Author Topic: Cavs have been in contact with Cs about facilitating 3 team deals per ESPN  (Read 56529 times)

Re: Cavs have been in contact with Cs about facilitating 3 team deals per ESPN
« Reply #225 on: December 25, 2014, 03:59:13 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Not sure why Ainge is getting such a benefit of the doubt.

He is getting the benefit of the doubt because most NBA followers believe he has done pretty well for the Celtics in getting picks and salary cap flexibility in the post-Pierce era.  He could have easily kept those guys until they retired and we would be a competitive yet middling Eastern Conference playoff team.

He has made the right decisions thus far and it's hard to say definitively he could have done a better job.

« Reply #226 on: December 25, 2014, 04:03:25 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
If any of these "assets" lead to anything, then fine, I'll be a happy camper.

Til then, Ainge's quest to rebuild the team gets an incomplete from me.

By the way, don't look now, but I think guys like Sully and Green are getting tired of losing and I don't blame them one bit.

Because he won a championship in five years due to the help of a former friend.

fyp
actually, earlier on cb in a thread someone posted an interesting article in which mchale was interviewed and he talkd about how he almost made the trade for bynum, and would have but for bynum's weak knees.

mchale was doing his job and took what he viewed as the safest package. so, some evidence exists that mchale did not simply give KG away as a present.

what evidence do we have that mchale really did give KG away as a present? i would like to see it if it exists.

McHale's report of why he did what he did? Wouldn't call that evidence, really.
it is something. again, what is the evidence that he gave away KG as a present?

I have none, other than speculation. I just don't think McHale's words ought to be considered any more valid than one's intuition. 

Regarding Big Al... I think this post speaks volumes: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070730

He's a one-time all-star, if I'm correct, on the tail end of his career on an awful team in an historically awful conference. One way player. And prior to his trade, he had one good season with us only after 2 other bigs went down. Prior to that, he was riddled with injuries, including a meniscus tear. Couldn't stay healthy. As for Gomes, Green, Telfair!, and a pick... nah. They passed on #5 pick and Big Al previously, then took this pu pu platter? Reeks of a handout from a former buddy.

I don't know what else was available at the time. Odom, Bynum, Farmar and a 2008 first is what I read somewhere. Sounds pretty good to me. If Bynum's injuries kept him from taking LA's offer... that's makes little sense to me, given Al's early injury issues (perhaps not as severe, but a clear pattern early in his career). He had one good year with Cs prior to the trade.

Why is it a criticism of Ainge even if he got KG with the help from an old friend?  Isn't that what you want your GM to do?

« Reply #227 on: December 25, 2014, 04:14:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

By the way, don't look now, but I think guys like Sully and Green are getting tired of losing and I don't blame them one bit.

fyp
actually, earlier on cb in a thread someone posted an interesting article in which mchale was interviewed and he talkd about how he almost made the trade for bynum, and would have but for bynum's weak knees.

mchale was doing his job and took what he viewed as the safest package. so, some evidence exists that mchale did not simply give KG away as a present.

what evidence do we have that mchale really did give KG away as a present? i would like to see it if it exists.

I have none, other than speculation. I just don't think McHale's words ought to be considered any more valid than one's intuition. 

Regarding Big Al... I think this post speaks volumes: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070730

He's a one-time all-star, if I'm correct, on the tail end of his career on an awful team in an historically awful conference. One way player. And prior to his trade, he had one good season with us only after 2 other bigs went down. Prior to that, he was riddled with injuries, including a meniscus tear. Couldn't stay healthy. As for Gomes, Green, Telfair!, and a pick... nah. They passed on #5 pick and Big Al previously, then took this pu pu platter? Reeks of a handout from a former buddy.

I don't know what else was available at the time. Odom, Bynum, Farmar and a 2008 first is what I read somewhere. Sounds pretty good to me. If Bynum's injuries kept him from taking LA's offer... that's makes little sense to me, given Al's early injury issues (perhaps not as severe, but a clear pattern early in his career). He had one good year with Cs prior to the trade.

Why is it a criticism of Ainge even if he got KG with the help from an old friend?  Isn't that what you want your GM to do?

Exactly ...  That's what GMs do.....good ones anyway.....you use all the angles.   All the tools available .
I don't see any problem calling in favors.....the world basically runs on such politics .......if you don't know that by now ....better wake up.

« Reply #228 on: December 25, 2014, 04:17:45 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

fyp

It's always worth noting that the T-Wolves also got their 2009 1st back in the KG deal, a pick that could've been used on Steph Curry, DeMar DeRozan, Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson, Jeff Teague, or even Taj Gibson.  Not our fault they blew it on Johnny Flynn.

It's an underrated part of the trade because Minny screwed it up.  Just like people forget that Memphis got Marc Gasol in the Pau Gasol deal, because people didn't know how good Marc would be at the time.

« Reply #229 on: December 25, 2014, 05:35:19 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
So this whole thing started based on a reported rumor that Cle had approached us to be the 3rd wheel in a trade.  No doubt that Cle needs to try and find a big.  I suspect that our role would be to provide a draft pick not to actually provide the big in the trade.

This is not likely to be a game changing deal for us but if we can come out of it with something a little better than where we started, that is fine.  Danny tends to do pretty well with these types of deal (Zeller comes to mind).

« Reply #230 on: December 25, 2014, 05:38:44 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
So this whole thing started based on a reported rumor that Cle had approached us to be the 3rd wheel in a trade.  No doubt that Cle needs to try and find a big.  I suspect that our role would be to provide a draft pick not to actually provide the big in the trade.

This is not likely to be a game changing deal for us but if we can come out of it with something a little better than where we started, that is fine.  Danny tends to do pretty well with these types of deal (Zeller comes to mind).

The hope in a 3-way trade would be to get a draft pick for either green/wright/bass.. all of which memphis or denver would want to add to their roster for their backup bigs.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #231 on: December 25, 2014, 06:06:41 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
If we deal with Memphis and Cleveland in a three way we have some interesting options. Memphis could conceivably modify the protections on the pick that CLE would convey to us. And, we could throw the LAC pick into the deal to allow a swap for the Cavs' other pick (which is the worse of theirs and CHI's).

For example, we could undo the protection on the Memphis pick this year, and then arrange swap rights so that we'd get the two best of Memphis', LAC's and the CLE/CHI pick. (This is based on my understanding of the Stepien rule...happy to be corrected.) CLE would get the worst of the three.

We'd go from having one pick (currently 21) to two (currently 21 and 23). And if something bad happened and a few of those teams ended up with a better pick, we'd be better off.

I think something like that for one of our vet assets (Bass, Wright or Green) would be acceptable.

« Reply #232 on: December 25, 2014, 07:24:45 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
How bout trading for a Player who knows how to play defense!

I don't give a sh!t if a Player in anyone of these deals shoots 80%, its about D. Just ask San Antonio.

« Reply #233 on: December 25, 2014, 08:00:03 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
If you guys want a good laugh about potential deals from the Cavs perspective and confirmation that not just our fans and this board overvalue our own players and underestimate the intellect of opposing GMs, check this out:

http://www.fearthesword.com/2014/12/24/7447835/potential-trades-for-the-cleveland-cavaliers-to-address-the-need-at

To Cleveland: Brandon Wright (Keith Bogans trade exemption would need to be used to absorb his salary)

To Boston: Joe Harris, 2015 second round pick via Boston, 2015 second round pick via Sacramento

I mean how stupid do they think we are????

« Reply #234 on: December 25, 2014, 08:06:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If you guys want a good laugh about potential deals from the Cavs perspective and confirmation that not just our fans and this board overvalue our own players and underestimate the intellect of opposing GMs, check this out:

http://www.fearthesword.com/2014/12/24/7447835/potential-trades-for-the-cleveland-cavaliers-to-address-the-need-at

To Cleveland: Brandon Wright (Keith Bogans trade exemption would need to be used to absorb his salary)

To Boston: Joe Harris, 2015 second round pick via Boston, 2015 second round pick via Sacramento

It would be a credible deal if those picks weren't top-55 protected.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #235 on: December 25, 2014, 08:13:48 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

yes, especially since those second round picks are both protected 31-55 picks that will never convey.

« Reply #236 on: December 25, 2014, 08:42:21 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

They saw the RR deal?

LOL JK
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #237 on: December 25, 2014, 09:02:57 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

yes, especially since those second round picks are both protected 31-55 picks that will never convey.

TP to you and Roy.....I should have made that point myself to elucidate on the absurdity I was referring to.

Also, Congrats DePalma and TP and way to represent on the comments section of that article, being  the voice of reason:

I don't know why you think Scenario#2 makes too much sense not to happen because it makes absolutely no sense for Boston
The 2nd round picks are both heavily protected (31-55) and neither Boston or Sacramento are going to finish top 5 in the NBA, so those picks are air. The deal is basically Brandan Wright one of the better bench bigs in the league for Joe Harris. Boston has to believe they can find a better deal than that.

« Reply #238 on: December 25, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

My guess is that they judge other people by their own standards  ;D
Been to their blog several times, can't say I was impressed.

« Reply #239 on: December 25, 2014, 09:10:27 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

They saw the RR deal?

LOL JK

TP...Hoho ho...made me laugh. Merry Christmas.