Author Topic: Vince Carter: Will we ever see a greater in-game dunker?  (Read 7631 times)

Re: Vince Carter: Will we ever see a greater in-game dunker?
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2014, 07:29:37 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Due to the rampant PEDs in the game at some point we probably will see better dunkers.

But it's hard to imagine. MJ, Gerald Green, and Vince all produced in game moments that seemed to break the laws of physics. "Wait. How did he start going down, and then start going up again?"

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2014, 07:47:51 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
'Nique, of course, was the best. Dr. J was close (still could dunk at 63 years old). David Thompson deserves to be in this discussion. Kemp, Griffiths and quite a few others here could match up with Carter.

But I'm throwing out another name I haven't seen here - Larry Nance. The 6'10" dude could easily hit his head on the rim when he went up. I've never seen a guy get as high as he did and he could bring it down with authoritah. The High-Ayatolla of Slamola defeated Dr. J (albeit an aging one) at the first slam dunk contest.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Re: Vince Carter: Will we ever see a greater in-gamive e dunker?
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2014, 02:05:31 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I've always liked the put back dunk for sheer power, timing and athleticism.  Rodney Rogers was among the best at that.
http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=iOt22wFIE-U
Yup

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2014, 02:15:09 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I'm suprised no one mentioned this play from the Celtics' very own Bill Russell.

http://youtu.be/j2AlFrOj5Mc

If I recall correctly, dunking was illegal at the time, but this would have been an insane one.

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2014, 02:16:43 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I remember someone probably in one of those dunk contests saying that Vince Carter was such a incredible dunker because he was equally able to do exceptional dunks off of both one leg or two leg jumps. While most players were either a two legged or one legged leaper in dunks. Very few where able to both at a high level.

Dominique Wilkins, for example, almost all of his top dunks come from two feet jumps which is part of the reason why he was able to get so much power behind him. But it also made him less versatile than Vince in the types of dunks he could complete.