Author Topic: Varejao out for the season! C's take advantage (trade idea)  (Read 4965 times)

Varejao out for the season! C's take advantage (trade idea)
« on: December 24, 2014, 01:31:24 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
C's get Waiters + MEM 1st rd pick (from CLE)

CLE gets Brandan Wright/Koufos

MEM gets Jeff Green.

If I'm Ainge the only thing that stops me from doing this deal is the protection on the MEM pick. The pick is protected in 2015 for the top 3 picks as well as picks 15-30. The protections most likely make this a 2017 1st rd pick. If I'm Ainge, I weigh my options to keep the protection, or (if possible) get the Grizzlies to remove protection from the pick.

If the pick becomes unprotected in 2015, CLE & BOS could send a 2nd rd pick to MEM. BOS would likely send its WAS 2nd rd pick (Humphries trade) which is heavily protected.

Re: Varejao out for the season! C's take advantage (trade idea)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 01:40:56 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm afraid that our guard rotation would get even bigger with the addition of Waiters. I do still think he has potential to be a very good player, but not sure it is worth taking him on unless we offload a couple of players.

Also, I think I prefer that the pick is in 2017. It is possible that Mem could begin to drop off and we have so many picks in the next couple of years that I would rather spread them out.

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 01:54:01 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Sorry, but Green AND Wright for  Waiters and a late 1st rounder?  Maybe just for Green, but how does that help us?  Another SG on the pile, create a void at SF...lose a big as well (even if he is a FA next year). Unless you can get rid of Thornton and Bradley, Waiters makes no sense.

Just get Thomas from PHO for Bradley... and give up Bass in a 3-way trade with DEN and CLE. Bass to Denver, Mosgov to cLE ... we get  a trade exception.

now Smart goes to SG with Turner... Green/crowder at SF...Young can sub for either in spots

Split time with 4 bigs Sully, Wright KO Zeller in a "hot hand" rotation.

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 02:32:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
horribly lopsided both for the Cavs and Memphis.

Waiters sucks pure and simple.  want no part of him.  pick is heavily protected for next 2 drafts when C's could really use it.

Green or Wright alone would be worth that if not more.  doing Cle a favor not just giving them Wright but taking the human headache Waiters off their hands.  they can kick in another first.  Memphis should also remove the protections.  it's going to be in high 20's anyway

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 02:41:52 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I like this deal and think people are fooling themselves if they think Green and Wright are worth more than that.

We only got a first for Rondo, I don't think we are getting more than a late first for Green. Dion Waiters was a top 10 pick two years ago for a reason. He would provide this team with a player who can get into the paint with the dribble, something on short supply for the C's.

Green and Wright aren't going to be here long term unless we pay them a lot, dealing them for future assets is the best course of action

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 02:46:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I want a lopsided trade

One that favors

The Celtics

Le Bron gets his way all the time .....

He can get what he wants ......

If we trade with LeBron .....

I hope we nail his hide to the wall with a return......putting the pressure back on him to win

Scrooge Attack

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 02:50:39 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I like it, provided we can unprotect the pick. Wright for Waiters would be a big win, asset-wise. Green for a decent first rounder would be fair, a modest win. Squeeze a random second rounder out of either CLE or MEM and celebrate an ideal trade.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 02:59:10 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I like it, provided we can unprotect the pick. Wright for Waiters would be a big win, asset-wise. Green for a decent first rounder would be fair, a modest win. Squeeze a random second rounder out of either CLE or MEM and celebrate an ideal trade.
The protection makes it more likely that it is a lottery pick at some point rather than a pick in the late 20's this year.

2015 first round draft pick from Memphis
Memphis' 1st round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 1-5 and 15-30 in 2015, 1-5 and 15-30 in 2016, 1-5 in 2017 and 1-5 in 2018 and unprotected in 2019 [Cleveland-Memphis, 1/22/2013]
Read more at http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed#Y0CAUT7koBe0TBsZ.99

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 03:12:32 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Ah, so it really is just a 2017 pick, then. That ought to be a pretty good pick. Still a fair-ish return for Green. I love those bookend protection things. Say, if MEM finished next year with the 15th pick, could we choose to take it or is that 15-30 part written in stone?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 03:20:57 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Ah, so it really is just a 2017 pick, then. That ought to be a pretty good pick. Still a fair-ish return for Green. I love those bookend protection things. Say, if MEM finished next year with the 15th pick, could we choose to take it or is that 15-30 part written in stone?
I'm pretty sure they are written in stone. Even though Cleveland owns the pick I believe that Memphis could agree to drop the protections (or at least loosen them) as part of the deal.

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 03:21:27 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Varejao's annual season ending injury-quote from cavs fans blog
and i've read that a year ago, i guess there's truth to that.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 12:49:16 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
I'm afraid that our guard rotation would get even bigger with the addition of Waiters. I do still think he has potential to be a very good player, but not sure it is worth taking him on unless we offload a couple of players.

Also, I think I prefer that the pick is in 2017. It is possible that Mem could begin to drop off and we have so many picks in the next couple of years that I would rather spread them out.

I agree. Bradley would likely get traded if we acquired Waiters. A team like Phoenix would probably trade for him. An Isiah Thomas- Avery Bradley swap seems like it would be beneficial for both teams

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 01:33:12 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
I like this deal and think people are fooling themselves if they think Green and Wright are worth more than that.

We only got a first for Rondo, I don't think we are getting more than a late first for Green. Dion Waiters was a top 10 pick two years ago for a reason. He would provide this team with a player who can get into the paint with the dribble, something on short supply for the C's.

Green and Wright aren't going to be here long term unless we pay them a lot, dealing them for future assets is the best course of action

My thoughts EXACTLY! I like Green but I'm not willing to let him walk for nothing. He might want opt out and go play for a contender. He also may want more $$$ in his next contract than the C's are willing to give.

Ainge should do the following:

1) Trade for Waiters, MEM 1st rd pk, 5 mil TPE for Wright (FROM CLE-KEITH BOGANS)

2) Trade Bradley to Phoenix in a deal that gets us Isiah Thomas

3) Use the Rondo TPE (12.9 mil) and combine it with the Wright TPE (5 mil) to create a larger TPE worth up to 17.9 mil.

Toronto would be the perfect partner to help the C's get this done. The C's can send Thornton, Bass, Wallace & or Nelson to the Raptors for Chuck Hayes, Landry Fields, Tyler  Hansbrough (15.5 mil). If TOR is willing to include Caboclo or Noguiera, the C's would be creating a TPE worth up to 17.3 mil. Ainge can combine some picks and quality players (i.e. Sully, Olynyk) w/ this new TPE and trade for an atleast an All-Star.

Since the C's are giving the better players in this deal, TOR would have to include a late 1st or maybe two 2nd rd pks.

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 01:43:04 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I agree. Bradley would likely get traded if we acquired Waiters. A team like Phoenix would probably trade for him. An Isiah Thomas- Avery Bradley swap seems like it would be beneficial for both teams

I see no reason to get Waiters.  We have more than enough mediocre guards as it is.  The Thomas - Bradley swap is interesting but I think I'd prefer a Reggie Jackson - Bradley swap.  I think Bradley would be a good fit in OKC.   He'd be a 4th or 5th offensive option and could focus on his defense.  Since the salaries don't match, it would have to be something like Jackson/Perkins for Bradley/Bass.  Then I'd start Jackson/Smart.   

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 02:13:37 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday

I see no reason to get Waiters.  We have more than enough mediocre guards as it is.  The Thomas - Bradley swap is interesting but I think I'd prefer a Reggie Jackson - Bradley swap.  I think Bradley would be a good fit in OKC.   He'd be a 4th or 5th offensive option and could focus on his defense.  Since the salaries don't match, it would have to be something like Jackson/Perkins for Bradley/Bass.  Then I'd start Jackson/Smart.

Although I do like Jackson, OKC isn't giving up Perkins. Thomas is more realistic to trade for. I like Waiters and think he has more potential than AB... He can create his own shot better than AB. Also on a rookie contract this season and next season. He's a big guard at 6'4. Waiters is 6'4 just like Smart. They weigh about the same. Would be a good backcourt if Smart can play good at PG.

Regardless of if we get Jackson or Thomas I still want Waiters. Cleveland needs this trade the most (no Varejao) so let's take advantage of their situation and get a good player like Waiters for Green who can just opt out and leave.