Author Topic: Mavs lose at home to hawks  (Read 14443 times)

Re: Mavs lose at home to hawks
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I watched this game.

The Hawks completley refused to guard Rondo, and he kept missing open jumpers + his defense was horrible, he kept doing that whole thing where he lets his opponent go by and try to steal from behind but it was working and that German PG scored a ton of easy buckets.

This was in the 1st quarter though, he got better as the night went on and was the reason they got back to within 2.

I think following how Rondo does in his games in Dallas is interesting.  It doesn't have to be simply Rondo Bashing or Rondo Praising but it is nice to hear more detail about the games than the regular outlets put out.

Thanks Incoherent for this post.  I didn't see the game and I was wondering if teams were still playing the sag off Rondo defense.

Next to the actual Celtics games, I would think most Celtics fans are going to be very interested in Dallas games because of Rondo and because of the draft pick.  I am fine if there is a thread after every game but I suspect interest will settle down after a while.

For those complaining about these threads, what did you expect?  Did you really think there wouldn't be some people who would jump to conclusions after one game?  Did you really think there wouldn't be "I told you so" posts every time Rondo had a good or bad game?

So far, Rondo has been exactly what he was lately with the Celtics; pretty good but not really moving the needle.  It also has only been two games so it would be foolish to give up on Rondo just yet.

I missed most of the 3rd quarter but watched the rest of the game.  I didn't see many of the "let the opponent go by and go for the steal moves".  Dallas has a lot of defensive problems.  Dominique Wilkins commented several times how poorly the Dallas bigs were defending the P&R.  I don't know what the stats show but Ellis, Parsons and Dirk appear to be below average defenders at best.  Offensively, Atlanta was sagging off Rondo some which was causing some problems. However when Rondo went to the bench with two fouls in the 1st quarter the Atlanta defense still shutdown the Dallas offense and there were still spacing problems.  From these two games I've seen and looking at the box scores of their previous games against the best western conference teams, I think the vaunted Dallas offense is much less impressive than advertised. 

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2014, 05:17:01 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
It's been two games. Can the anti and pro Rondo people hold off until we've got more games under our belt to have an idea about if he'll help or hurt them? This isn't the NFL, the season is very long.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2014, 07:18:15 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Dirk's December including last night's game = 31 mpg (most this month so far this season), 17 PPG, 6 RPG, FG 42%, 3FG 21%, efficiency down from Nov's 48%/37% with -2 PPG & increase of about +3 mpg.

Both Parsons and Monta have been crushing is this December, except for last night, shooting 36% combined including 1 for 8 from 3PT land.

Are the Mavs missing Jameer Nelson and Wright.....THAT much??? ****!

Rondo is not a very efficient shooter....we know that....so does the league, so where pray tell did the Mavs offense go these last two games?

Did Dirk go on holiday already?

« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2014, 01:22:58 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Bad loss to Phx now also. 
Rondo turning over 5 times, while the guy he was guarding messed around & got a triple double.    That's 1-2 now in the Rondo era, not good.

« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2014, 08:15:20 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
How is 1-2 not good? On a brand new team with not much practice time with them under his belt? If after 20 games the number isn't in his favor I could see bringing it up. But less the 5 games in?
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2014, 08:52:16 AM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
I've watched most of every game he has played on the Mavs, and I don't see him making a difference in the games yet. It's still early but so far he hasn't been an impact player. That could obviously change as its only been 3 games but in the West you don't have a lot of time to get yourself together, especially this year.

« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2014, 09:22:28 AM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
How is 1-2 not good? On a brand new team with not much practice time with them under his belt? If after 20 games the number isn't in his favor I could see bringing it up. But less the 5 games in?

It's below .500...it's a losing record...by definition it is NOT GOOD. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2014, 10:43:42 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Rondo turning over 5 times, while the guy he was guarding messed around & got a triple double.    That's 1-2 now in the Rondo era, not good.

Before the Rondo trade, the Mavs lost to Phoenix by 12 points in their previous meeting.  Their win against the Spurs bench was their 1st against any top West conference team this year.  Despite their record, the Mavs are a very flawed team which shows when they face the better teams in the league.   

« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2014, 10:52:29 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

It's below .500...it's a losing record...by definition it is NOT GOOD.
its 3 games...its a silly sized small sample...by definition it is MEANINGLESS.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2014, 10:53:58 AM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513

Before the Rondo trade, the Mavs lost to Phoenix by 12 points in their previous meeting.  Their win against the Spurs bench was their 1st against any top West conference team this year.  Despite their record, the Mavs are a very flawed team which shows when they face the better teams in the league.   

The Mavs might be "very flawed" but they were a much better offensive team without Rondo. I'm glad we got rid of him as he isn't the guy he used to be. The guy we once loved.  :'(

« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2014, 11:13:56 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

The Mavs might be "very flawed" but they were a much better offensive team without Rondo. I'm glad we got rid of him as he isn't the guy he used to be. The guy we once loved.  :'(
i believe the mavs were more enamored with rondo's possible contribution to defense than offense. defense was their weakness, and rondo potentially would improve their defense and NOT diminish their offense....or so the plan went i believe.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I don't think they were that good of an offensive team.  I think their vaunted offensive numbers were mostly from beating up on the worst teams in the league.  Overall they were averaging 110 ppg but in the five games against the top West conference they only averaged 96 ppg and their shooting percentages dropped dramatically.  That pretty mediocre offensive performance added to their poor defense wasn't going to get them far in the playoffs.  With the addition of Rondo, I think they have a slightly better chance in the playoffs but they are still a decided underdog. 

By the way before their victory against the Spurs bench, the Mavs had lost 10 straight games to the Spurs. 

« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2014, 11:29:21 AM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513

I don't think they were that good of an offensive team. I think their vaunted offensive numbers were mostly from beating up on the worst teams in the league. Overall they were averaging 110 ppg but in the five games against the top West conference they only averaged 96 ppg and their shooting percentages dropped dramatically.  That pretty mediocre offensive performance added to their poor defense wasn't going to get them far in the playoffs.  With the addition of Rondo, I think they have a slightly better chance in the playoffs but they are still a decided underdog. 

By the way before their victory against the Spurs bench, the Mavs had lost 10 straight games to the Spurs.

That doesn't change anything. That really is just an excuse. They were still the top team and watching them play now there really isn't as much ball movement as there used to be because Rondo needs the ball in his hand to be effective. Being from Texas, I get to watch a lot of Dallas games and they looked like a contender to me before the Rondo trade.

« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2014, 11:33:55 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

i believe the mavs were more enamored with rondo's possible contribution to defense than offense. defense was their weakness, and rondo potentially would improve their defense and NOT diminish their offense....or so the plan went i believe.

Rondo's defense, rebounding, and intangibles were what the Mavs brain trust talked about.  From watching the games, they've clearly ask him to focus on defense.  Rondo ended up fouling out of the Suns game and was in foul trouble in the Hawks games.  Rondo hasn't played great but I expected him to struggle more than he has to fit in.  After the first game, Dirk quipped that Rondo already knew the Mavs playbook better than some of his team mates. 

« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2014, 11:40:45 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I don't think they were that good of an offensive team. I think their vaunted offensive numbers were mostly from beating up on the worst teams in the league. Overall they were averaging 110 ppg but in the five games against the top West conference they only averaged 96 ppg and their shooting percentages dropped dramatically.  That pretty mediocre offensive performance added to their poor defense wasn't going to get them far in the playoffs.  With the addition of Rondo, I think they have a slightly better chance in the playoffs but they are still a decided underdog. 

That doesn't change anything. That really is just an excuse. They were still the top team and watching them play now there really isn't as much ball movement as there used to be because Rondo needs the ball in his hand to be effective. Being from Texas, I get to watch a lot of Dallas games and they looked like a contender to me before the Rondo trade.

The fact that they have played dramatically worse offensively against the best West conference teams is an excuse?  My explanation is that they are a fools gold offense that becomes decidedly average against the top teams with the top defenses.  That seems reasonable but maybe I'm wrong.  What is your explanation for their dramatic offensive decline against the best teams?