Author Topic: ...and we couldn't get THIS from Sac for Rondo?  (Read 5829 times)

...and we couldn't get THIS from Sac for Rondo?
« on: December 22, 2014, 07:03:55 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
I would have been more than happy with this trade w/Sac but they're willing to give this up for Deron Williams? Had Rondo fallen that far?

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/235954/Kings-Nets-Discussing-Deron-Williams-Trade

The Sacramento Kings and Brooklyn Nets are discussing a deal centered on Deron Williams.

Talks have centered upon Darren Collison, Derrick Williams and Jason Thompson for Williams.

Sacramento has significant interest with Williams, but a hurdle to a possible deal is the Kings? desire to have center Mason Plumlee included into the package, league sources said.

The Nets' partnership with Williams has become increasingly fractured over the past two years, and the idea of a breakup has appeal for both sides, sources tell Yahoo.

Williams has two full years and $43 million-plus left on his contract through the end of the 2017 season.

Read more at http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/235954/Kings-Nets-Discussing-Deron-Williams-Trade#BbcA87zaQqy3HT42.99
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

Re: ...and we couldn't get THIS from Sac for Rondo?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 07:05:47 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
No, we couldn't.  Forget comparing Deron and Rondo basketball-wise, here's your key sentence:

Williams has two full years and $43 million-plus left on his contract through the end of the 2017 season.

Sacramento like other teams don't want to give up that much value to rent Rondo for half a season.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 07:09:17 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
No, we couldn't.  Forget comparing Deron and Rondo basketball-wise, here's your key sentence:

Sacramento like other teams don't want to give up that much value to rent Rondo for half a season.

Exactly this we'd have probably gotten Mclemore if that was Rondo's contract

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 07:10:25 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't consider Thompson or Williams to have value. As much as Dallas' package for Rondo was weak, a TPE and future #1 is better than this package.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 07:10:52 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Exactly this we'd have probably gotten Mclemore if that was Rondo's contract

we would have had Mclemore and more if Rondo was willing to re-sign in Sacramento last year.

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 07:14:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Not sure how this is key. $21.5 million per year for a PG of Williams' stature is not exactly a bargain.

The true reason is that not many teams are all that hot about giving up anything substantial for a hobbled guard who is seen as an offensive liability.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 07:19:53 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'd much rather get what we got from Dallas over what Sacto is reportedly offering for Williams. 

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 07:22:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't consider Thompson or Williams to have value. As much as Dallas' package for Rondo was weak, a TPE and future #1 is better than this package.

I agree - I looked back at the article a couple of times to see if I was missing something, but none of those players are anything great (and certainly not better than Wright, Crowder, or Nelson).

The first will probably be disappointing and the TPE may go unused, but there is nothing good about this return for Williams. BKN should probably be happy they aren't taking on extra salary or giving up picks.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 07:37:07 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Include the best bench big in the league as well.

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 07:44:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Include the best bench big in the league as well.

Did we get Ryan Anderson in the trade?  ;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 07:49:40 PM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
is brooklyn willing to give up plumlee?

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 07:51:35 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
It's a weaker package then the one received from Dallas. The fact rondo made it clear he wouldnt sign an extension there made sacramento no longer a viable trade option.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 08:04:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Not sure how this is key. $21.5 million per year for a PG of Williams' stature is not exactly a bargain.

Ok, but imagine you're a GM who think Williams would be a great piece for your team.  Contract longevity becomes a plus then.

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 08:25:46 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think that the key is the size of the contract, not the length. They can send out more salaries for Williams than Rondo. I can't believe people are drooling about this as some great return, especially considering that Collison and Thompson have 2 more years after this year each. I hope Danny would have had the sense to pass on them if they were offered.

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 08:25:52 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'd much rather get what we got from Dallas over what Sacto is reportedly offering for Williams.
agreed