Author Topic: The possibility that some pro-Rondo fans are younger  (Read 6030 times)

Re: The possibility that some pro-Rondo fans are younger
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2014, 06:02:15 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Thanks to everyone who posted a response, even if it was of the "this doesn't apply to me so it must be false" variety. Obviously there are all different types of "keep Rondo" supporters, I never claimed otherwise. It was just something I thought about after Simmons brought it up on his pod - how would I feel if Rondo was my favorite player growing up and all he said in the press were positive things about staying? Wouldn't I tend to believe it?

Whether or not you believed there was a chance in him staying was the key to whether or not he should be traded, because Ainge had to get something for him if he was leaving. The Celtics believed after a free agent tour Rondo would see reality and jump ship. Considering how bad the team is right now, I don't really see how there could be an alternate conclusion.

If somebody really wants to keep Rondo, they should also be exhorting Ainge to start dealing his young players and draft picks for guys who can win now. Though there are no superstars available, there are plenty of veterans out there on outsized deals their teams would be happy to get rid of for any asset.

translation: I don't care how many people say my theory is wrong, I'm right

Haha, no that's not true at all. I was careful to say "some fans" in my original post. It wasn't meant to characterize all fans who were against dealing Rondo. I even used the word "possibility" to emphasize that it was just a theory.

Some of the responses disagreed and offered more reasoning than just "well I'm old and I feel this way" or "I'm young and I don't feel that way," as if it were not possible for both to be true. That's what I was getting at in the statement you bolded.

Maybe it was a little too simplistic a theory but I'm glad it provoked some discussion. Even though every person is different, I do think that different generations and experiences with the team might cause one to have different viewpoints on rebuilding philosophy.