Author Topic: If I'm Danny Ainge  (Read 10431 times)

Re: If I'm Danny Ainge
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 06:04:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I doubt KO ever becomes anything more than at best a 6th man. I just don't see him being able to consistently defend center's or elite Pf's.

How about pfs/C can they defend KO?

KO is an active defender and with the right front court partner won't get burnt

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 06:17:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Don't see a single player on this team being a cornerstone of a rebuild. Simply put there isn't one player on the current roster that has franchise cornerstone ability. There's lots of role players and some solid starters but not one talent that you can say: "This is the guy we build around as we head towards our next contending team".

Every player on this team is extremely expendable. This team. IMO, is still looking for its cornerstone

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 06:32:22 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
I agree although players to start with.  I also kind of like that phoenix trade where we send Wright packing already but not sure.  I'll believe it when i see it.  Ultimately the goal is to have the best players and philosophy around because then how can we lose.  How we go about that is in question. I would start with Smart and KO personally.

I don't think we have those superstars yet.  Smart and KO are fringe players potentially.  Itcan go a lot of ways.  I  think we need a top center if KO is going to be our pf.  Even if  Sully is.

Stevens is a good coach and more than likely is going to give players their runs this year.  I don't think this year is so much about winning.  It just isn't at this point.  Had we been able to put something together with rondo here that was different.  We might sneak into the playoffs but I expect a lot of development going on and guys finding roles.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 06:40:29 PM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 06:42:16 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Don't see a single player on this team being a cornerstone of a rebuild. Simply put there isn't one player on the current roster that has franchise cornerstone ability. There's lots of role players and some solid starters but not one talent that you can say: "This is the guy we build around as we head towards our next contending team".

Every player on this team is extremely expendable. This team. IMO, is still looking for its cornerstone

While I generally agree, I think it's too early to really consider trading some of the guys (Smart primarily comes to mind).  We would get less in return than what he might be worth in the future, and I think he has a high ceiling. 

KO has definitely improved a lot, and I could see him as a 6th man on a championship team. 

If anything, I think we should commit to build around players who show significant improvement, have talent, and are really hard workers.  For this reason KO & Smart would be worth placing a strong emphasis on building around.

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 06:48:06 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I fully agree with this. There are no cornerstone quality players on this roster. Ainge has built quite a collection of picks and assets though, it's a matter of cashing them in at the right point for a legit cornerstone player or two.

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 06:49:39 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
It starts with one thing imo and a philosophy I have in my head.  But it starts with Smart and KO  and I build from there.  Everything else is up in the air at this point.  Just had this revelation in another thread.  But KO and Smart can do a lot of different things on a basketball court.  I think listening to Tommy Heinsohn he's touched on these things too.

I'd add Young in that mix.  He's 18, hasn't gotten time, but he'll be darn good 3-4 years down the road.  He's a keeper.

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 06:50:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I fully agree with this. There are no cornerstone quality players on this roster. Ainge has built quite a collection of picks and assets though, it's a matter of cashing them in at the right point for a legit cornerstone player or two.
Agree with both of you.

But what I will say that this team has a solid collection of marginal assets.   Nobody great, but if some team is looking to dump a star for a pu-pu platter of talent, Boston has them.  If someone becomes available like Melo, I imagine a package of Smart + Oly + Sully + 5 first round picks out to get their attention.  That's some nice role players.

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 06:51:19 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
It starts with one thing imo and a philosophy I have in my head.  But it starts with Smart and KO  and I build from there.  Everything else is up in the air at this point.  Just had this revelation in another thread.  But KO and Smart can do a lot of different things on a basketball court.  I think listening to Tommy Heinsohn he's touched on these things too.

I'd add Young in that mix.  He's 18, hasn't gotten time, but he'll be darn good 3-4 years down the road.  He's a keeper.

Good point. I forgot about Young. 

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 07:09:03 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Young is 19 and he, KO, Smart, and Sullinger are going to be pretty good players.

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 07:11:29 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I'd be keeping:
Smart
K.O.
Zeller
Green
Young

Everyone else can go.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 10:55:03 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Agree with both of you.

But what I will say that this team has a solid collection of marginal assets.   Nobody great, but if some team is looking to dump a star for a pu-pu platter of talent, Boston has them.  If someone becomes available like Melo, I imagine a package of Smart + Oly + Sully + 5 first round picks out to get their attention.  That's some nice role players.

That'd be the most depressing move in Celtic history. I can't imagine trading away our strongest assets for a ball-stopper that can not win.

What other stars/superstars could become available within the next year or two?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 11:04:47 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Agree with both of you.

That'd be the most depressing move in Celtic history. I can't imagine trading away our strongest assets for a ball-stopper that can not win.

What other stars/superstars could become available within the next year or two?

Certainly not any "winning" superstars, if that's what you call them.  They're usually not anywhere near as available.

A Melo type guy who "can't win" is simply the highest level of talent we can realistically come up with.

And I imagine most fans here would be so excited to have a player that can actually do something, that they'd probably put their hatred of Melo on hold.  Certainly wouldn't be the most depressing move the Celtics have ever made.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 11:07:32 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I tend to agree with all of this although I'd hold onto Smart for a bit and really see what they have there. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 12:23:41 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Young is 19 and he, KO, Smart, and Sullinger are going to be pretty good players.

Didn't know he had a b-day, my fault.

If I'm Ainge, I keep these guys and throw the Rondo money to Asik, Monroe, or Jordan.  Any big you can get, nab them, throw them into the build around crew.  Everyone else is up for grabs.

Smart
Young
KO
Asik/Monroe/Jordan

Probably think about Sullinger, Zeller, Wright, Green....See what you they could net you, asset wise...Maybe it's wiser to keep them, depending on the value out there.  Obviously you won't keep all of those bigs, but you have to find out what their worth.

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2014, 12:41:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sully is just in a slump.  He's got so much potential.  I would consider most of the players we have now as bench materials

Potential to be what 300 lbs?   He can't run the floor.  He can't jump.   Heis a solid rebounder and has good hands.   He is a mediocre to poor outside shooter, struggles against length and athletic ability.  His D is horrific and he is lazy but in season and off season.  Whines against every call against him.  Check out his brutal workout.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/sullinger-offseason-workout

I 've seen senior citizens work out harder and the lard proves it.  This playing himself into shape ever year is getting old.

If I am Danny Ainge, I realize I have a talented but unprofessional guy in Sullinger, who can't D up and who needs to go.