Author Topic: Pistons WAIVE Josh Smith  (Read 28975 times)

Re: Pistons WAIVE Josh Smith
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2014, 07:00:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
i wonder if this will have any impact on the Jeff Green trade market.

Someone else mentioned the impact to the Bass trade market as well.  Not helpful for either.  I think there is a good chance that we are going to be disappointed in the return for Jeff Green if he is the next to go.
I think we'll get rid of Jeff for an expiring contract and a 2nd rounder.  ANything more than that is an overpay.

Man... with the way fringe stars are getting given away, it's a shame Ainge couldn't find a way to get some talent to surround Rondo with.
I don't think that a team with Rondo and 4 Jeff Greens will be any better than what we had before the trade.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2014, 07:02:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think Dallas is the favorite here. They have good weather and are a contender. Smith can instantly play 20+ minutes replacing Wright, play with his buddy from high school Rondo, and have a possible starting spot as soon as next year (with Dirk seemingly declining and taking a more tertiary role).

That would be sick. Good idea.

Also, this thread needs bumping.
Anyone who thinks Smith can start over Dirk is delusional. It's not going to happen even if Dirk is 100 years old.

/hyperbole
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2014, 07:05:05 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I think Dallas is the favorite here. They have good weather and are a contender. Smith can instantly play 20+ minutes replacing Wright, play with his buddy from high school Rondo, and have a possible starting spot as soon as next year (with Dirk seemingly declining and taking a more tertiary role).

That would be sick. Good idea.

Also, this thread needs bumping.
Anyone who thinks Smith can start over Dirk is delusional. It's not going to happen even if Dirk is 100 years old.

/hyperbole

No hyperbole I still think a 100 year old Dirk should start over Smith. I was a big fan of his a few years ago and at one point even hoped we'd trade for him. He wasn't utilized correctly on the Pistons but I'm so down on him he's honestly become the pf version of what I hope Smart doesn't become... awful shot selection, boneheaded plays... the Pistons are improved

« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2014, 07:13:41 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
surprised there's not 50 threads saying "we have to sign josh smith!!!!1!!"

Rondo is gone so there's no point in bringing Smith.....
even if he was still here, he's not worth it, he's not good.

but I know this place has plenty of people that are infatuated with him.

« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2014, 07:20:38 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
i wonder if this will have any impact on the Jeff Green trade market.

Someone else mentioned the impact to the Bass trade market as well.  Not helpful for either.  I think there is a good chance that we are going to be disappointed in the return for Jeff Green if he is the next to go.
I think we'll get rid of Jeff for an expiring contract and a 2nd rounder.  ANything more than that is an overpay.

Man... with the way fringe stars are getting given away, it's a shame Ainge couldn't find a way to get some talent to surround Rondo with.

It's not like we can't do that now if we want to. The good news in all of this is that if Jeff Green can't fetch a late first rounder, by implication we have the ability at any point to trade our boatload of picks for 5-10 guys better than Green.

I don't want us to do that, but it says something that in a world where picks are this valuable relative to solid players, Ainge has managed to assemble the biggest stockpile of picks in the league.

« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2014, 07:29:32 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
So where does he go now, then?  Back to Atlanta?  Probably not because of Millsap.  What about the Heat, though?  Now that could be very interesting, pairing him up with Bosh and Deng on the frontline.  How about OKC and Houston, or the Nets?  I honestly have no clue as to where he'll end up.  Any rumors?  Sacramento, perhaps?  Aren't Gay and Smith friends, or are they just both friends of Rondo?  I've got it - Phoenix.  They desperately need any kind of big man, and he would fit in well with their fast breaking style, imo.

« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2014, 07:33:49 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
So where does he go now, then?  Back to Atlanta?  Probably not because of Millsap.  What about the Heat, though?  Now that could be very interesting, pairing him up with Bosh and Deng on the frontline.  How about OKC and Houston, or the Nets?  I honestly have no clue as to where he'll end up.  Any rumors?  Sacramento, perhaps?  Aren't Gay and Smith friends, or are they just both friends of Rondo?  I've got it - Phoenix.  They desperately need any kind of big man, and he would fit in well with their fast breaking style, imo.

He goes to the Knicks and follows in the footsteps of Marbury, Amare, and other talented players who went to NY to showcase their talents only to find out they no longer have any

« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2014, 07:49:44 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
From what I saw, Smith was sleepwalking through this season.  His play was so uninspiring that no team except Sac (such a well run franchise) had any interest in trading anything for him.  Smith it turns out has about as much value as Wallace.  It is like having an underwater home mortgage, Smith is not worth what he is owed so Detroit would rather foreclose on the contract because they don't want to keep paying and there is no way to get rid of the contract.

Yet people are still suggesting that all we needed to do was trade for Smith, pair him with Rondo, and we could make a run at a title?  If Detroit would have traded Smith for Wallace, fine, but there really is no indication that Detroit would be dumb enough to trade a bad contract for perhaps the worst contract in the NBA.  I bet Detroit would have traded Smith for Wallace and a second round pick, then they could waive Wallace (but not stretch I don't think) and been ahead one second round pick.  Actually, since they wouldn't be able to stretch Wallace after a trade, Detroit would not have touch Wallace for less than a first I don't think.

This is stunning but there are blinking red lights all around this saying no one wants Smith because he really isn't very good and for some reason isn't even trying.  Thank God that Danny didn't try to pair Smith and Rondo.  Someone will grab Smith for the min and probably be happy with that but it won't be us, even if Rondo was still here.

If there was any way that Det could have traded Smith for Wallace, I have to assume they would have done so - and they would be the ones throwing in the pick. They would have his expiring contract this summer and he would be a way better influence on Det than Smith was.

In the end, Det really made a blunder if they had any chance of trading Smith this past summer. But, this move seems more desperate for attention than anything else. Were there really NO other options??

« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2014, 07:54:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

He goes to the Knicks and follows in the footsteps of Marbury, Amare, and other talented players who went to NY to showcase their talents only to find out they no longer have any

Sadly, Amar'e's skill level has probably never been higher, but his body is in shambles so he's a lot worse overall.

« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2014, 07:58:57 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Sadly, Amar'e's skill level has probably never been higher, but his body is in shambles so he's a lot worse overall.

Except for the fact that he's been 'recovering' for the last two games, and probably like this, lol.  You can't make this stuff up, haha. ::) ;D

« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2014, 08:01:41 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Maybe it's just me, but I still thought that Marbury had plenty left to give when he was here.  He would have made a great 6th man behind Rondo and Ray, imo, because even if he isn't scoring he can still create for others in his sleep, lol.

« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2014, 08:12:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Forgive me if this has been posted already, but it's good enough to repost

http://youtu.be/rcAJGjOrLG4
Yup

« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2014, 08:40:11 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Smith on a cheap contract is infinitely better than Matt Barnes.  The guy has terrible BBIQ, but come on, he's still a legitimate NBA player.  Coming off the bench for a contender with minimal impact on their cap?  That'd be amazing.

I wouldn't say he has terrible basketball IQ...really just has terroble shot selection.

Kinda hard to criticise the basketball IQ of a PF who has consistently averaged 3-4 assists per 36 over his career.  You could argue that he gets rebounds and blocks as a result of his physical talents, but passing ability is not something you gain from being athletic (just look at Avery Bradley)...and Josh Smith has been one of the better passing bigs in the NBA his whole career.

I think his issues are more a result of wisdom rather than intelligence - smart player who is just wreckless in his decision making.  Surprisingly you rarely (if ever) see him on Shaqtin-a-fool, not your typical bonehead (I.e. Perk/McGee/Swaggy-P) type player.

« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2014, 08:44:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He excels as a pf. you ask him to be a SF and your asking for trouble, big trouble

« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2014, 08:45:14 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I find it hard to hate Amar'e because I remember him before the knee injury. But since he's on the Knicks I'm willing to make an exception.