Author Topic: What is the point of keeping Nelson?  (Read 14237 times)

What is the point of keeping Nelson?
« on: December 22, 2014, 02:27:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
By himself, he is going to bring back nothing. I mean i would surprised if somebody was willing to give up a 2nd round pick for him

He is old and has no future with the team like Gwallace . Why play him 10-20 mins a game and take away mins from the other players? Just buy him out.  Getting Felton back instead would of been better (injured likely for the majority of the year).  Would of not disrupted the rotation.

Re: What is the point of keeping Nelson?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 02:28:31 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Agreed, but he's still better than Pressey, imo. Is he an expiring? if so, we can just ride this season out and let him expire.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 02:29:29 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Having a PG who can make a jump-shot consistently.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 02:30:48 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Weird, I've always Disliked Nelson before he was on the C's.....and I still Dislike him.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 02:31:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Agreed, but he's still better than Pressey, imo. Is he an expiring? if so, we can just ride this season out and let him expire.

no. He has a player option for next season. You know he is going to pick it up bc nobody is going to want him

I rather play Pressey. Pressey is better at defense and pushing the pace.  His jump shot is looking better this season also

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 02:32:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

He is not that good anymore. He missed several jump shots yesterday (streaky at best throughout the year).  He can't drive and finish anymore. Poor ball handler and turnover prone. Mediocre on the defensive. 

The bottom line is, he has no future on the team
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:38:20 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Felton's deal is for 2.9 million more than Nelson's - we may not have been able to fit him into a TPE, but even if we could, he'd be more expensive to have, more expensive to buy out, more likely to take his player option due to his injury, and harder to trade even if he wasn't injured.

You have to put a lot of value in feeding minutes to Pressey, whose ceiling is a fringe backup PG, to see that as a better move.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 02:34:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Weird, I've always Disliked Nelson before he was on the C's.....and I still Dislike him.

I dislike him alot.  Danny should just buy him out /waive him. 

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 02:36:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Felton's deal is for 2.9 million more than Nelson's - we may not have been able to fit him into a TPE, but even if we could, he'd be more expensive to have, more expensive to buy out, more likely to take his player option due to his injury, and harder to trade even if he wasn't injured.

You have to put a lot of value in feeding minutes to Pressey, whose ceiling is a fringe backup PG, to see that as a better move.

A fringe pg that made an impact in our 2-3 wins before losing to the Heat.

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 02:38:02 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 02:39:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I guess you also want a PG that is turnover prone and is a mediocre defender

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 02:39:49 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

no. He has a player option for next season. You know he is going to pick it up bc nobody is going to want him

Not necessarily - he agreed to a buyout from Orlando specifically because he wanted a chance to compete for a title.  I could totally see him denying his player option for next year.

Though I don't think his player option will even matter as I predict Ainge will try to package him in a new trade at the deadline and, failing that, will buy him out.

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 02:42:14 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
A lot of people are down on Pressey, but he's able to push the pace well and give good energy. I would have preferred seeing more of him against the Heat instead of Nelson.

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Not necessarily - he agreed to a buyout from Orlando specifically because he wanted a chance to compete for a title.  I could totally see him denying his player option for next year.

Though I don't think his player option will even matter as I predict Ainge will try to package him in a new trade at the deadline and, failing that, will buy him out.

I hope so. I really dislike Nelson.  I always thought he was overrated.  I can't remember how many times our guards torched him when he played with the Magic

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 02:43:48 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I guess you also want a PG that is turnover prone and is a mediocre defender

We've been playing Turner at the point this season, right?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.