Author Topic: Olynyk nominated for EC Player of the Week  (Read 3746 times)

Re: Olynyk nominated for EC Player of the Week
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 08:53:07 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Will he pull a Jordan Crawford and be out of the league this time next year?

Good point about Crawford. I understand that he isn't necessarily the next big thing, but surely he is good enough to land a bench role on an average team. He has averaged over 12 ppg and 3 apg in his career (across four teams). I can name 100 players he should be playing over...weird.

As for KO, good for him - a win yesterday would have sealed the deal. I hope he keeps it going.

I think it's clearly an attitude thing (rather then skill thing) with Crawford.  Teams just dont want to put up with his garbage.

Olynyk is no comparison - a classy guy wth great work ethic and team-first approach.  Big men like that tend to stick around...just look at Jason Collins lol

Combine those characteristics with his versatile offensive skill set and I think you'll find he'll be at the very least a rotation guy in the league for years to come.

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 01:43:49 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I know I can get ahead of myself sometimes, but I see a star player in Kelly Olynyk.  I don't think it's too far in the future either.  He might be close by as soon as the end of this season. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 02:05:37 AM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I know I can get ahead of myself sometimes, but I see a star player in Kelly Olynyk.  I don't think it's too far in the future either.  He might be close by as soon as the end of this season.

Well, how do you define star? I've been kicking around a possible comp for Olynyk that seems less crazy to me by the minute. Rashard Lewis chucked 3's for 10 years at a high percentage, including a 3 year span between Seattle and Orlando where he was taking ~ 7 per game at near 40% pct. Some might not consider him a star, but he did get  6/118 on the strength of his 3-ball.

In Olynyk's last 5 games, his 3PA have gone 4,5,4,4,3. It's a step in the right direction....

Of course Lewis and Olynyk have their differences, position etc....but their offensive strengths might be comparable. In the meantime, I'm in the majority clamoring for Kelly to shoot early and often with reckless abandon.

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 02:57:49 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
2013 re-drafted top ten:

1. Giannis Antetokounmpo
2. Nerlens Noel
3. Michael Carter-Williams
4. Victor Oladipo
5. Mason Plumlee
6. Kelly Olynyk
7. Shabazz Muhammad
8. Gorgui Dieng
9. Dennis Schroeder
10. Alex Len

Dang that was tough. I'm not really sure about any of those picks although I'm definitely confident in hoisting Greek Freak all the way up to the top.

The 2013 Draft has been pleasantly surprising. It has a ton of depth. Here are other names worthy of mention (in no particular but approximate order): Steven Adams, Tim Hardaway Jr., Ben McLemore, Trey Burke, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Cody Zeller, Anthony Bennett, Rudy Gobert, Solomon Hill, Andre Roberson. Still waiting to see if Tony Snell and Archie Goodwin show signs of life. Isiah Canaan was probably the best pick of the second round.

Also, the Spurs drafted a guy named Livio Jean-Charles. He hasn't left overseas play yet, so he's a question mark. The Spurs picked him, though, so he's probably a future HOFer.

edit: Where would Smart go in this Draft? I have him somewhere in the mix of Greek Freak and Nerlens Noel.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 04:30:18 AM by TheFlex »

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 06:55:28 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
2013 isn't shallow by any means. It just lack superstar potentials. Most of the draftees are potential solid role players and so far they are proving it.

2014 maybe deeper with all-star potentials but not superstars either. If Smart declared a year earlier, he would have been a top 3 pick

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 08:06:22 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
So, Is KO the steal of his draft class?

Yup. Who would in their right mind take Bennett over KO now?

I was hoping Dannt targeted him in the draft and was pumped when we grabbed him (I also had the same feelings for Fab Melo so no ones perfect). But I also remember this board calling for Danny's head after picking KO. I think some of those bashers will never admit they were wrong  ;D
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)