Author Topic: Is Zeller more than a backup on a contender?  (Read 5507 times)

Re: Is Zeller more than a backup on a contender?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 06:09:30 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think Zeller and Wright could be part of a 48-minute C rotation on a championship team. Here's how they fit into my master plan to win ring 18.

Step 1: Play Zeller and Wright 24 minutes each at C.
Step 2: Surround them with an MVP-level scorer, two All-Stars and an All-NBA defender. And a very good bench.

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 06:19:56 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I think Zeller and Wright could be part of a 48-minute C rotation on a championship team. Here's how they fit into my master plan to win ring 18.

Step 2: Surround them with an MVP-level scorer, two All-Stars and an All-NBA defender. And a very good bench.
i take it you are betting heavily on santa being extraordinarily generous to the celtics this year.  ;D

but in any event, merry christmas boris. and a tp for an early christmas present.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 06:20:39 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
What I love about Zeller is that you don't have to run plays for him.  All you need is t move the ball, and Zeller will find his spot on the floor.  Also, what a finisher his is and what a pair of hands he has.  It is almost an automatic when he is rolling to the basket.

Yes, Zeller can be a starting center for a championship team.  Hey, last time I looked Miami won without a center.  Chicago won it with Luc.  Cs won it with Perk (good defender, but very limited and not an all-star)....and so on.

Don't  know where Zeller is going to be when we win 18, but yes, we could win 18 with him as the starting center.  All you need to win is a TEAM

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 07:04:54 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

i take it you are betting heavily on santa being extraordinarily generous to the celtics this year.  ;D

but in any event, merry christmas boris. and a tp for an early christmas present.

You too HJ.

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 07:14:56 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I like Zeller a lot.  A very pleasant surprise.  Not sure how he'd do against D Howard or M Gasol but against most centers I think he's fine.

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2014, 07:26:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I love the dudes game...he is an HONEST player....works hard , plays hard ever minute , never complains.

He is idea employee and teammate.

I would pay him big bucks to play behind somebody like Gasol .

There would be only minimum. Drop off having him in against a first string

And he is better than most bench centers overall.....some are better defenders......

The man never misses.....he is Gold around the bucket and out 12 ft.

If I thought Brooke Lopez was a healthy person.....I'd say get him and give Zeller near equal minutes

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 09:31:38 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I remember when I thought trading Rondo was going to take his game down a big notch.

He's probably not a starter on a "contender" but I'd take him any day on whatever team I have.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2014, 10:33:39 PM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
His defense isn't good enough to be a starter on a contender and the same goes for his offense. Hes an athletic hustle big who feeds off easy baskets and running the floor. I like him for sure as a rotation big and he still has some room to develop somewhat.

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2014, 11:02:37 PM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
if someone offered a pick for TZ would you do it?

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2014, 11:07:48 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Nope.

Zeller doesn't really play much defense if any at all.

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2014, 12:38:01 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
if someone offered a pick for TZ would you do it?

In a heartbeat - provided that it's a first rounder, but I don't think we could get that for him.  As for an answer to the original question of this thread - in a word, no, lol. ;D He's been better than I expected, though.

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2014, 02:13:35 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Zeller is growing before our eyes.  He has filled in nicely at the 5.  Now is he a star player?  No, not even close.  But he could become our equivalent of 'brandon bass' at the 5 spot.  A dependable guy who can be counted on to chip in offensively and at least not be a revolving door on defense.

Do we still need a 'stud' 5 center/rim protector?  Yes.  But Tyler Zeller has given us a lot of value for that trade exception that DA dealt.  He's been a lot better than expected.  If we land an Okafor/Towns, I'd still expect Zeller to be our first big off the bench.  And that's valuable to have another 6 fouls to give with a guy who looks at least average in talent level at the 5 position.

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2014, 03:29:20 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Zeller's defense only seems adequate because the other option was Olynyk. He should be a bench guy on a good team.

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2014, 03:19:30 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
He could start on a contender.

Then again, if the rest of your team is Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka or James/Wade/Bosh, basically anyone can start on a contender.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2014, 07:22:35 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
He could start on a contender.

Then again, if the rest of your team is Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka or James/Wade/Bosh, basically anyone can start on a contender.
Nailed it. Contenders these days are 3-4 stars surrounded by cannon fodder.