Author Topic: What is the point of keeping Nelson?  (Read 14164 times)

Re: What is the point of keeping Nelson?
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2014, 08:05:54 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Nelson is currently our best starting pg... i'll keep him mainly to guide the young pg.Smart  Is not ready. Matter of fact Smart is not a pg. He's a 2 in a pg body like Avery.
:o

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2014, 08:15:23 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Weird, I've always Disliked Nelson before he was on the C's.....and I still Dislike him.

I dislike him alot.  Danny should just buy him out /waive him.
This, or a trade but doubtful anybody wants him so would need to be a package deal.

Give those minutes to any of our other guards. Nelson has no future here so why bother with him?

exactly. I rather cut him and sign Will Bynum. Unfortunately he has already signed with a team in the Chinese league

Lol, how many not-even 6'0" point guards do we need on one team? ;D

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2014, 08:23:58 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
No point; Nelson was just trade fodder; Next game he'll sit; Last game was an audition for him - to see if he still had the chops; unfortunately, he has none now;
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2014, 08:29:11 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
There is no point.

The only plus with Nelson is he's basically the only PG on the team who can hit a wide open three woth some consistency.

Regardless I think we are a better team with either Pressey or Smart on the court.

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2014, 08:39:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Nelson is currently our best starting pg... i'll keep him mainly to guide the young pg.Smart  Is not ready. Matter of fact Smart is not a pg. He's a 2 in a pg body like Avery.
:o

If Nelson our best starting pg...

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2014, 09:11:17 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Jameer Nelson is terrible but so is Pressey. Both players are terrible defensive players. Amongst the worst in the league at the PG position. Both are sub-par rebounders. Pressey is a better passer but Nelson is solid. Nelson is a very good outside shooter but can't score otherwise. Pressey cannot score period.

I can't say I care too much which one gets the minutes. They both suck. I hate watching them.

Neither one of them has a future with the team at this point in time. If Pressey could learn to make a jump-shot, that could change. Needs to have a jump-shot to have a future in this league. He is too much of a liability on defense to survive on his passing alone. Jameer Nelson is finished as a rotation player in this league. He is skating by on reputation alone.

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2014, 09:35:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Jameer Nelson is terrible but so is Pressey. Both players are terrible defensive players. Amongst the worst in the league at the PG position. Both are sub-par rebounders. Pressey is a better passer but Nelson is solid. Nelson is a very good outside shooter but can't score otherwise. Pressey cannot score period.

I can't say I care too much which one gets the minutes. They both suck. I hate watching them.

Neither one of them has a future with the team at this point in time. If Pressey could learn to make a jump-shot, that could change. Needs to have a jump-shot to have a future in this league. He is too much of a liability on defense to survive on his passing alone. Jameer Nelson is finished as a rotation player in this league. He is skating by on reputation alone.

Against certain matchups its not good to have Pressey out there . But in general he has been a pain to play against.  He is on his opponents like glue, rarely losing them on screens, PNR and makes it difficult  for them to get setup bc he is pressing them before they even cross mid court

In addition his shooting has improved this season and unlike last season has been able to pick his spots better to finish some layups.     The only thing so far you have noticed about his game is his passing?? 

What a terrible defensive player Pressey is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJsJMcpXJjo

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2014, 09:37:35 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Against certain matchups its not good to have Pressey out there . But in general he has been a pain to play against.  He is on his opponents like glue, rarely losing them on screens, PNR and makes it difficult  for them to get setup bc he is pressing them before they even cross mid court

In addition his shooting has improved this season and unlike last season has been able to pick his spots better to finish some layups.     The only thing so far you have noticed about his game is his passing??

Pressey is a good pressure defender but he is a liability in just about every other facet of the game defensively. A very weak defender overall.

Being a strong pressure defender is a small part of PG's defensive duties despite it often receiving the most attention amongst fans.

Edit: Pressey also has great hands. Gets a high amount of steals. 2nd area where he is valuable on defense.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 09:43:29 PM by Who »

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2014, 09:46:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Pressey is a good pressure defender but he is a liability in just about every other facet of the game defensively. A very weak defender overall.

Being a strong pressure is a small part of PG's defensive duties despite it often receiving the most attention amongst fans.

What kind of defender (from a pg) are you looking for then?  A poor man to man defender that loses focus on his man to try to grab some steals like we saw from Rondo this past season?

Take care of your man 1st, then do those other things  if your capable.    Take care of the basics.

Pressey tries hard not to lose his man bc he won't be that effective on the switch or if he has to guard other players. He knows his limitations.   Same goes for guys like Paul, Curry and other smaller pg's.   Maybe you been spoiled by Rondo's 2008-2010 defense or AB's defense.   

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2014, 09:46:48 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Pressey is shooting 32% from the field and 21% from three. He can't shoot. Every time he takes a shot it is a victory for other team's defense. They forced the weakest shooter on the floor to take an outside shot. Objective achieved.

Pressey needs to get those numbers up to solid levels. He could be a pretty good backup PG if he could just learn to shoot the ball. He runs a team well, he is a good ball-handler and a very good passer. He is limited on defense but he makes the good use of the assets he has on D. His future comes down to that jump-shot.

* If Pressey can make outside jumpers on a consistent basis, he will be a primary backup PG in this league for the next 6-8 years.
* If he cannot learn to shoot, he will washout of the league in the near future. He cannot survive if he continues to be this much of a liability as a scorer + shooter.

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2014, 09:49:05 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Having a PG who can make a jump-shot consistently.

I guess you also want a PG that is turnover prone and is a mediocre defender

You mean like Phil Pressey?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2014, 09:51:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
We aren't keeping Nelson.  He'll be bought out if we can't find a use for him via trade.

I thought this was common knowledge.

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2014, 09:53:47 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Having a PG who can make a jump-shot consistently.

I guess you also want a PG that is turnover prone and is a mediocre defender

We've been playing Turner at the point this season, right?

Turner is an above average defender that can switch and guard multiple positions. I do agree he has turned over the ball than most would like. But he is a better player than Nelson. Nelson is an undersized (i mean really undersized) sg in a pg body.   It was horrible to watch him unable to excute PNR passes not twice but three times

Turner is an above average defender?

Go on. (I certainly have no love for Nelson, but having someone on the perimeter who can hit a three in our guard rotation is pretty important).

hahaha you crack me up Dos
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2014, 09:53:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Pressey is shooting 32% from the field and 21% from three. He can't shoot.

He needs to get those numbers up to solid levels. He could be a pretty good backup PG if he could just learn to shoot the ball. He runs a team well, he is a very good passer. He is limited on defense but he makes the good use of the assets he has on D. His future comes down to that jump-shot.

If he can make it consistently, he will be a primary backup PG in this league for the next 6-8 years.
If he cannot learn to shoot, he will washout of the league in the near future.

He has been making the open three more and more. Last season he was really bad. Miss after miss. This season he is making shots. When he shoots you don't cringe as you would last season. He is also picking his spots and able to score layups once in a while

Even if he doesn't look to score,  he makes an impact due to his ability to push the pace and provide pressure defense (killing time off the shot clock).   Our transition play increases two folds it looks like when PRessey is on the court.   He will penetrate and kick out to shooters better than anybody else on the team can.    These things tire teams out on the defensive end

Anyways i know PRessey is not going start in this league. But he could be a pretty good backup PG. Like a JJ Barera.  As long as he keeps improving  + all out effort there is nothing really negative i can say about the little sparksplug   

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2014, 09:56:20 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Pressey is shooting 32% from the field and 21% from three. He can't shoot.

He needs to get those numbers up to solid levels. He could be a pretty good backup PG if he could just learn to shoot the ball. He runs a team well, he is a very good passer. He is limited on defense but he makes the good use of the assets he has on D. His future comes down to that jump-shot.

If he can make it consistently, he will be a primary backup PG in this league for the next 6-8 years.
If he cannot learn to shoot, he will washout of the league in the near future.

He has been making the open three more and more. Last season he was really bad. Miss after miss. This season he is making shots. When he shoots you don't cringe as you would last season. He is also picking his spots and able to score layups once in a while

Even if he doesn't look to score,  he makes an impact due to his ability to push the pace and provide pressure defense (killing time off the shot clock).   Our transition play increases two folds it looks like when PRessey is on the court.   He will penetrate and kick out to shooters better than anybody else on the team can.    These things tire teams out and not measured by stats.

Anyways i know PRessey is not going start in this league. But he could be a pretty good backup PG. Like a JJ Barera. As long as he keeps improving  + all out effort there is nothing really negative i can say about the little sparksplug

I see JJ Barea as a great example for Pressey too. Of what he can achieve as a backup PG in this league if he learns how to shoot the ball.

Pressey could be a really good backup PG ... if he has a good jump-shot.