Author Topic: With whom can we trade up to get a top 5 pick for the 2015 draft?  (Read 24586 times)

Re: With whom can we trade up to get a top 5 pick for the 2015 draft?
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2014, 06:20:22 PM »

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
As long as the other teams play nice, DA has some options this year to make a good move.

Those things don't happen when it comes to giving up top picks... we won't be the only team trying to move up for a franchise centre so it's not as if they have no other option but to take DA's junk
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2014, 03:47:53 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Jeff Goodman Mock from yesterday -

10 Mario Hezonja Boston Celtics COLLEGE: Croatia HT: 6-7 WT: 200 POS: SF
Analysis: The long and athletic Croatian wing plays for FC Barcelona in the ACB League, and can really shoot the ball. Hezonja can score from all three levels, which is something the Celtics desperately need from that spot.

Hezonja is very good, he could easily be our SG for the future. And then could use the Clippers pick to grab Dakari or another big available at that point.

At the top of the Draft I expect Okafor, Town, WCS and Porzingis to all go top 5. That eliminates the elite rim protectors in the class. If not in the top 5 the Cs will likely be looking at their SF of the future with the aforementioned Hezonja along with S Johnson, Winslow or Oubre. I can them see DA working hard to move up with the Clippers 1st and 76ers 2nd to target Poeltl or D Johnson.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2014, 04:41:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I always figured the C's for 3rd worst record (went on record for 5th worst to give myself some wiggle room) before the Rondo trade.  Post trade, C's are a lock for bottom 5 and probably bottom 3.

posted this in another thread:
C's had climbed to 10th worst record but have sunk to the 9th worst.

Indy and Charlotte look poised to pass the C's in the next 5 games which would push them to 7th worst.

Utah and the Lakers should pass them in the next 10 games which gets them to 5th worst. 

Detroit is playing better now that they've dumped Josh.  They're just 4 games behind the C's.  I would figure them to pass the C's in the next 20 games (probably less) or 25 at the latest.  C's then have 4th worst record.

If Minny gets everyone back healthy in the next 10 games (primarily Rubio and Pek), I could see them catching the C's before the end of the season. 

NY is the Bucks of this season -- grossly underperforming for the talent on the roster.  They aren't contenders but there's no way they should only have 5 wins so far this year, particularly with Melo healthy all season.  If they finally put it together, they could also catch the C's before the end of the season.

The only team in the league that is a clearcut inferior team to the C's is Philly.

--> bottom line, C's should be bad enough to garner one of the centers available in the draft this year barring a brutal screw job in the lottery draft.

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2014, 05:12:52 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I always figured the C's for 3rd worst record (went on record for 5th worst to give myself some wiggle room) before the Rondo trade.  Post trade, C's are a lock for bottom 5 and probably bottom 3.

posted this in another thread:
C's had climbed to 10th worst record but have sunk to the 9th worst.

Indy and Charlotte look poised to pass the C's in the next 5 games which would push them to 7th worst.

Utah and the Lakers should pass them in the next 10 games which gets them to 5th worst. 

Detroit is playing better now that they've dumped Josh.  They're just 4 games behind the C's.  I would figure them to pass the C's in the next 20 games (probably less) or 25 at the latest.  C's then have 4th worst record.

If Minny gets everyone back healthy in the next 10 games (primarily Rubio and Pek), I could see them catching the C's before the end of the season. 

NY is the Bucks of this season -- grossly underperforming for the talent on the roster.  They aren't contenders but there's no way they should only have 5 wins so far this year, particularly with Melo healthy all season.  If they finally put it together, they could also catch the C's before the end of the season.

The only team in the league that is a clearcut inferior team to the C's is Philly.

--> bottom line, C's should be bad enough to garner one of the centers available in the draft this year barring a brutal screw job in the lottery draft.

If you look at our point differential, we are closer to middle of pack. I don't think we are a bottom 5 team, and I would not be surprised if we still managed to slip into the playoffs. Besides Okafor and Porzingis, I am pretty unimpressed with bigs in this upcoming draft. WCS is a role player, and Town seems to be very over hyped. He's young, but he has not impressed on court so far this season, at least in games of Kentucky I have watched. 

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2014, 05:26:58 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I think NYK might be a good trade partner.  They will be looking to make a big FA splash and multiple lower salary rooks and/or a ready made player (and maybe future picks to fill their empty pantry) might be more appealing than a 19-year-old big man.

Say they end up at #2 and we end up at #7.  The #7, Sully and the Clips pick could be a very appealing offer.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2014, 05:50:04 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
I think NYK might be a good trade partner.  They will be looking to make a big FA splash and multiple lower salary rooks and/or a ready made player (and maybe future picks to fill their empty pantry) might be more appealing than a 19-year-old big man.

Say they end up at #2 and we end up at #7.  The #7, Sully and the Clips pick could be a very appealing offer.

There is no way NYK makes that trade.  You are completely undervaluing the worth teams place on top picks.  Look at last year's draft trades.  Chicago had to give up their #16 and #19 picks to move up to #11 to take McDermott.  Orlando had to give up the #12, a 2015 2nd round pick and a 2017 1st round pick to move up to #10 to take Elfrid Payton.  The Clips pick and Sully just don't have that much value. 

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2014, 06:36:20 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I agree with those that have said how hard it is to trade into the top 5, especially in a good draft.  Thankfully this is a draft that has some really talent into the top 6-7 picks, which is why I fully support moving our vets .  Even if we don't win the lotto, getting a pick in that 5-7 range would be a big step in the recruiting process.

For me, the more feasible move is to try move up into the 9-14 range by combining the LAC pick with some other goodies.  I think there are going to be some talent to nab in that range in this year's draft.  I could see people passing on Myles Turner because of his lack of athleticism or passing on Cliff Alexander because his lack of polish and lack of height.  If so I'd love to see us move up and get one of those guys.  If we could come out of this draft with something like Prisnaps and Cliff Alexander I would be thrilled.

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2014, 07:09:31 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Heres what is interesting. The top six teams for the lotto as of now is Philly,NY,Detroit,Minny,Charlotte,Utah.

Philly has Noel,Embiid,Saric.
NY has nothing for bigs
Detroit has Monroe and Drummond
Minny has Bennett and Dieng.
Utah has Kanter,Favors, Gobert
Charlotte has Jefferson,Zeller,Bymbio,Vonleh

The Knicks  are the only team that NEEDs a big. Every one else has something in place. And if they decide to make a upgrade, they may be willing to sell some what cheap for a complementary big.

Like Detroit could use a shooting PF to play next to either Drummond or Monroe. We have KO and Sully to use and to keep. Or say Charlotte needs a wing. We have Green,Turner,Thorton,AB.

As long as the other teams play nice, DA has some options this year to make a good move.

Just because teams already have a young center or two, or maybe a more established middle of the pack center doesnt mean theyre not gonna want to draft a potential franchise cornerstone big man.  All those teams you mentioned arent one player away from contention at another position.

Out of all those teams I could only see Philly thinking about trading us Noel, or possibly Embiid, but I dont think theyd move him either
Greg

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2014, 07:16:06 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
the only team I could really see even thinking about trading the right to pick Okafor or Towns is the Pelicans and while I still doubt they would it, if lightning struck and they somehow had that pick, I dont think theyd trade it right away, theyd move the player later on down the line for the right veteran star that would be the missing piece for their team.

same scenario for Houston too I guess.  But these teams wont be picking at 1,2, or, 3 anyway.  Theyre good teams on the rise.  Because they have great big men.  Which is why no one would ever trade this pick to us
Greg

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2014, 07:19:26 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
That's not true.  It's definitely happened before.  Remember Seattle trading up to get the #5 pick in order to land Jeff Green?  That's only time I can remember the C's doing it off the top of my head.  But it's definitely happened dozens of times before.

We know there will be at least one established, playoff-cusp team that lands in the top 5 that would prefer a veteran that can help immediately instead of another draftee.  They'll trade for slightly lower pick(s) if it can land them a veteran player.  By that point Sullinger will be a 3rd year vet, and AB a 4th year vet.

Obviously they aren't worth a top 5 pick on their own.  But Danny Ainge can offer as many as 4 first round picks over the next few years and STILL leave us with plenty of picks to keep deepening our talent pool.

What GM says no to 4 first round picks plus either Sullinger or AB?

Coming from a Washington Redskins fan.  Im gonna give a big fat UGH! to trading 4 unprotected first round picks to draft one of these guys
Greg

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2014, 07:22:43 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I agree with those that have said how hard it is to trade into the top 5, especially in a good draft.  Thankfully this is a draft that has some really talent into the top 6-7 picks, which is why I fully support moving our vets .  Even if we don't win the lotto, getting a pick in that 5-7 range would be a big step in the recruiting process.

For me, the more feasible move is to try move up into the 9-14 range by combining the LAC pick with some other goodies.  I think there are going to be some talent to nab in that range in this year's draft.  I could see people passing on Myles Turner because of his lack of athleticism or passing on Cliff Alexander because his lack of polish and lack of height.  If so I'd love to see us move up and get one of those guys.  If we could come out of this draft with something like Prisnaps and Cliff Alexander I would be thrilled.
This is a false argument. The Celtics need a top-3 pick, IMO.  Getting a 5-7 pick is nice but it also means there were 4-6 players who were better in that draft. You don't win championships by taking good players, you need GREAT PLAYERS.  And pleas, do not start with the "getting lucky" in that range. It is possible but a GM cannot count on it.

There is no hope whatsoever to trade up into the top-3 as others have already explained. The only way to do that is to have a superstar who is still producing that you are willing to trade away. Even Rajon Rondo would not have been enough as we just saw.

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2014, 07:28:54 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
None.

If teams think that the top 5 could have a game changer, a franchise player, no one would trade their pick.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2014, 07:39:42 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

This is a false argument. The Celtics need a top-3 pick, IMO.  Getting a 5-7 pick is nice but it also means there were 4-6 players who were better in that draft. You don't win championships by taking good players, you need GREAT PLAYERS.  And pleas, do not start with the "getting lucky" in that range. It is possible but a GM cannot count on it.

There is no hope whatsoever to trade up into the top-3 as others have already explained. The only way to do that is to have a superstar who is still producing that you are willing to trade away. Even Rajon Rondo would not have been enough as we just saw.

the last time I could remember a team trading into the top 3 was when the Bulls traded Elton Brand to the Clippers for Tyson Chandler who was taken #2.  Keep in mind Elton Brand was taken #1 in the draft just two years before and had already established himself as a 20/10 PF in the league......and even on top of that, correct me if im misremembering, Chandler wasnt regarded as a sure thing and wasnt even the consensus #2 pick after Kwame.   That draft was a mess.

Greg

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2014, 07:55:53 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

the last time I could remember a team trading into the top 3 was when the Bulls traded Elton Brand to the Clippers for Tyson Chandler who was taken #2.  Keep in mind Elton Brand was taken #1 in the draft just two years before and had already established himself as a 20/10 PF in the league......and even on top of that, correct me if im misremembering, Chandler wasnt regarded as a sure thing and wasnt even the consensus #2 pick after Kwame.   That draft was a mess.
Yes, exactly my point. We don't have a young 20/10 PF to use as trade bait. Closest thing is Sully and he has little trade value by himself, but even if you throw in other assets the Celts have now (pick any you like, Green, Bass, 1st round picks, TPE) there is still no way another team loses the chance for Okafor or Towns.

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

The Celtics built there 2008 title team without a top 3 pick.  It makes things a heck of a lot easier if you get a top 3, but there are other ways to get talent.

In a draft link 2014 (and hopefully 2015) the talent available in the 4-7 range is better than talent in the 1-3 in lesser drafts.  People smarter than me have said that Marcus Smart would've been the number 1 pick in the 2013 draft.  Not all drafts are created equal. 

And even if we don't get our godhead game changer in the 4-7 range, we can still get a fairly impactful player that can either be part of our next playoff caliber team, or that person may be the main piece in a trade that nets us our next hall of fame caliber player.  No one would mistake Al Jefferson for an MVP level player, but he was the main piece that was used to secure Kevin Garnett for the C's.  And I would not be surprised to see a prospect of Big Al's level come out of the 4-7 range in this year's draft.