorer just often enough to be relied on as one of the go to guys, but also doesn't require being "the man" so no matter how the young core shifts and develops I could see him as ok with a leading role or being moved to a supporting role and has some value to both contenders and rebuilding teams.

If Jeff Green could be re-upped for 3 years / $36M - $45M, or 4 years / $54M I think I'd be ok with bringing him back because of the versatility I mentioned, and because I expect he'll maintain reasonable trade value given the lack of quality wings on many teams in the NBA right now.

So where do you come down on trading Jeff Green? What type of package will make you want to part company with him? I'm thinking I'd like to see a promising young player and/or a 1st rounder likely to be in the teens or low 20's to make it worth our while.

Re: Jeff Green: Keep him or trade him
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 09:49:05 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I voted Keep---but I'm afraid all of our players have lost faith in Danny Ainge---The guy is smart--but has ZERO ZERO ZERO Loyalty to his players....Why would Green sign an extension, or not Opt Out of his current deal-?
---Ainge threw his Team and Coach under the Bus with that Perkins trade years ago---He needs to keep Green if he can---and build around him and Smart/K.O./Zeller/Young...Sully can go-but his salary is too low to get anything for him.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 10:17:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Jeff Green could be re-upped for 3 years / $36M - $45M, or 4 years / $54M I think I'd be ok with bringing him back

Giving Green as much as $15 million per year scares me.  I see him as an ideal third option, and when you eat up between 20% - 25% of your cap on role players, I think it's a recipe for mediocrity.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 10:35:59 PM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
I think Green's play has improved somewhat though his efficiency inst great. I also think this is a contract year for him and hes playing for another decent sized contract. I would trade him while his value is high now because it can only go down from here. Maybe squeeze a first out of a borderline contending team.

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 10:38:32 PM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
Trade him for assets, which eventually will open up minutes for James Young and Jae Crowder. Given his body language after the Rondo trade, he'll be gone after this season. Much better to cash on him now or risk losing him with no return. Maybe we can find his replacement next year @ the Draft: Stanley Johnson, Kelly Oubre, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Sam Dekker etc.

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 10:56:21 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
If Jeff Green could be re-upped for 3 years / $36M - $45M, or 4 years / $54M I think I'd be ok with bringing him back

Giving Green as much as $15 million per year scares me.  I see him as an ideal third option, and when you eat up between 20% - 25% of your cap on role players, I think it's a recipe for mediocrity.
$15M per year is definitely pushing the limits of my comfort zone. $12 - $13M is MUCH more comforting.  I doubt Green is someone's 1st choice free agent so a slightly lower price might be doable.

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 11:03:09 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I like Jeff as a a player, but for this team/roster, trade him.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 11:18:27 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
He will stay if you overpay him, otherwise he will leave. Not worth it.

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 11:30:48 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I was very much on the keep Jeff bandwagon, thinking that his staying could entice his buddy Monroe to come here.

After last night, I'm not so sure. I know it's only one game, but the old unaggressive, inconsistent Uncle Jeff was back. I think that he wads holding back like Rondo could have been holding back because he didn't want to be here, and I wanted to keep Rondo.

I'l wait a couple of more games to cast my vote.

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 11:46:06 PM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
At this point, trade him, assuming you can get any kind of return.

He's having what's seen by some as a career year, getting close to 20 ppg.  But's that on a bad team, with a relatively low shooting efficiency.  I don't think he's worth more than 10-12M/year, but no doubt some team will pay more this summer, assuming he opts out. 

At best he's your third option - ideally fourth - on a good team.  You can't pay max or close to it for a player like that.

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 12:26:49 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
PLEASE GOD TRADE HIM, LOL!!! ;D LOUD NOISES!  I've been calling for this for a while now, but send him to Memphis.  Green, as a 3rd-4th option on that team? :o Wow.  They could win it all if we can get him there.  Maybe have them throw in a first rounder, as well, so that at least we have another one of those, lol, but Prince's contract will also help us, so I see it as a win-win, as long as James Young gets his minutes.  LET THAT KID PLAY!!! 

Besides, Green is only playing for a contract, anyway, imo, as was stated earlier in this thread.

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 12:35:38 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I voted Keep---but I'm afraid all of our players have lost faith in Danny Ainge---The guy is smart--but has ZERO ZERO ZERO Loyalty to his players....Why would Green sign an extension, or not Opt Out of his current deal-?
---Ainge threw his Team and Coach under the Bus with that Perkins trade years ago---He needs to keep Green if he can---and build around him and Smart/K.O./Zeller/Young...Sully can go-but his salary is too low to get anything for him.

I'm telling you, as long as Danny is here, these guys should be living in hotels with travel bags on the team plane, bus, and their room, of course, lol, so that they can be ready to go within 10-15 minutes.  It's almost like a fire drill or whatever, haha. ;D

I wouldn't build around Green, though, because he's likely only playing better this year for a new contract, and I don't know what has happened to Sullinger.  Ugh.

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 01:20:49 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
PLEASE GOD TRADE HIM, LOL!!! ;D LOUD NOISES!  I've been calling for this for a while now, but send him to Memphis.  Green, as a 3rd-4th option on that team? :o Wow.  They could win it all if we can get him there.  Maybe have them throw in a first rounder, as well, so that at least we have another one of those, lol, but Prince's contract will also help us, so I see it as a win-win, as long as James Young gets his minutes.  LET THAT KID PLAY!!! 

Besides, Green is only playing for a contract, anyway, imo, as was stated earlier in this thread.

I don't think Green is only playing for a contract.  However you are correct that Green should only be a 3rd or 4th option.  Other than his amazing athleticism, Green doesn't have particularly good NBA level basketball skills.  He's the same player with the same deficiencies as he was in previous years.  If you don't get him involved early in a game, he'll tend to float through the rest of the game.  The difference this year is Rondo and Stevens focused on getting him early touches.  Rondo would throw him long lead passes even when there wasn't a clear fast break opportunity.  They'd also post him in the half court to get him scoring opportunities close to the basket.