Author Topic: What is the point of keeping Nelson?  (Read 14214 times)

Re: What is the point of keeping Nelson?
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2014, 09:59:57 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Triboy you are right that Nelson sucks. But Pressey sucks even more.
Nelson can hit an open three, and run the pick and roll (as he did with Dwight Howard for all those years and they reached deep playoff territory).
He's lost his ability to explode off the pick and roll after his injury a few years ago and you're right, he doesn't need to be playing any minutes.
He is a very good locker room presence apparently and very professional- which would be good for Marcus Smart for 6 months now that Rondo is gone.

If anything perhaps Grandpa Wallace and Grandpa Nelson can help our young guys with the daily NBA grind. I would enjoy Nelson teaching Smart how to run the pick and roll and how to shoot threes.

But I don't think we'll see Pressey or Nelson on this team for much longer.
They both stink like Evan Turner stinks.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2014, 10:01:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Having a PG who can make a jump-shot consistently.

I guess you also want a PG that is turnover prone and is a mediocre defender

You mean like Phil Pressey?

Then there's Pressey's defense. While the team numbers have been an eyesore this month -- Boston's defensive rating with Pressey on the floor is 111.1 in April, negating some of his offensive exploits -- coach Brad Stevens has praised Pressey's individual defense and tenacity against bigger ball-handlers.

"Phil’s got a lot of pride," Stevens said. "He’s a tough guy. He’s a very good defender"

I think CBS knows when he sees good defense out there. What do you think Chambers?

What do you think about his defensive play below vs 6'6 MCW. Mediocre right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJsJMcpXJjo

Mediocre or crappy defense is the kind of defense Rondo played for us this season. Letting his man get by him over and over again.  Some deflections and steals could not compensate for the defensive horror show
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:18:48 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2014, 11:04:51 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

Then there's Pressey's defense. While the team numbers have been an eyesore this month -- Boston's defensive rating with Pressey on the floor is 111.1 in April, negating some of his offensive exploits -- coach Brad Stevens has praised Pressey's individual defense and tenacity against bigger ball-handlers.

"Phil’s got a lot of pride," Stevens said. "He’s a tough guy. He’s a very good defender"

I think CBS knows when he sees good defense out there. What do you think Chambers?

Mediocre or crappy defense is the kind of defense Rondo played for us this season. Letting his man get by him over and over again.  Some deflections and steals could not compensate for the defensive horror show

You think you made a point because you pulled a clip of 1 good defense play that Pressey made??  That play means he's a great defender???

And what does Rondo's crappy defense have to do with anything.  It's irrelevant just like the clip you provided.  Give the Rondo bashing a rest...he's gone so it's time to move on. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2014, 11:13:13 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Hey! Evan Turner has been quietly beasting in his role. He's my man.

Efficient scoring off the bounce while providing everything else.

Hoping he continues trending upwards.

He's sexy as hell.

Just no more ET as the primary ball handler shenanigans.

If anything perhaps Grandpa Wallace and Grandpa Nelson can help our young guys with the daily NBA grind. I would enjoy Nelson teaching Smart how to run the pick and roll and how to shoot threes.

Two grandpas.

Now that's a forward thinking organization if I've ever seen one.

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2014, 11:21:13 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

Two grandpas.

Yeah...the C's are not a forward thinking organization...they only have 9 first round draft pick in the next 3 years.    ??? ??? ??? ???
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2014, 11:38:14 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Two grandpas.

Yeah...the C's are not a forward thinking organization...they only have 9 first round draft pick in the next 3 years.    ??? ??? ??? ???

Not thinking straight this morning.

Joke would have landed better if we had 4 grandpas (and no grandmas).

Now that would be a forward thinking organization.

But then again, in the KG era we probably had more than 4 grandpas.

« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2014, 12:51:54 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

What else can he say about a 5'5" NBA midget that can't shoot, can't get to the free throw line or score?
It's great that he tries hard on defense. He had a steal against MCW. Whoop dee doo.
The fact is, that when he is on the floor, he is a defensive liability because of his size. Opponents can pass over him, back him down in the post and draw a double team> kick out for an open shot.
I'm not saying he doesn't try his hardest, and I love the way he pushes the ball in transition and finds open players- but he is barely an NBA player because he can't shoot.
What's different about Phil Pressey than the rest of the D League?
You crap on about Rondo's shoot percentages and you're defending a 5 foot nothing 3rd string point guard that shoots 32% from the field and not even 25% from three.
If the opposing team runs the pick and roll, they are almost 100% guaranteed to either get to the line, or score when Phil Pressey is guarding the point guard. All that they have to do is switch. You can also leave him wide open because he couldn't shoot a basketball into an open dumpster.
Tell me, what is he doing out there on the floor again?
He is an NBA towel boy and will likely be out of the league within 1-2 years unless that 3 point shot hits 35%.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2014, 12:56:31 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
To keep Shaqattack

In perpetual misery ?

:-X

« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2014, 01:47:40 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Shams Charania of RealGM:

"The Boston Celtics and guard Jameer Nelson have had preliminary discussions on his future role and “what if” possibilities before the February trade deadline, but buyout negotiations have not taken place yet, league sources told RealGM."

« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2014, 02:18:10 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Shams Charania of RealGM:

"The Boston Celtics and guard Jameer Nelson have had preliminary discussions on his future role and “what if” possibilities before the February trade deadline, but buyout negotiations have not taken place yet, league sources told RealGM."

TP, nice find. He'll either negotiate a buy out or get traded. We should have a lot of cap room this summer. And to conclude...

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2014, 02:55:29 PM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
1. They brought nelson in because it made the trade work simple as that.
2. They said yes to nelson because they wanted to have a veteran come in and buffer the loss that  this young team is having from rondo leaving. Look at the 76ers, things can go down hill really fast with no veteran leadership. Im scared that if the 76ers ever get good they still wont know how to win. Our young team cant build bad habits.
3. He will be outta here at the the deadline.

« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2014, 03:09:53 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Nelson is on a reasonable contract and probably has more value than Pressey. A good team desperate for a backup PG would consider Nelson. They would not consider Pressey.

We could also benefit from someone who can shoot at PG, especially in Stevens' system. Smart and Pressey are both horrible shooters and Turner is a bit chaotic.

That being said, I have never been a Nelson fan.