Author Topic: Three way trade idea Celtics-Knicks-Warriors  (Read 4967 times)

Re: Three way trade idea Celtics-Knicks-Warriors
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 01:28:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Warriors can use stretch provision on David Lee. Wipe $10 million off their cap next year and create enough wiggle room to keep Draymond Green and Harrison Barnes.

That is a better option for GSW.

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 01:30:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I would be surprised if nobody out there was willing to trade expiring contracts for David Lee.

I do not believe New York is that team though. They should be aiming higher than Lee. They have an attractive situation there with Carmelo Anthony, Phil Jackson, New York City and boatloads of cap space. Settling for a 31 year overpaid slightly above average PF is not a good use of their cap space.

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 01:31:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I fixed it. It's suppose to be Jeff Green to the Knicks (to try to make a push into the playoffs) not D Green.  GSW need to trade Lee bc they will be over the cap and won't be able to sign Draymond Green for next season.

BTW Barnes might be starting but the Warriors true starter is Green. They also have Iguadala. They can afford to give up Barnes, if that means also somebody will take Lee. Or else they can't sign Draymond green

David Lee is earning around $15 million a year. Is that not what Jeff Green is expected to get as free agent next summer?

David Lee has only 1 year left on his deal. Then GSW gets back in good financial position and are able to keep rest of the team together from that point onwards. Paying Jeff Green $13-15 million a year for next 4 years makes things worse for GSW's financial position than current position with David Lee.

dude you got to look at my revised trade idea.

To Warriors - Hardaway Jr., Bass, Crowder, Bargnani  <-- no Jeff Green
To Knicks - Jeff Green, David Lee, Nelson, Wallace, 2nd pick from Celtics and Warriors
To Celtics - Barnes, Early, Stoudermire (waived)

And even if the Warriors got Jeff Green, he would be only a rental for the playoff run.   D. Green is their future SF. I would like to get D. Green but i agree, they can't afford to let him go

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 01:33:09 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I can agree with triboy's point about Barnes being the most expendable of the guys their young core of players.  In fact, I would not be surprised in the least if they use Barnes as a sweetener for dumping Lee's contract, since it just isn't financially responsible to have Iguodala making $11 million as a bench luxury, while both Barnes and Green will soon need to be paid.  Of course, as Who has noticed, Golden State can use the stretch provision to clear up cap space, if necessary.

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 01:35:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I fixed it. It's suppose to be Jeff Green to the Knicks (to try to make a push into the playoffs) not D Green.  GSW need to trade Lee bc they will be over the cap and won't be able to sign Draymond Green for next season.

BTW Barnes might be starting but the Warriors true starter is Green. They also have Iguadala. They can afford to give up Barnes, if that means also somebody will take Lee. Or else they can't sign Draymond green

David Lee is earning around $15 million a year. Is that not what Jeff Green is expected to get as free agent next summer?

David Lee has only 1 year left on his deal. Then GSW gets back in good financial position and are able to keep rest of the team together from that point onwards. Paying Jeff Green $13-15 million a year for next 4 years makes things worse for GSW's financial position than current position with David Lee.

To Knicks - Jeff Green, David Lee, Nelson, Wallace, 2nd pick from Celtics and Warriors

And even if the Warriors got Jeff Green, he would be only a rental for the playoff run.   D. Green is their future SF. I would like to get D. Green but i agree, they can't afford to let him go

Why do New York want both Jeff Green and David Lee?

Where is Carmelo Anthony going to play? Why bring in two starting forwards on huge contracts when you already have one of the best forwards in the league on your team?

So Knicks make this deal and use up all their cap space ... are they even a playoff team after all is said is done? I don't think they are to be honest.

This does not look a sound trade to me for New York.

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 01:38:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I can agree with triboy's point about Barnes being the most expendable of the guys their young core of players.  In fact, I would not be surprised in the least if they use Barnes as a sweetener for dumping Lee's contract, since it just isn't financially responsible to have Iguodala making $11 million as a bench luxury, while both Barnes and Green will need to be paid soon.  Of course, as Who has noticed, Golden State can use the stretch provision to clear up cap space, if necessary.

D Green is looking at 8 million a year. I mean the way things are going he could aim for 10-11. He is that good this year. He is averaging a mini triple double  plus about 15 pts a game.

So the Warriors could their the stretch provision, but trading Lee away imo is a better option.  He has barely played and things are working for the better for the Warriors.

WHO , the Knicks don't have an attractive environment for a FA to come to.

Melo is someone that doesnt seem like is well liked around the league, is known as a hog and has a bad rep (fighting with teammates etc) already. Maybe for Phil and Fisher but not for Melo.  Getting Lee helps them. Thats the bottom line. They can aim higher but it could turn out to be fools gold in the end

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 01:43:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Why do New York want both Jeff Green and David Lee?

Where is Carmelo Anthony going to play? Why bring in two starting forwards on huge contracts when you already have one of the best forwards in the league on your team?

So Knicks make this deal and use up all their cap space ... are they even a playoff team after all is said is done? I don't think they are to be honest.

This does not look a sound trade to me for New York.

KNicks lineup after the trade

Dalembert
Lee
Melo
Green
Nelson/Calderon

* JR Smith come off the bench

Jeff Green can play SG , SF and some PF.     That is a much better lineup than what they have right now

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 01:44:31 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Why move Draymond Green to small forward? I think he is doing very well at PF.

His chemistry defensively with Bogut is fantastic. Bogut is more of a plodder at center but has good physical presence in the paint and is very smart team defender. Draymond Green as an undersized quick PF provides a great contrast to Bogut's slow footed ways as a quick-footed PF. Providing similar defensive chemistry as Bogut had in Milwaukee with Mbah a Moute as starting PF when Bucks had a top 5 defense under Scott Skiles.

Draymond Green's jump-shooting, passing and ball-handling has also been important to opening up the Warriors offense. They got bogged down in the halfcourt last year with two prototypical big men in David Lee and Andrew Bogut.

Bogut is not a good jump-shooter and is a limited scorer away from the basket. That puts a lot of pressure on the PF player to provide strong spacing and outside scoring. Lee is pretty solid at this but he wasn't enough either. This despite Golden State having the best jump-shooting backcourt in the league in Steph Curry and Klay Thompson.

The Warriors have been much better off with a more perimeter orientated PF in Draymond Green than a more prototypical PF in David Lee. Green has helped open up their offense more in the halfcourt. He has made it easier for Steph Curry and Klay Thompson to get into the paint which is why they are scoring more interior hoops and getting to FT line more often. Clearing David Lee out of the paint and elbow areas has also allowed Bogut to be much more involved in the offense as a passer which was an underutilized strength of his previously.

The chemistry is fantastic with Draymond Green at PF as an undersized quick PF.

Why change and put him at SF?

The situation is already works brilliantly. It is more likely to create additional problems than make things work better.

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 01:54:17 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I can agree with triboy's point about Barnes being the most expendable of the guys their young core of players.  In fact, I would not be surprised in the least if they use Barnes as a sweetener for dumping Lee's contract, since it just isn't financially responsible to have Iguodala making $11 million as a bench luxury, while both Barnes and Green will soon need to be paid.  Of course, as Who has noticed, Golden State can use the stretch provision to clear up cap space, if necessary.
I think they plan to extend Barnes.

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 01:54:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Why move Draymond Green to small forward? I think he is doing very well at PF.

His chemistry defensively with Bogut is fantastic. Bogut is more of a plodder at center but has good physical presence in the paint and is very smart team defender. Draymond Green as an undersized quick PF provides a great contrast to Bogut's slow footed ways as a quick-footed PF. Providing similar defensive chemistry as Bogut had in Milwaukee with Mbah a Moute as starting PF when Bucks had a top 5 defense under Scott Skiles.

Draymond Green's jump-shooting, passing and ball-handling has also been important to opening up the Warriors offense. They got bogged down in the halfcourt last year with two prototypical big men in David Lee and Andrew Bogut.

Bogut is not a good jump-shooter and is a limited scorer away from the basket. That puts a lot of pressure on the PF player to provide strong spacing and outside scoring. Lee is pretty solid at this but he wasn't enough either. This despite Golden State having the best jump-shooting backcourt in the league in Steph Curry and Klay Thompson.

The Warriors have been much better off with a more perimeter orientated PF in Draymond Green than a more prototypical PF in David Lee. Green has helped open up their offense more in the halfcourt. He has made it easier for Steph Curry and Klay Thompson to get into the paint which is why they are scoring more interior hoops and getting to FT line more often. Clearing David Lee out of the paint and elbow areas has also allowed Bogut to be much more involved in the offense as a passer which was an underutilized strength of his previously.

The chemistry is fantastic with Draymond Green at PF as an undersized quick PF.

Why change and put him at SF?

The situation is already works brilliantly. It is more likely to create additional problems than make things work better.

ok before you went into your explanation you have not considered the fact with Lee's contract they can't sign D Green for next season. Before anything else, you need to consider this

So they have to get rid of Lee and using the stretch provision could be a risk if D. Green is worth more than 10 million in the open market. 

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2014, 01:59:49 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I can agree with triboy's point about Barnes being the most expendable of the guys their young core of players.  In fact, I would not be surprised in the least if they use Barnes as a sweetener for dumping Lee's contract, since it just isn't financially responsible to have Iguodala making $12 million as a bench luxury, while both Barnes and Green will soon need to be paid.  Of course, as Who has noticed, Golden State can use the stretch provision to clear up cap space, if necessary.

I dunno about that.  He's currently being used as the fourth option.  They already have a small forward on the bench making $11 million a season in Iguodala, who's shown over his career that he's more comfortable not being an offensive focal point.  If they could use Barnes to dump Lee's contract and thus retain Green, I think they'll definitely consider it.

It's going to be significantly harder to dump both Lee and Iguodala to keep Barnes and Green.  They only have their 2015 first rounder available for trade.  Teams aren't likely to just accommodate the Warriors and take Iggy and/or Lee off their hands without further compensation; they're aging players with pretty hefty contracts.  At best, without trading away someone like Barnes, they can use their 2015 pick to dump one of those guys.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 05:49:44 PM by Endless Paradise »

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 02:01:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I dunno about that.  He's currently being used as the fourth option.  They already have a small forward on the bench making $11 million a season in Iguodala, who's shown over his career that he's more comfortable not being an offensive focal point. If they could use Barnes to dump Lee's contract and thus retain Green, I think they'll definitely consider it.

It's going to be significantly harder to dump both Lee and Iguodala to keep Barnes and Green.  They only have their 2015 first rounder available for trade.

+1