Author Topic: Any chance of getting Atlanta's pick this year?  (Read 1202 times)

Any chance of getting Atlanta's pick this year?
« on: December 22, 2014, 09:18:45 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
This year Atlanta will be able to switch their first round pick with Brooklyn, and at this point it looks like Brooklyn will be competing just to get in to the playoffs.

That being said, is there any way to attain that pick from Atlanta? They're almost a lock to switch their pick with Brooklyn, and they look poised to make a deep run in the playoffs this year. Could a combination of Green and/or Bass pry this pick away from them? Green would be an excellent fit in Atlanta that would really help their team, and Bass would be a very reliable, playof-tested big to have coming off the bench to spell Milsap. What if we traded them Green and the Clips pick for their pick and salary filler?

The problem I'm finding is their lack of matching salary, and I'm not sure how to get a deal done there. Since they're under the cap, how much salary must they take back in return?

Re: Any chance of getting Atlanta's pick this year?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 09:31:14 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Atl should think long and hard about using that pick to acquire a player that can take them to the next level. With SF being a soft spot in their line-up, what's not to like about Green. I said this in a different thread, but if Green is willing to opt in next year (or sign an extension),how could they possibly do better through the draft?

I know that people will say that is a massive overpay for Atl, but why? Green is a number 5 pick who actually materialized into one of the top 5-6 players from his draft class, he is playing as well as he ever has, and he is around the same age as the rest of their core.

Frankly, I don't think we should have to give up a first. If others disagree, then I would like to see what we could do (with trades) to acquire players of Rondo's and Green's caliber with our firsts - it shouldn't be a problem.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 09:33:54 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't think Atlanta would have any interest in Bass or Jeff Green.

* They are getting great contributions from their PF rotation so I think Bass is a non-starter.

* DeMarre Carroll is doing a great job at SF and suits them perfectly with his hustle and scrappiness next to Korver. Jeff Green may be the better individual player but I do not he fits as well and do not see as much more than a lateral move. Carroll is on a fantastic cost-effective contract as well. I do not see them trading that in for Jeff Green's soon-to-be-huge-payday.

I think the draft pick is a lot more valuable to Atlanta than either of those players.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 09:34:16 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Atl should think long and hard about using that pick to acquire a player that can take them to the next level. With SF being a soft spot in their line-up, what's not to like about Green. I said this in a different thread, but if Green is willing to opt in next year (or sign an extension),how could they possibly do better through the draft?

I know that people will say that is a massive overpay for Atl, but why? Green is a number 5 pick who actually materialized into one of the top 5-6 players from his draft class, he is playing as well as he ever has, and he is around the same age as the rest of their core.

Frankly, I don't think we should have to give up a first. If others disagree, then I would like to see what we could do (with trades) to acquire players of Rondo's and Green's caliber with our firsts - it shouldn't be a problem.

I agree, I don't think they'll find a better wing in the draft with Brooklyn's pick. Of course, that also can apply to us, too!  ;D But Green doesn't really fit into our rebuilding plans right now.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 09:34:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Olynyk might be a better option for Atlanta. He suits their style of play offensively.

Maybe they choose Olynyk over a late lottery to 14-15th pick.

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 09:37:23 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Olynyk might be a better option for Atlanta. He suits their style of play offensively.

Maybe they choose Olynyk over a late lottery to 14-15th pick.

I'm a little more hesistant giving up Kelly for that pick, but I would probably end up doing it since that pick would give us a much greater chance of packaging the picks to move up in the draft if need be. Kelly's contract would make a trade with them much easier, too. In fact, an Olynyk for the pick trade would work straight up.

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 09:59:32 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
We could trade Olynyk for Schroder and their 1st  ;) jk jk

Seriously, though, Schroder is looking better and better every game.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 10:04:01 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

They do have an entrenched starter in Teague. Would a Schroeder Smart frontcourt work? Nasty defense at least.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 10:05:23 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I guess you could ask if we can do something like:

Boston sends:
Green, Wright, 2015 Clippers pick.

Atlanta sends: 2015 Pick (including swap rights with Brooklyn pick), salary filler.

Problem is that Carroll is playing well for them and I don't think adding Green gives them much of an upgrade. But they could have a need for Wright come playoff time and Green would be a slight upgrade over Carroll, at least defensively.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 10:05:44 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I don't think Atlanta would want anything to do with Olynk's lousy defense.  Their defense in the 1st half of the Dallas game has been really impressive.