Author Topic: A. Sherrod Blakely tweet about Sully  (Read 40171 times)

Re: A. Sherrod Blakely tweet about Sully
« Reply #135 on: December 25, 2014, 04:38:12 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
All of the hyperbole (fat/lazy/slow/bad at everything/caused cancer and world war 2) attached to Sullinger smacks of some serious recency bias.

He's been slumping for what? 10 games? He was putting up borderline all-star numbers before that and pretty decent numbers for all of last season as well. The poor performances are going to have to go on for far longer to convince me that the Sullinger we had before is gone forever.

Perhaps he's going through some personal issues. Perhaps he's carrying an injury. We have no way of knowing and for now it should be sufficient that we trust management to deal with the situation as best as possible. If he's still playing like this at end of season then we can talk about cutting him loose.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #136 on: December 25, 2014, 08:53:11 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
You know maybe there's a possibility that Sullinger is fustrated with losing.

I wouldn't blame him one bit.

Losing really sucks if you're a player or a fan.

I can't understand the notion that the appropriate response to being frustrated with losing is to sulk and pack it in.

He should be frustrated with losing, but it should make him want to compete harder, not compete less.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #137 on: December 25, 2014, 09:07:25 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I was hoping sully would've been traded when he was playing well early on, while his value may have been at it's highest.

I actually like Sully and think with hard work he could see an all-star game. but a number of things make me want to just see him moved. like he is an undersized player(I hate that), he doesn't seem committed to his body, 2 yrs. in a row now we've seen him fade. and why that's happening is because we've encouraged him to become a 3 pt. shooter(which he isn't, but everyone thinks he has to be a 3 pt. shooter), same thing happened last yr. his 3 pt. shot went south and eventually he got benched.

his game has become Antoine 2.0, he pretty much runs from 3 pt. line to 3 pt. line, he's just lazy. and we've encouraged it, we've ruined this player.

If Sully became Antoine 2.0, I think we would all be jumping for joy, but I assume you are speaking about just three point shooting and nothing else.

Obviously last night's game was about as bad as it could get for somebody like him and he will bounce back, but he does have some serious conditioning issues - we should hire Salt 'n Pepa to follow him around all day.

Antoine's last couple yr's here were sad. if he didn't put up 8 3's a game you wouldn't know he played.

last yr. and now this yr., sully's poor 3 pt. shooting has effected his whole game. he's heading down Antoine's path...and we're encouraging it.

I don't want to turn this into an Antoine thread, but his last two seasons in Boston were the Celtics' most successful in quite some time. In those two years he scored 22.1 and 20.1 ppg and the team made it to the conference finals and conference semi-finals. In his return in 04-05, he shot a career high fg% and was definitely not the reason the Cs didn't advance in the playoffs.

I understand that Antoine shot a high number of threes, but he was so good at so many things...much better than Sully will ever likely be.

I acknowledge what Antoine did for this team. but his game certainly was a reason why we didn't advance. because we ultimately needed him to do these other things that we all knew he could do, but he insisted on running from 3 pt. line to 3 pt. line.

as much as I liked that team i'm not afraid to admit the East was a bad conference back then. and that's a big reason why we made it where we made it.

« Reply #138 on: December 25, 2014, 09:09:54 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I can't understand the notion that the appropriate response to being frustrated with losing is to sulk and pack it in.

He should be frustrated with losing, but it should make him want to compete harder, not compete less.

Have you ever been in a bad work situation where nothing you did seemed to matter?  Ever had a boss you thought didn't know what he was doing?

Mike

« Reply #139 on: December 25, 2014, 09:17:16 AM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

Have you ever been in a bad work situation where nothing you did seemed to matter?  Ever had a boss you thought didn't know what he was doing?

Mike

If you are trying to say that those situations apply to Sully, that is pure speculation, and most likely, totally irrelevant.
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #140 on: December 25, 2014, 09:28:06 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Mike

No to the former, yes to the latter.

I certainly hope that as one of the best players on the team, Sully isn't thinking that nothing he does matters.  Because, his level of play absolutely matters under these adverse conditions. 

I'm not ready to write him off just yet,  but he needs to start to play like it matters again. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #141 on: December 25, 2014, 09:39:11 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
if he stops taking 3's his game will come back.

« Reply #142 on: December 25, 2014, 09:43:41 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I don't think it's that simple.  While I agree that his strength and touch on the inside are his best qualities, the fact that he has the ability to hit shots from long range is a skill that if mixed in correctly should be able to add to his game. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #143 on: December 25, 2014, 09:53:32 AM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
He has had games where he looked like an all star.  Now he is struggling.  It's a slump.  No big deal. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #144 on: December 25, 2014, 10:01:37 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Sullinger shot 44% for 3's in the month of December.

He needs to shoot more 3's.

« Reply #145 on: December 25, 2014, 10:14:09 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
He has had games where he looked like an all star.  Now he is struggling.  It's a slump.  No big deal.

My only problem with this apology is that slumps shouldn't happen on the defensive end for a consistent period of time unless you kind of suck at defense in general.

« Reply #146 on: December 25, 2014, 10:27:41 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
His offensive slump is not the problem, his attitude and defensive effort is the problem. His taking 3's are at times a result of him not running the floor and not hustling.

He carries an unearned swagger around with him.

« Reply #147 on: December 25, 2014, 10:49:42 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
His offensive slump is not the problem, his attitude and defensive effort is the problem. His taking 3's are at times a result of him not running the floor and not hustling.

He carries an unearned swagger around with him.
Tru dat.

« Reply #148 on: December 25, 2014, 10:52:08 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
All of the hyperbole (fat/lazy/slow/bad at everything/caused cancer and world war 2) attached to Sullinger smacks of some serious recency bias.

He's been slumping for what? 10 games? He was putting up borderline all-star numbers before that and pretty decent numbers for all of last season as well. The poor performances are going to have to go on for far longer to convince me that the Sullinger we had before is gone forever.

Perhaps he's going through some personal issues. Perhaps he's carrying an injury. We have no way of knowing and for now it should be sufficient that we trust management to deal with the situation as best as possible. If he's still playing like this at end of season then we can talk about cutting him loose.
He is fat. And the slowest player in the team (Wallace doesn't count). The problem can be easily fixed and indeed it might be due to some serious issues we do not know. But it is high time it was fixed.

« Reply #149 on: December 25, 2014, 11:25:36 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

He is fat. And the slowest player in the team (Wallace doesn't count). The problem can be easily fixed and indeed it might be due to some serious issues we do not know. But it is high time it was fixed.

You honestly think Sully could beat Wallace in a race?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale