Author Topic: Vince Carter: Will we ever see a greater in-game dunker?  (Read 7617 times)

Re: Vince Carter: Will we ever see a greater in-game dunker?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 11:57:39 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Griffin ,  Westbrook have been just as good as Carter

You could make a case for Griffin.  Westbrook?  No way.  Not on the same plane as Carter... And there are several others in the NBA today who I'd measure up to Carter before I'd consider Westbrook.

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 12:02:22 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 12:06:46 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Only if you enjoy posting things that are wrong.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 12:17:04 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Not that this is the point, but I'm not sure if I've seen a point guard dunk harder than Westbrook. Maybe KJ or Penny.

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 12:54:30 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Big Baby

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 03:16:56 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Not that he is a great dunker but Karl Malone dunked on a lot of guys. Some people say he is the guy with most dunks in a nba career but don't know if that is true.

Thought I would just put it out there as a reference as to in game dunker.

Carter best dunk mixer.
Jordan best drive to the rim dunker.
Dr.J best fast break dunker. (LeBron 2nd)
Kemp best facial dunks.
Wilkins best one step dunks + two hands.
Blake best lob dunks.
Malone best I dunked on everyone dunker?

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2014, 06:28:31 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Kemp definitely pops out in my head.
Shaq should not be discriminated against because of his size.

For Celtics probably Ricky Davis of Pierce.
Yup

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 07:21:19 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Give me MJ, if only because I can't think of any meaningful dunks Carter actually had.  His game has historically been flash over substance, and I think his dunks are a reflection of that.

Over the last three seasons, Carter has dedicated himself to leadership and defense.  If he'd shown that commitment early in his career, he'd be known as an all-time great, rather than just as a great dunker.  Better late than never, but it's one of those "what might have been" things.

just a dunker? he is #25 all-time scorer in NBA history and pretty clutch early in his career.

He was at  UMass basketball camp in 1998 that I went to . He was putting on a dunk showcase ,it was amazing to watch that athleticism from about 10 ft away. :o

That's the day I realized I'd never be a professional athlete ha

25 years from now, if Carter is remembered, it will be because of his dunks, rather than as an all-around great player.  As good as his statistics are, he wasted a lot of potential.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2014, 08:00:01 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Julius Erving u mass !

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2014, 08:08:54 AM »

fitzhickey

Triboy's post gave me the giggles, but your response broke me, TP

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 09:07:44 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Give me MJ, if only because I can't think of any meaningful dunks Carter actually had.  His game has historically been flash over substance, and I think his dunks are a reflection of that.

Over the last three seasons, Carter has dedicated himself to leadership and defense.  If he'd shown that commitment early in his career, he'd be known as an all-time great, rather than just as a great dunker.  Better late than never, but it's one of those "what might have been" things.

just a dunker? he is #25 all-time scorer in NBA history and pretty clutch early in his career.

He was at  UMass basketball camp in 1998 that I went to . He was putting on a dunk showcase ,it was amazing to watch that athleticism from about 10 ft away. :o

25 years from now, if Carter is remembered, it will be because of his dunks, rather than as an all-around great player.  As good as his statistics are, he wasted a lot of potential.

Carter will forever be known as the greatest dunker in the NBA and in any in-game basketball game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 09:12:46 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Right back at you.

Snark aside, I think that it's nearly impossible to objectively rank dunkers: you wind up in that weird figure skating territory where everyone's got a vested interest and you're watching the Russians give other Russians 10's when they're getting 7's from everyone else.

Also, I can't believe it took two pages for Gerald Green to get mentioned. That windmill alley-oop dunk when he was on the Nets is still one of my favorites from the last couple of years. He's probably the best dunker in the game today.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 09:15:47 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Not that he is a great dunker but Karl Malone dunked on a lot of guys. Some people say he is the guy with most dunks in a nba career but don't know if that is true.

I'd have guessed Wilt.

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 09:19:29 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Carter will forever be known as the greatest dunker in the NBA and in any in-game basketball game

Only by the people who aren't old enough to have seen MJ play.

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2014, 09:23:27 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Right back at you.

Snark aside, I think that it's nearly impossible to objectively rank dunkers: you wind up in that weird figure skating territory where everyone's got a vested interest and you're watching the Russians give other Russians 10's when they're getting 7's from everyone else.

Also, I can't believe it took two pages for Gerald Green to get mentioned. That windmill alley-oop dunk when he was on the Nets is still one of my favorites from the last couple of years. He's probably the best dunker in the game today.

I actually thought of Green, but I also thought of David Thompson, started to look on youtube and got distracted.

You really need to define best dunker before you make a list. I'd go for best "high degree of difficulty" dunker over "style points on uncontested dunks".