Author Topic: Pistons WAIVE Josh Smith  (Read 28990 times)

Re: Pistons WAIVE Josh Smith
« Reply #150 on: December 22, 2014, 08:45:51 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Smith on a cheap contract is infinitely better than Matt Barnes.  The guy has terrible BBIQ, but come on, he's still a legitimate NBA player.  Coming off the bench for a contender with minimal impact on their cap?  That'd be amazing.

I wouldn't say he has terrible basketball IQ...really just has terroble shot selection.

Kinda hard to criticise the basketball IQ of a PF who has consistently averaged 3-4 assists per 36 over his career.  You could argue that he gets rebounds and blocks as a result of his physical talents, but passing ability is not something you gain from being athletic (just look at Avery Bradley)...and Josh Smith has been one of the better passing bigs in the NBA his whole career.

I think his issues are more a result of wisdom rather than intelligence - smart player who is just wreckless in his decision making.  Surprisingly you rarely (if ever) see him on Shaqtin-a-fool, not your typical bonehead (I.e. Perk/McGee/Swaggy-P) type player.

in a nutshell, he has Antoine Walker disease

« Reply #151 on: December 22, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think Dallas is the favorite here. They have good weather and are a contender. Smith can instantly play 20+ minutes replacing Wright, play with his buddy from high school Rondo, and have a possible starting spot as soon as next year (with Dirk seemingly declining and taking a more tertiary role).

That would be sick. Good idea.

Also, this thread needs bumping.
Anyone who thinks Smith can start over Dirk is delusional. It's not going to happen even if Dirk is 100 years old.

/hyperbole

No hyperbole I still think a 100 year old Dirk should start over Smith. I was a big fan of his a few years ago and at one point even hoped we'd trade for him. He wasn't utilized correctly on the Pistons but I'm so down on him he's honestly become the pf version of what I hope Smart doesn't become... awful shot selection, boneheaded plays... the Pistons are improved

Of course.

But as a backup to Dirk and Parsons, he's a huge upgrade over Wright and Jefferson. Essentially he'd get starter minutes.

This would require Smith to take a smaller role. If he could, though, it'd be pretty huge.

SAC and HOU make more sense. But the Oak Hill connection could look interesting.

« Reply #152 on: December 22, 2014, 08:47:17 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
So where does he go now, then?  Back to Atlanta?  Probably not because of Millsap.  What about the Heat, though?  Now that could be very interesting, pairing him up with Bosh and Deng on the frontline.  How about OKC and Houston, or the Nets?  I honestly have no clue as to where he'll end up.  Any rumors?  Sacramento, perhaps?  Aren't Gay and Smith friends, or are they just both friends of Rondo?  I've got it - Phoenix.  They desperately need any kind of big man, and he would fit in well with their fast breaking style, imo.

He goes to the Knicks and follows in the footsteps of Marbury, Amare, and other talented players who went to NY to showcase their talents only to find out they no longer have any

Maybe it's just me, but I still thought that Marbury had plenty left to give when he was here.  He would have made a great 6th man behind Rondo and Ray, imo, because even if he isn't scoring he can still create for others in his sleep, lol.

I agree, I actually really liked Marbury when he was here.  I know he didnt put up points the way he has historically but I thought he did a really nice job of running the point and distributing.  Honestly still think he's one of the best backup PG's we've had since 08, because he actually had legit PG skills... unlike all the combo guards we've tried to use since.   

Phil Pressey is a breath of fresh air for me lol

« Reply #153 on: December 22, 2014, 09:23:40 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
The next month should be interesting-if the first week of trading has been a forshadowing of things to come.  Rondo gone for scraps. Josh Smith waived.  And now Deron may be headed to Sacramento faster than a Maloof can hire and fire a coach.

Wonder who is next to go from Boston:Bass-Wallace-Thornton or Green?

"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #154 on: December 22, 2014, 09:45:53 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He'd be great on the Heat next to Bosh.

He needs to be paired with a stretch 5.
Just put it in his contract that if he shoots from further than 5 feet from the basket that he gets a fine or doesn't get paid.
lol.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #155 on: December 22, 2014, 10:10:18 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I see him with the Lakers if not then Dallas for sure.

« Reply #156 on: December 22, 2014, 10:20:49 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Smith on a cheap contract is infinitely better than Matt Barnes.  The guy has terrible BBIQ, but come on, he's still a legitimate NBA player.  Coming off the bench for a contender with minimal impact on their cap?  That'd be amazing.

I wouldn't say he has terrible basketball IQ...really just has terroble shot selection.

Kinda hard to criticise the basketball IQ of a PF who has consistently averaged 3-4 assists per 36 over his career.  You could argue that he gets rebounds and blocks as a result of his physical talents, but passing ability is not something you gain from being athletic (just look at Avery Bradley)...and Josh Smith has been one of the better passing bigs in the NBA his whole career.

I think his issues are more a result of wisdom rather than intelligence - smart player who is just wreckless in his decision making.  Surprisingly you rarely (if ever) see him on Shaqtin-a-fool, not your typical bonehead (I.e. Perk/McGee/Swaggy-P) type player.

Antoine was a much better player than Smith. His impact on every facet of the game and his leadership are things Smith could only dream of.

Every time a bone-headed player is brought up, people mention Antoine. I know he shot a lot of threes (due to O'Brien's system...and it worked fairly well), but he was a very engaged player who could take lesser individual talent and make them play better as a team. He also made multiple all-star appearances and was the third best player on a championship team.

Anyway, I do agree that Smith is a talented player that needs to be in a certain type of environment. Obviously Det wasn't it.

« Reply #157 on: December 22, 2014, 10:42:39 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Antoine was a much better player than Smith. His impact on every facet of the game and his leadership are things Smith could only dream of.

Every time a bone-headed player is brought up, people mention Antoine. I know he shot a lot of threes (due to O'Brien's system...and it worked fairly well), but he was a very engaged player who could take lesser individual talent and make them play better as a team. He also made multiple all-star appearances and was the third best player on a championship team.

While this is true, Smith and Walker are probably the first two names (by a largish margin) that people would think of in terms of talented players who's abilities were generally overshadowed by their poor shot selection.

« Reply #158 on: December 22, 2014, 11:17:46 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
The next month should be interesting-if the first week of trading has been a forshadowing of things to come.  Rondo gone for scraps. Josh Smith waived.  And now Deron may be headed to Sacramento faster than a Maloof can hire and fire a coach.

Wonder who is next to go from Boston:Bass-Wallace-Thornton or Green?

Please god, lol! ;D Talk about a guy mailing it in.  I thought that only guys like Jerome James were good at that, haha.

« Reply #159 on: December 22, 2014, 11:22:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

While this is true, Smith and Walker are probably the first two names (by a largish margin) that people would think of in terms of talented players who's abilities were generally overshadowed by their poor shot selection.

Wasn't Antoine a tweener on offense with a horrible shot, form wise (he couldn't get a shot off like KG or Dirk, for example.), who couldn't guard either position, lol? ;D At least with Smith you've got a guy who can step out and guard 3s (in addition to 4s, obviously) and is a great athlete, kind of making him a poor man's KG on defense.  I'm not sure what, if anything, is between his ears, though, lol.  He'd continually throw up the worst shots at the worst possible times.  Gorman found it amusing in 2012.  I think his line was, "watching Smith has to be a joy if you're a Celtic fan," lol. ;D I love Mike.

« Reply #160 on: December 22, 2014, 11:32:49 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Better for him to come back play for HAWKS

« Reply #161 on: December 22, 2014, 11:44:44 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
So where does he go now, then?  Back to Atlanta?  Probably not because of Millsap.  What about the Heat, though?  Now that could be very interesting, pairing him up with Bosh and Deng on the frontline.  How about OKC and Houston, or the Nets?  I honestly have no clue as to where he'll end up.  Any rumors?  Sacramento, perhaps?  Aren't Gay and Smith friends, or are they just both friends of Rondo?  I've got it - Phoenix.  They desperately need any kind of big man, and he would fit in well with their fast breaking style, imo.

He goes to the Knicks and follows in the footsteps of Marbury, Amare, and other talented players who went to NY to showcase their talents only to find out they no longer have any

Maybe it's just me, but I still thought that Marbury had plenty left to give when he was here.  He would have made a great 6th man behind Rondo and Ray, imo, because even if he isn't scoring he can still create for others in his sleep, lol.

I agree, I actually really liked Marbury when he was here.  I know he didnt put up points the way he has historically but I thought he did a really nice job of running the point and distributing.  Honestly still think he's one of the best backup PG's we've had since 08, because he actually had legit PG skills... unlike all the combo guards we've tried to use since.   

Phil Pressey is a breath of fresh air for me lol

Ha - so I'm not the only one, lol. ;D I know that he was rusty, but picking him up mid season, especially after his long layoff, was almost like signing Ray Williams in 1985.  Both guys would have been much better had they started the season with us, and even if they didn't, would have been a lot better the next year after a full training camp.  I wish that KG and Pierce had talked to Marbury during 07-08, like they did with PJ Brown before we signed him, and somehow convinced him to opt out of the last year of his max contract.  I know that that was unlikely, but he had an eto, and we then could have traded House and Scalabrine to New York.  I think the Knicks would have accepted such a sign and trade because Scal and Eddie's contracts expired after 2010, and that was when New York was trying to get as many expirings as possible.  Plus, we could have practically given Marbury the mle without having to use it, and he could have been like Vinnie Johnson off the bench.  FWIW, I always have him on the Celtics whenever I play 2K (5 times a year, lol.).  I just thought that he would have been perfect.  He played decent defense, could play both guard spots on offense, was a great passer, loved the big moments, and could create his own shot and get to the free throw line.  He definitely should have played a lot more against Orlando.  Look at these highlights.  He looks like the old Marbury.  The guy had 8 points, a rebound, and 3 assists, in 8:49 of game one against the Magic, practically single handedly bringing us back from that huge deficit early on, and then Doc takes him out of the game and he never returned.  Huh?  Ugh.  Also, I found a report by Mark Jackson on how he was perceived in Boston, and momma there goes that man ;) ;D said that our guys raved about him as a teammate, so we should have brought him back!  Ugh.  He couldn't play with House, though, because of the minutes and defensive problems brought on by House, but, yeah, give him 10-12 minutes behind Rondo and 14-16 behind Ray and everyone keeps their legs for the postseason.  I believe his career high was against the Lakers, and he would have destroyed them, imo.  Sorry for the book, lol.  What I don't understand is why we gave 5'9" Nate Robinson a full training camp, and not Marbury.  Even at his best, Nate could only play one position, his minutes were going to extremely limited, and he wasn't a playmaker at all, smh.  It just doesn't make sense to me.  Maybe I should make a thread about the 2009 offseason, lol.  I'm weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib8cQt02Rjg

« Reply #162 on: December 23, 2014, 12:33:06 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

...where this thread seems headed  ;)

Oh Dang .....that was a nice mother of a train.... :(

« Reply #163 on: December 23, 2014, 01:04:40 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Smith would be a great player if he could learn to stay inside and not take jump shots.

His entire career has been a history of people overpaying him because they though they could teach him to stay inside and not take jump shots.

News flash: all of them failed.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #164 on: December 23, 2014, 04:52:24 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
smith is an elite defensive big man according to defensive metrics on synergy, if a recall as  PF/C he holds opponents to some ridiculously low .65 points per possession or something like that. he was doomed from the beginning as a small forward on a piston team with no shooters.
the rockets should sign smith and then trade their new orleans 1st round pick for jeff green + clips 1st pick.
now smith would have harden, green and duh-wight howard taking away the scoring load. that team would have the best interior defense in the league and would be ultra-athletic, and would finally be a true contender.