Author Topic: What is the point of keeping Nelson?  (Read 14165 times)

Re: What is the point of keeping Nelson?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 02:45:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
A lot of people are down on Pressey, but he's able to push the pace well and give good energy. I would have preferred seeing more of him against the Heat instead of Nelson.

exactly. Pressey does not complain and just plays hard.  I have never seen him get winded also. He has amazing stamina

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 02:45:02 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
He will be moved at the deadline. In the mean while I expect he is playing to add some stability to a very young group of guards.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 02:50:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Having a PG who can make a jump-shot consistently.

I guess you also want a PG that is turnover prone and is a mediocre defender

We've been playing Turner at the point this season, right?

Turner is an above average defender that can switch and guard multiple positions. I do agree he has turned over the ball than most would like. But he is a better player than Nelson. Nelson is an undersized (i mean really undersized) sg in a pg body.   It was horrible to watch him unable to excute PNR passes not twice but three times yesterday

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 02:51:30 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Having a PG who can make a jump-shot consistently.

I guess you also want a PG that is turnover prone and is a mediocre defender

We've been playing Turner at the point this season, right?

Turner is an above average defender that can switch and guard multiple positions. I do agree he has turned over the ball than most would like. But he is a better player than Nelson. Nelson is an undersized (i mean really undersized) sg in a pg body.   It was horrible to watch him unable to excute PNR passes not twice but three times

Turner is an above average defender?

Go on. (I certainly have no love for Nelson, but having someone on the perimeter who can hit a three in our guard rotation is pretty important).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 02:59:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
By himself, he is going to bring back nothing. I mean i would surprised if somebody was willing to give up a 2nd round pick for him

He is old and has no future with the team like Gwallace . Why play him 10-20 mins a game and take away mins from the other players? Just buy him out.  Getting Felton back instead would of been better (injured likely for the majority of the year).  Would of not disrupted the rotation.
they may still do so. but off the top of my head i don't see many advantages to buying him out.

1. the celtics still pay his salary.
2. with whom do they replace him? no one out there would make a big difference on this team but would add salary.
3. if stevens doesn't play him it is the same as what happened with bogans.
4. by keeping him, they can trade him and his salary can help make things match, ala bogans.
5. by keeping him, they MAY actually be able to trade him for something should another team need a pg due to injury. he is an asset, a meager, minuscule, next to worthless asset, but still an asset.

actually, as along as they don't play him, i have no trouble with him on the celtics, or staying at home.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 03:01:09 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
By himself, he is going to bring back nothing. I mean i would surprised if somebody was willing to give up a 2nd round pick for him

He is old and has no future with the team like Gwallace . Why play him 10-20 mins a game and take away mins from the other players? Just buy him out.  Getting Felton back instead would of been better (injured likely for the majority of the year).  Would of not disrupted the rotation.

Yes!

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 03:13:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

they may still do so. but off the top of my head i don't see many advantages to buying him out.

1. the celtics still pay his salary.
2. with whom do they replace him? no one out there would make a big difference on this team but would add salary.
3. if stevens doesn't play him it is the same as what happened with bogans.
4. by keeping him, they can trade him and his salary can help make things match, ala bogans.
5. by keeping him, they MAY actually be able to trade him for something should another team need a pg due to injury. he is an asset, a meager, minuscule, next to worthless asset, but still an asset.

actually, as along as they don't play him, i have no trouble with him on the celtics, or staying at home.

I would not mind this also

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 03:37:13 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
To raise his trade value, I guess?

We can get a 2nd round pick for him, that's (correction) $2 million off the books. But he needs to look like a worthwhile acquisition.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 05:02:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Nelsons shooting the last 4 games

-@ MIA
L 84-100   20   1-6   

-@ DET
W 117-106   26   0-4   

-@ NY
W 107-87   24   2-4

-vsGS
L 98-105   28   2-7   

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 05:26:53 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Play him, let Stevens figure out a role for him, let him do well, and then trade him.

Now before everyone starts jumping on this and saying I am crazy I ask you to reflect on the Celtic's career of Jordan Crawford.  Two 76er second round picks and Joel Anthony plus we were able to dump Brooks if I remember correctly.

There is no reason to give up on Nelson yet.  I am not worried about stunting the development of Phil Pressey.  I like Phil fine but if he has to sit, he has to sit.

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2014, 05:41:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
"The guys need to hear my voice in a serious manner," Nelson said. "I'm a guy that likes to laugh and joke. But before the game, I said some things. Halftime I said some things. It's a young team and they need to hear that. They need to hear guys speak up and help them out. It can't always be the coach."

Is this guy for real?  Let your play do the talking. 

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 05:46:05 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
He could be a good influence on some of the young guys and he fits better than Fav

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2014, 05:56:42 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
"The guys need to hear my voice in a serious manner," Nelson said. "I'm a guy that likes to laugh and joke. But before the game, I said some things. Halftime I said some things. It's a young team and they need to hear that. They need to hear guys speak up and help them out. It can't always be the coach."

Is this guy for real?  Let your play do the talking.
He must not realize this is the team with avery bradley.  A few years ago he couldn't get the ball over mid court with bradley on him and he was upset.  That was more prime nelson by the way.  I've seen his games this year and  :-\

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2014, 06:04:31 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Nelson is currently our best starting pg... i'll keep him mainly to guide the young pg.Smart  Is not ready. Matter of fact Smart is not a pg. He's a 2 in a pg body like Avery.

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2014, 06:06:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Nelson is currently our best starting pg... i'll keep him mainly to guide the young pg.Smart  Is not ready. Matter of fact Smart is not a pg. He's a 2 in a pg body like Avery.

you think Nelson is a natural pg? He has some of the shakiest handles I've seen

He could not execute simple PNR passes on three occasions yesterday.  2 of those attempts were to wright a guy who he should be familiar playing with by now