Author Topic: ...and we couldn't get THIS from Sac for Rondo?  (Read 5828 times)

Re: ...and we couldn't get THIS from Sac for Rondo?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 08:27:30 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
If this happens I think it makes Sacramento a very dangerous team.  They are also reportedly one of the front runners for signing Josh Smith.

Deron
McLemore
Gay
Smith
Cousins

That's a VERY strong team

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 08:30:46 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
If this happens I think it makes Sacramento a very dangerous team.  They are also reportedly one of the front runners for signing Josh Smith.

Deron
McLemore
Gay
Smith
Cousins

Smith makes any team worse.  If Williams can stay healthy though, he is an upgrade over Collison.  He could cement the Kings position somewhere around the 7th best team in the West.

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 08:32:47 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I would have been more than happy with this trade w/Sac but they're willing to give this up for Deron Williams? Had Rondo fallen that far?

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/235954/Kings-Nets-Discussing-Deron-Williams-Trade

The Sacramento Kings and Brooklyn Nets are discussing a deal centered on Deron Williams.

Talks have centered upon Darren Collison, Derrick Williams and Jason Thompson for Williams.

Sacramento has significant interest with Williams, but a hurdle to a possible deal is the Kings? desire to have center Mason Plumlee included into the package, league sources said.

The Nets' partnership with Williams has become increasingly fractured over the past two years, and the idea of a breakup has appeal for both sides, sources tell Yahoo.

Williams has two full years and $43 million-plus left on his contract through the end of the 2017 season.

Read more at http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/235954/Kings-Nets-Discussing-Deron-Williams-Trade#BbcA87zaQqy3HT42.99

This is a terrible trade for Sacramento.  Collison has been as productive as Williams on a much, much better contract.  If they aren't sold on Collison, they ought to go after Dragic or Reggie Jackson in free agency.  Hopefully this doesn't go through because it lessens the chance of our Brooklyn picks being good. 

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 08:32:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Deron
McLemore
Gay
Smith
Cousins

Smith makes any team worse.  If Williams can stay healthy though, he is an upgrade over Collison.  He could cement the Kings position somewhere around the 7th best team in the West.

I think that Deron's lack of effort, lack of leadership, and lack of defense would be a net downgrade from Collison for the Kings.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 08:40:58 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

Deron
McLemore
Gay
Smith
Cousins

I think that Deron's lack of effort, lack of leadership, and lack of defense would be a net downgrade from Collison for the Kings.
You can definitely make that argument, but the best Williams is better than the best Collison.  I can't really speak to his effort because I haven't watched more than 3 Nets games all year, but Williams has shown the ability to take over games.  If you use the wide angle lens,I think Williams shows as the more impactful player, despite Collison's career year.

I wouldn't do the deal, but I think that's the rationale that Vivek and Chris Mullin would put forth.

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 08:41:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Agree, I am glad we did not get that offer.   It's junk!

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 08:43:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
of course we could of got that in return for Rondo.  Instead Danny was prob asking for Mclemore or Stauskus and a 1st and Sac said "no"

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 08:48:05 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
I'm guessing Rondo wouldn't re-sign there.  Considering how Vivek is so insistent on a fast-paced, showtime team, I would think Rondo would be his #1 and he'd be offering at least Stauskas and a first.  Any deal probably failed due to Rondo.

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 08:49:28 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
of course we could of got that in return for Rondo.  Instead Danny was prob asking for Mclemore or Stauskus and a 1st and Sac said "no"
Or Rondo said no.  If I put myself into Vivek's crazy mind, I see no reason why he wouldn't offer Stauskas and a far-off first for Rondo, if only Rondo would re-sign.

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 08:52:20 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I don't consider Thompson or Williams to have value. As much as Dallas' package for Rondo was weak, a TPE and future #1 is better than this package.

Pretty much this.

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2014, 10:09:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
No, we couldn't.  Forget comparing Deron and Rondo basketball-wise, here's your key sentence:

Williams has two full years and $43 million-plus left on his contract through the end of the 2017 season.

Sacramento like other teams don't want to give up that much value to rent Rondo for half a season.
Not sure how this is key. $21.5 million per year for a PG of Williams' stature is not exactly a bargain.

Ok, but imagine you're a GM who think Williams would be a great piece for your team.  Contract longevity becomes a plus then.
I think Gerald Wallace will be a great piece for our team because of his veteran leadership, but I'm not sure his contract longevity is a plus.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 10:48:11 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I think it ultimately came down to Rondo ok'ing the trade. Not that he really had a choice but I don't think teams want to commit to the trade unless Rondo signs an extension or gives them a verbal agreement he would. As soon as Rondo said he wouldn't re-sign with the Kings, the Kings pulled out.

In a way, I think the Dallas trade was the best possible scenario for Danny after listening to different offers and Rondo was ok to re-sign with Dallas

This is all my speculation

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I think it ultimately came down to Rondo ok'ing the trade. Not that he really had a choice but I don't think teams want to commit to the trade unless Rondo signs an extension or gives them a verbal agreement he would. As soon as Rondo said he wouldn't re-sign with the Kings, the Kings pulled out.

In a way, I think the Dallas trade was the best possible scenario for Danny after listening to different offers and Rondo was ok to re-sign with Dallas

This is all my speculation
Sounds right. Rondo had two good reasons to "choose" Dallas over Sac. They have a better team, and there is no state income tax in Texas.

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 01:02:53 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Why would you want "THIS"? Nothing Sacramento is offering there is worth anything approaching a first round pick, even a heavily protected one.

Great words from a great man