Author Topic: Mavs lose at home to hawks  (Read 14482 times)

Re: Mavs lose at home to hawks
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2014, 02:30:24 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
so every time the Mavs lose we're going get a thread that's basically "ha! rondo sucks! I told you so"?

Well . . . duh
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2014, 02:33:47 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I watched this game.

The Hawks completley refused to guard Rondo, and he kept missing open jumpers + his defense was horrible, he kept doing that whole thing where he lets his opponent go by and try to steal from behind but it was working and that German PG scored a ton of easy buckets.

This was in the 1st quarter though, he got better as the night went on and was the reason they got back to within 2.
Rondo had some good individual defensive games in the 4th. Unfortunately, individual accomplishments at the end of the game aren't as important as the team functioning well together. It will take time to integrate Rondo. We can expect that they will never return to their previous offensive efficiency, but we might see a better overall team that can handle the playoffs better. Or we might not. The West is tough regardless.

Personally, I'm hoping Dallas really blows it and we get another lottery pick this season.

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2014, 02:39:25 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I watched this game.

The Hawks completley refused to guard Rondo, and he kept missing open jumpers + his defense was horrible, he kept doing that whole thing where he lets his opponent go by and try to steal from behind but it was working and that German PG scored a ton of easy buckets.

This was in the 1st quarter though, he got better as the night went on and was the reason they got back to within 2.
Rondo had some good individual defensive games in the 4th. Unfortunately, individual accomplishments at the end of the game aren't as important as the team functioning well together. It will take time to integrate Rondo. We can expect that they will never return to their previous offensive efficiency, but we might see a better overall team that can handle the playoffs better. Or we might not. The West is tough regardless.

Personally, I'm hoping Dallas really blows it and we get another lottery pick this season.
That would be great.  They're 5 games up on the 8th seed right now.  We can hope, but I wouldn't bet against Carlisle and Nowitzki.

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2014, 02:41:41 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Mavs lose, Rondo plays badly: "I knew he would hurt them, he's no better than Jameer Nelson!"

Mavs lose, Rondo plays well: "Rondo's still getting his numbers but can't make anyone around him better!"

Mavs win, Rondo plays well: "Rondo was dogging it on the C's, he's such a scumbag!"

Mavs win, Rondo plays poorly: "Rondo can't even play well surrounded by good players!"

Does that about cover it, people?

True with some people, but then again so is the opposite with others:

Mavs lose, Rondo plays badly: "It's not his fault, it's a new team."

Mavs lose, Rondo plays well: "Rondo is a top 5 PG, not his fault. See, Danny was a fool to trade him."

Mavs win, Rondo plays well: "Rondo is the best PG in the league. See, Danny was a fool to trade him."

Mavs win, Rondo plays poorly: "Wrong system isn't using Rondo's strengths."
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2014, 02:50:17 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
TP Granath.
Rondo is a flawed player. You can't blame others all the time for his defects.

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2014, 02:50:41 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
Mavs lose, Rondo plays badly: "I knew he would hurt them, he's no better than Jameer Nelson!"

Mavs lose, Rondo plays well: "Rondo's still getting his numbers but can't make anyone around him better!"

Mavs win, Rondo plays well: "Rondo was dogging it on the C's, he's such a scumbag!"

Mavs win, Rondo plays poorly: "Rondo can't even play well surrounded by good players!"

Mavs lose, Rondo plays well: "Rondo is a top 5 PG, not his fault. See, Danny was a fool to trade him."

Mavs win, Rondo plays well: "Rondo is the best PG in the league. See, Danny was a fool to trade him."

TP

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2014, 02:53:41 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gev_Phjl764
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2014, 03:06:01 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I watched this game.

That would be great.  They're 5 games up on the 8th seed right now.  We can hope, but I wouldn't bet against Carlisle and Nowitzki.
SA will put their foot on the gas pedal at some point and OKC will tear it up the rest of the way unless Durant is going to keep getting hurt. If Dallas has adjustment issues, they will need to stay ahead of NO and Phx. Very doable, but with the number of strong teams in the west and 2 teams 5 games back, they can't afford to continue playing as they have the last 2 games.

One interesting number: .481. That is the Mavs' strength of schedule so far, 8th lowest in the league. Fortunately for them, the Suns have the second lowest so far at .455, which means Phx will probably see a tougher schedule the rest of the way. On the other hand, NO has face a .541 SOS. I suppose swapping 2 GS games for 2 Phi games could cover the difference, but I haven't looked into the details of the schedules for these teams.

The chances of us getting the 14th pick are still better than the odds of Austin Rivers making an all-star game.

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2014, 03:40:26 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I watched this game.

I think following how Rondo does in his games in Dallas is interesting.  It doesn't have to be simply Rondo Bashing or Rondo Praising but it is nice to hear more detail about the games than the regular outlets put out.

Thanks Incoherent for this post.  I didn't see the game and I was wondering if teams were still playing the sag off Rondo defense.

Next to the actual Celtics games, I would think most Celtics fans are going to be very interested in Dallas games because of Rondo and because of the draft pick.  I am fine if there is a thread after every game but I suspect interest will settle down after a while.

For those complaining about these threads, what did you expect?  Did you really think there wouldn't be some people who would jump to conclusions after one game?  Did you really think there wouldn't be "I told you so" posts every time Rondo had a good or bad game?

So far, Rondo has been exactly what he was lately with the Celtics; pretty good but not really moving the needle.  It also has only been two games so it would be foolish to give up on Rondo just yet.

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2014, 03:46:38 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
TP Granath.

All players have flaws.  Rondo has his but he is also a multi-talented player who can help a teams in a number of different ways.  Most players are a lot more flawed than Rondo and a lot less talented. 

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2014, 03:55:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I don't think Rondo is really all that important ,  he is an asset ....yes he can help....but they can win without him....no problem

Dirk is what makes or breaks the Mavs ......his shooting is unreal on a nitely  basis

When he was out ...injuried couple years ago?..... They couldn't win a game to save their lives , they went like 2 and 10 , till he came back .

Rondo will help Dirk .......but Dirk has to put the ball in the hole , no Dirk .....Rondo an't a scoring machine.

Dirk is the cold blooded shooter since Reggie Miller......he hits important shot after important shot to make runs,  break opponents runs or win games.

If Dirk gets hurt even some .....it will kill the Mavs .

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2014, 04:01:06 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
TP Granath.

All players have flaws.  Rondo has his but he is also a multi-talented player who can help a teams in a number of different ways.  Most players are a lot more flawed than Rondo and a lot less talented.

You're totally right. The problem is Rondo is perceived much more than he is.

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2014, 04:07:56 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Most players are a lot more flawed than Rondo ....

Really?  Most players shoot 34% FT%.?  Most player are sagged off and dared to shoot?

....and a lot less talented.

This part is true.  Rondo has rare and unsurpassed court vision and passing ability.

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2014, 04:13:24 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
This is just sad. The man is not even on this team anymore. Did he take your wife or something?

Yeah it is sad, lol.

It makes us look rather small as a fan base, TBH.

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2014, 04:23:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Most players are a lot more flawed than Rondo ....

Really?  Most players shoot 34% FT%.?  Most player are sagged off and dared to shoot?

I'd say the number of players that are sagged off to the extent Rondo is would surprise you. I'd also say you probably don't consider not being able to rebound/pass/run an offense like Rondo or having his court vision or BBIQ to be real flaws.