Author Topic: Pistons WAIVE Josh Smith  (Read 28842 times)

Re: Pistons WAIVE Josh Smith
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2014, 02:07:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I guess that means they would want to keep Monroe and they may offer him some decent cash next year, now that they're gonna be committed to a Monroe/Drummond front court.
Monroe has played really well this year. It has been looking more and more likely that Detroit change their mind and choose to keep him this summer.

« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2014, 02:08:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Rockets can offer him more than most teams (that are interested in his service) and have a starting spot open for him .  He is good friends with Dhoward, Rockets are one of the top teams. Low tax .  Mchale is not anal like SVG

If i was Smith, i would sign with the Rockets.

« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2014, 02:10:43 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Rockets can offer him more than most teams (that are interested in his service) and have a starting spot open for him .  He is good friends with Dhoward, Rockets are one of the top teams. Low tax .  Mchale is not anal like SVG

I think any of the Texas teams will be good (except Spurs, as I don't think he fits in with the system).

As you mentioned, him and Dwight are good friends and would definitely help them defensively either starting PF next to Dwight or off the bench. OR he can go to Dallas with his other buddy Rondo, also off the bench backing up Dirk. He can provide defense off the bench and provide a bit scoring. Also gives them another fast break option which I think can be huge for that team. 

« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2014, 02:10:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I guess that means they would want to keep Monroe and they may offer him some decent cash next year, now that they're gonna be committed to a Monroe/Drummond front court.
Monroe has played really well this year. It has been looking more and more likely that Detroit change their mind and choose to keep him this summer.

I bet they will offer the max to Monroe and try to bring in someone like a Jeff Green. 

I really don't think Monroe, Drummond front court duo works, but it looks like SVG wants to keep it that way for the long run. 

The will also try to get rid of Jennings (who has made minimal impact under SVG).  Prob try to steal someone like a Reggie Jackson away from OKC

« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
McHale not being a hardass like SVG is exactly why Smith shouldn't sign with Houston, but I might be expecting a bit too much self-awareness out of him.

« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I think any of the Texas teams will be good (except Spurs, as I don't think he fits in with the system).

As you mentioned, him and Dwight are good friends and would definitely help them defensively either starting PF next to Dwight or off the bench. OR he can go to Dallas with his other buddy Rondo, also off the bench backing up Dirk. He can provide defense off the bench and provide a bit scoring. Also gives them another fast break option which I think can be huge for that team.

I guess if Smith is dying to play with Rondo, he will go to the MAvs. Mavs could use Smith from the bench after losing Wright.

Pretty loaded team if they can get Smith coming off the bench

My money is still on the Rockets having the best capability to bring in Smith.   

« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2014, 02:15:52 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I guess if Smith is dying to play with Rondo, he will go to the MAvs. Mavs could use Smith from the bench after losing Wright.

Plus, Morrey is a genius, and had this planned all along :)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2014, 02:18:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Plus, Morrey is a genius, and had this planned all along :)

haha maybe. He is also a sleazeball

« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2014, 02:28:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Good point. Yes, I think that makes sense.

And I can't see the Spurs as being the team he signs with. Based on his friendship with Melo and Rondo - possibly Mavs or Knicks?

Yes -- Knicks would be a great option ... well, if they are still trying to win and do not mind hurting draft position.

Big hole at that PF position. I would think Josh Smith with his defense, passing, rebounding would be a Phil Jackson type of player. He has good history with difficult characters.

« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2014, 02:36:43 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

And I can't see the Spurs as being the team he signs with. Based on his friendship with Melo and Rondo - possibly Mavs or Knicks?

Yes -- Knicks would be a great option ... well, if they are still trying to win and do not mind hurting draft position.

Big hole at that PF position. I would think Josh Smith with his defense, passing, rebounding would be a Phil Jackson type of player. He has good history with difficult characters.

Ooh, good point - Knicks are exactly the kind of team to take a risk on this, and if Smith doesn't care too much about winning this year he might very well take it.  Hadn't thought of them.

« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2014, 02:41:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

why would Smith want to play for the Knicks??  lol

makes zero sense.   Guys like in Smith's situation sign with contenders to try to get a ring

« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2014, 02:42:28 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LOL

Josh Smith was the missing piece for a Celtics title?
aprils fools day came really late this year.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2014, 02:50:36 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Smith's main concern could be establishing he can still play big minutes at a high level for his next contract, instead of getting a ring.

« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2014, 02:51:25 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

why would Smith want to play for the Knicks??  lol

makes zero sense.   Guys like in Smith's situation sign with contenders to try to get a ring

Do they? Or do they go where the most playing time is for the chance at another contract? I could see it going either way.

Edit: Or, exactly what fafnir said, except I think it's possible he goes for a ring....

The Knicks may not want him

« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2014, 02:58:18 PM »

Offline hondobird33

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Smith being waived hurts us since a team will likely pick him up cheap (i.e. Houston, Dallas, etc.) they might have been a good trade partner for Bass.