Author Topic: Pistons WAIVE Josh Smith  (Read 28984 times)

Re: Pistons WAIVE Josh Smith
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2014, 04:16:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Didn't see that coming  :D

yeah.  SVG had more time to try to get rid of Smith.   He could not even trade him to the knicks for Amare?  Thrown in a couple of 2nds to get a deal done. 
Why would the Knicks want his contract?

Their plans involve making a FA splash, not wasting cap space on Josh Smith.

you act like players want to sign and play for a toxic knicks environment

« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2014, 04:16:17 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
i wonder if this will have any impact on the Jeff Green trade market.

I don't know that there's a direct connection, but it's not a good signal overall about how much vets are able to fetch in trades.

« Reply #122 on: December 22, 2014, 04:23:30 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
how about new orleans they could have him for the worst contract in the league(gordon) yet they traded a better pick than what the c's got for rondo for a lesser player

« Reply #123 on: December 22, 2014, 04:28:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
i wonder if this will have any impact on the Jeff Green trade market.

Someone else mentioned the impact to the Bass trade market as well.  Not helpful for either.  I think there is a good chance that we are going to be disappointed in the return for Jeff Green if he is the next to go.
I think we'll get rid of Jeff for an expiring contract and a 2nd rounder.  ANything more than that is an overpay.

Man... with the way fringe stars are getting given away, it's a shame Ainge couldn't find a way to get some talent to surround Rondo with.

« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2014, 04:30:59 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
*giggle* at the people who wanted to trade 1st round picks or guys like Sully for Josh Smith.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2014, 04:31:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Didn't see that coming  :D

yeah.  SVG had more time to try to get rid of Smith.   He could not even trade him to the knicks for Amare?  Thrown in a couple of 2nds to get a deal done. 
Why would the Knicks want his contract?

Their plans involve making a FA splash, not wasting cap space on Josh Smith.

you act like players want to sign and play for a toxic knicks environment
I'm not sure how "I act" is relevant to what the Knicks do.

They certainly seem to be setting up to make a run at big time FAs, as they have done in the past to limited success. They're on record with a great many reporters about their plans as a matter of fact.

« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2014, 04:35:28 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I think Dallas is the favorite here. They have good weather and are a contender. Smith can instantly play 20+ minutes replacing Wright, play with his buddy from high school Rondo, and have a possible starting spot as soon as next year (with Dirk seemingly declining and taking a more tertiary role).

« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2014, 04:56:38 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I say Houston...Smith and Howard are great friends plus they need a PF with Jones out..he be a perfect fit there
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2014, 05:09:57 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
surprised there's not 50 threads saying "we have to sign josh smith!!!!1!!"

« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2014, 05:11:43 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
surprised there's not 50 threads saying "we have to sign josh smith!!!!1!!"

Rondo is gone so there's no point in bringing Smith.....

« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2014, 05:12:14 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
He'd fit right in at New York.

« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2014, 05:17:16 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
From what I saw, Smith was sleepwalking through this season.  His play was so uninspiring that no team except Sac (such a well run franchise) had any interest in trading anything for him.  Smith it turns out has about as much value as Wallace.  It is like having an underwater home mortgage, Smith is not worth what he is owed so Detroit would rather foreclose on the contract because they don't want to keep paying and there is no way to get rid of the contract.

Yet people are still suggesting that all we needed to do was trade for Smith, pair him with Rondo, and we could make a run at a title?  If Detroit would have traded Smith for Wallace, fine, but there really is no indication that Detroit would be dumb enough to trade a bad contract for perhaps the worst contract in the NBA.  I bet Detroit would have traded Smith for Wallace and a second round pick, then they could waive Wallace (but not stretch I don't think) and been ahead one second round pick.  Actually, since they wouldn't be able to stretch Wallace after a trade, Detroit would not have touch Wallace for less than a first I don't think.

This is stunning but there are blinking red lights all around this saying no one wants Smith because he really isn't very good and for some reason isn't even trying.  Thank God that Danny didn't try to pair Smith and Rondo.  Someone will grab Smith for the min and probably be happy with that but it won't be us, even if Rondo was still here.

« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2014, 05:24:18 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Smith is a talented player.  He just never fit in at MotorCity.
When your team is perpetually Lottery Bound, I don't know that you can call it a risk to pick him up.
He will gather alot of interest.  Houston, LA (Clippers) Dallas, San Antonio, Oklahoma, Cleveland.  I also would not put it past Washington and Toronto to consider him.

Why would the LA Lakers sign him?  He's a super athletic big who can score, D and run the court.
His problem is shot selection and consistency.  And FT's.

Career Avg  15.4 pts. 7.8    Reb   3.3  Ast      2.0 Blocks.   

But I don't see him as a risk.    Buy low, Sell High.

"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2014, 05:25:53 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
if the Pistons traded for Wallace they could of stretched him for less money and less years than smith, now the Pistons have to pay smith 13.5 this year and 5.4 for five years following

if they traded for Wallace then stretched him, they would pay him 10 mil this year and then 3.3 mill for 3 years following, ie it would of saved the Pistons about at least 15 mill

i doubt ppl would say the c's would won a ring with rondo plus smith but I could see them winning a playoff series

« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2014, 06:36:26 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think Dallas is the favorite here. They have good weather and are a contender. Smith can instantly play 20+ minutes replacing Wright, play with his buddy from high school Rondo, and have a possible starting spot as soon as next year (with Dirk seemingly declining and taking a more tertiary role).

That would be sick. Good idea.

Also, this thread needs bumping.