Author Topic: A. Sherrod Blakely tweet about Sully  (Read 40245 times)

Re: A. Sherrod Blakely tweet about Sully
« Reply #150 on: December 25, 2014, 04:51:53 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
All of the hyperbole (fat/lazy/slow/bad at everything/caused cancer and world war 2) attached to Sullinger smacks of some serious recency bias.

He's been slumping for what? 10 games? He was putting up borderline all-star numbers before that and pretty decent numbers for all of last season as well. The poor performances are going to have to go on for far longer to convince me that the Sullinger we had before is gone forever.

Perhaps he's going through some personal issues. Perhaps he's carrying an injury. We have no way of knowing and for now it should be sufficient that we trust management to deal with the situation as best as possible. If he's still playing like this at end of season then we can talk about cutting him loose.
He is fat. And the slowest player in the team (Wallace doesn't count). The problem can be easily fixed and indeed it might be due to some serious issues we do not know. But it is high time it was fixed.

You honestly think Sully could beat Wallace in a race?
If it is a run for the pies race, I sure do.  ;D

« Reply #151 on: December 25, 2014, 04:55:31 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
All of the hyperbole (fat/lazy/slow/bad at everything/caused cancer and world war 2) attached to Sullinger smacks of some serious recency bias.

He's been slumping for what? 10 games? He was putting up borderline all-star numbers before that and pretty decent numbers for all of last season as well. The poor performances are going to have to go on for far longer to convince me that the Sullinger we had before is gone forever.

Perhaps he's going through some personal issues. Perhaps he's carrying an injury. We have no way of knowing and for now it should be sufficient that we trust management to deal with the situation as best as possible. If he's still playing like this at end of season then we can talk about cutting him loose.
He is fat. And the slowest player in the team (Wallace doesn't count). The problem can be easily fixed and indeed it might be due to some serious issues we do not know. But it is high time it was fixed.

Never underestimate the power of pie.

« Reply #152 on: December 25, 2014, 05:40:24 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
Ugh. Blakely should just shut up.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #153 on: December 25, 2014, 08:28:23 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
So Sullinger is in a slump and now it's because he's fat? Are these the same people who praised Sullinger before his slump?

« Reply #154 on: December 25, 2014, 08:56:50 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
So Sullinger is in a slump and now it's because he's fat? Are these the same people who praised Sullinger before his slump?
Sully is good and fat.
That's why it's upsetting.
I don't think the 'slump' is much to worry about as far as the large picture is concerned.
Being fat however is a concern since it hinders his development + slows down the rest of the team.

« Reply #155 on: December 25, 2014, 09:05:33 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Sully is good and fat.
That's why it's upsetting.

Did you mean good as well as fat or good as in emphasizing the "fat". ;)

« Reply #156 on: December 25, 2014, 09:12:23 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Never underestimate the power of pie.

Mmm pie, lol. ;D

« Reply #157 on: December 25, 2014, 09:45:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Sully is going on a diet this holiday season.

He is serious

« Reply #158 on: December 25, 2014, 09:48:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Stevens had soured on him, as he well should, given his pathetic effort last game.  I tried to tell people this a while back, and they said don't jump to conclusions but they clearly missed the clues that were out there.  Maybe it was just a punishment but I think Stevens does not trust his D, late in games, despite what some  have posted.  Here are his clutch statistics

Floor Time statistics
Min      Net Pts     Off       Def     Net48      W   L     Win%
  50%   -9    107.2   124.2   -16.9       4     6   40.0%

http://www.82games.com/1415/14BOS12.HTM

Clutch Statistics

(4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left,
neither team ahead by more than 5 points)

Now one guy here claims he is a good defender statistically but the reality he is not when it matters.   I have brought this up before but he ignores what he doesn't want to hear despite being shown this twice.   In a game that matters he can't be trusted think of all our close games this year.

Compare Sully with Olynyk, the difference is astounding and it is no wonder that Stevens trusts him more to close games.

Min     Net Pts     Off      Def    Net48     W       L        Win%
  40%  +26    154.8  93.8  61.0    4     3        57.1%

http://www.82games.com/1415/14BOS13.HTM

Could it be he is out of shape?   I think he is in better shape now than he was but he is not in elite shape.    I watch every game, and I think he is lazy unless he is shooting or rebounding.   He doesn't run the floor, doesn't collapse on defenders who penetrate.   

Excuses are like a certain body part that stinks, everyone has one.    This guy is  a pro and should be held accountable which Stevens has been doing.   I am sorry that his NBA career is not going the way he hope, but the talent is there to some degree, and it starts with him, not Stevens.  You can only scheme so much to cover up a slow guy, athletes will attack that every time.

I fully admit, Sully is a good rebounder, his shot has improved, and he has superb hands but I also acknowledge, that he is slow, can't jump and shows lackluster effort at the littles battles that win games aside from rebounding.

I hope, we find him a new home, because a house built around him will be a house of cards that is slow and unathletic.    I think it is safe to say that Stevens uses clutch stats.

Merry Chistmas All!   I was trying not be negative on X mas but the Darkside won over, sorry.

« Reply #159 on: December 26, 2014, 01:22:01 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I've been skeptical of Sullinger for a while.  I believe that a big man ideally needs to be able to either spread the floor or protect the rim.  I don't like starting one who can do neither.  He's not a rim protector and Olynyk seems like a better option as a floor spreader.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #160 on: December 26, 2014, 02:47:14 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Stevens had soured on him, as he well should, given his pathetic effort last game.  I tried to tell people this a while back, and they said don't jump to conclusions but they clearly missed the clues that were out there.  Maybe it was just a punishment but I think Stevens does not trust his D, late in games, despite what some  have posted.  Here are his clutch statistics

Floor Time statistics
Min      Net Pts     Off       Def     Net48      W   L     Win%
  50%   -9    107.2   124.2   -16.9       4     6   40.0%

http://www.82games.com/1415/14BOS12.HTM

Clutch Statistics

(4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left,
neither team ahead by more than 5 points)

Now one guy here claims he is a good defender statistically but the reality he is not when it matters.   I have brought this up before but he ignores what he doesn't want to hear despite being shown this twice.   In a game that matters he can't be trusted think of all our close games this year.

Compare Sully with Olynyk, the difference is astounding and it is no wonder that Stevens trusts him more to close games.

Min     Net Pts     Off      Def    Net48     W       L        Win%
  40%  +26    154.8  93.8  61.0    4     3        57.1%

http://www.82games.com/1415/14BOS13.HTM

Could it be he is out of shape?   I think he is in better shape now than he was but he is not in elite shape.    I watch every game, and I think he is lazy unless he is shooting or rebounding.   He doesn't run the floor, doesn't collapse on defenders who penetrate.   

Excuses are like a certain body part that stinks, everyone has one.    This guy is  a pro and should be held accountable which Stevens has been doing.   I am sorry that his NBA career is not going the way he hope, but the talent is there to some degree, and it starts with him, not Stevens.  You can only scheme so much to cover up a slow guy, athletes will attack that every time.

I fully admit, Sully is a good rebounder, his shot has improved, and he has superb hands but I also acknowledge, that he is slow, can't jump and shows lackluster effort at the littles battles that win games aside from rebounding.

I hope, we find him a new home, because a house built around him will be a house of cards that is slow and unathletic.    I think it is safe to say that Stevens uses clutch stats.

Merry Chistmas All!   I was trying not be negative on X mas but the Darkside won over, sorry.

Starting to wonder if Sully is worn down at the end of games while Olynyk is still fresh. To me this is the only explanation because from an overall standpoint Sully has better offensive and defensive on court/off court splits than Olynyk.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #161 on: December 26, 2014, 02:54:02 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I've been skeptical of Sullinger for a while.  I believe that a big man ideally needs to be able to either spread the floor or protect the rim.  I don't like starting one who can do neither.  He's not a rim protector and Olynyk seems like a better option as a floor spreader.

While this isn't an indictment on you in any way, whatever happened to the terms 'shot blocker' and 'shooter?'  Are they not 'hip' enough for the 'cool kids' at espn or something, lol? ::) I'm just wondering.

« Reply #162 on: December 26, 2014, 03:07:56 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

He can spread the floor well, just not as well as Olynyk. Very few big men in the league can do that.

His game has its warts, and obviously based on current production I'd prefer Olynyk, but I still think he's a starter-caliber talent who's just slumping for whatever reason. I guess it's possible that he may never get out of this slump, but I doubt it.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #163 on: December 26, 2014, 03:09:20 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

While this isn't an indictment on you in any way, whatever happened to the terms 'shot blocker' and 'shooter?'  Are they not 'hip' enough for the 'cool kids' at espn or something, lol? ::) I'm just wondering.

Because those are more accurate descriptions of what they actually do.

You spread the floor even if you never actually make or even take a shot in a particular game.

You can protect the rim without blocking.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #164 on: December 26, 2014, 03:12:34 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Being in very good shape is very important to be able to succeed in the nba.  Even though some ppl think that Zach Randolph is "fat",  the guy is in very good shape. May never look like a body builder but you can tell he tries hard in the offseason. 

Sullinger is "fat".   One of the fattest in the league.   In college he got to "slide" by with this problem bc he was playing center alot of times (and doing a good job holding his own against most college centers)

In the nba ,  he is not the strongest guy (solid strength though) , has a 7'2 wingspan (good but not great),  can't really leap (quick jumper but can't jump high) and looks unnatural running the floor.    He has to work "hard" to succeed and right now i think he has ran out of gas.   

I was really hoping he would come into this season in the best shape of his life and he failed imo. While KO is going in the right direction with his body.   I have seen Sullinger's HS highlights where he is more bouncy and had a easier time running the floor.  I don't think Danny will trade him unless he keeps playing badly or we get overpaid. But for next season it's his last chance to come into pre season the best shape of his life.  He needs to lose 10-15 pounds without sacrificing strength

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjPI9rNPbsU