Author Topic: Pistons WAIVE Josh Smith  (Read 29022 times)

Re: Pistons WAIVE Josh Smith
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2014, 01:35:17 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Ya and if that's the piece that would have kept rondo around smith might have got us points off the bench to spell green or green is the one that becomes our 6th man probably woulda been cheap and the next Oscar Mr. Triple Double Stays in Boston Where he belongs.

ACTUALLY, now that you mentioned it. Say in that scenario, we do grab Smith for cheap. Does Smith really comes off the bench, or does he start at PF with either Sully or Zeller starting at center?

« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2014, 01:35:48 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It doesn't make much sense to waive Gerald Wallace.

It makes less sense to think that Josh Smith would've helped the Celtics.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2014, 01:36:35 PM »

Offline bostonsportsfan

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 9
very interesting, we could have traded for him for next to nothing, yet ainge decided to sell rondo, time will be the judge, i feel like ainge has put his job on the line in the last week
outstanding point maybe like powel and Wallace instead of powel and rondo???????? Don't tell me that's not gonna make this team better TP for you

« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2014, 01:37:07 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
on a side note why not just waive Gerald Wallace then?

Because most teams don't want to pay players not to play for them.

very interesting, we could have traded for him for next to nothing, yet ainge decided to sell rondo, time will be the judge, i feel like ainge has put his job on the line in the last week

Aside from the simple fact that the Celtics quite literally could not have traded for him "for next to nothing" as they lack the cap space to absorb his contract without giving up pieces that Detroit would want, what's so interesting about it?  By every account, Sacramento was the only team that was interested in taking on his contract - and they were only going to do so if they got to dump other bad contracts on Detroit.

« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2014, 01:40:56 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
we could have given the pistons wallace and favs and they would have saved money, if rondo and smith have an impact next couple of years i will add my voice to the fire ainge crowd and so will many others, but i am willing to wait

« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2014, 01:45:30 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
we could have given the pistons wallace and favs and they would have saved money, if rondo and smith have an impact next couple of years i will add my voice to the fire ainge crowd and so will many others, but i am willing to wait

So they could have probably had Smith for Wallace's contract, and Ainge wouldn't do it. But if the other 28 teams wouldn't take Smith on that contract for free, what does that tell you about the NBA's opinion of him right now?

« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2014, 01:48:32 PM »

Offline bostonsportsfan

• Kristaps Porzingis
Ya and if that's the piece that would have kept rondo around smith might have got us points off the bench to spell green or green is the one that becomes our 6th man probably woulda been cheap and the next Oscar Mr. Triple Double Stays in Boston Where he belongs.

ACTUALLY, now that you mentioned it. Say in that scenario, we do grab Smith for cheap. Does Smith really comes off the bench, or does he start at PF with either Sully or Zeller starting at center?
Options for Brad stevens = Good thing

« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2014, 01:50:24 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
i don't really care about nba opinion, we could have had easily rondo plus smith, time will tell what was the correct move, and if they have a impact , ainge should get fired

« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2014, 01:54:15 PM »

Offline bostonsportsfan

• Kristaps Porzingis
100 % Accurate Go you don't get better by trading a hof Pg for a box of junk I like options I don't care about the nbas opinion I care about the nba scoreboard and if boston scores 1 more point than the team we are playing that's all that matters hoping and praying for lottery balls is not fun Rondo should have been signed along time ago.

« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2014, 01:58:14 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

...where this thread seems headed  ;)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2014, 02:01:48 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
He's a bum
Yup

« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2014, 02:04:32 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Stay away from Josh Smith. Nothing good can come from having him on your team.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2014, 02:05:03 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

...where this thread seems headed  ;)

Also, where any team with Josh Smith is headed.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2014, 02:06:24 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
Shocking is all I can say.  I wonder if Carlisle or McHale could tame Smith into being an awesome 6th man hustle bench player who just rebounds, plays great d, and doesn't need to force things on off?  probably not, but if they could he would be such an asset.  He is so talented.  He could be a difference maker for one of those western conf teams if he could get his head straight.

espn: "By choosing to waive Smith now, Detroit will have to pay off what is owed to Smith beyond this season, but the Pistons can reduce the yearly hit to the $5 million range over the next few years with the NBA's stretch provision."

I guess with the cap going up in the next years 5mil is a drop in the bucket? hmm

i expect that there might be another amnesty after the 16-17 season, as part of whatever compromise the owners and players reach to avoid either side opting out of the deal, or for sure if someone does opt out it would be part of resolving the lockout/strike. so they may have the option to clear the cap hit on the last year. given that there paying him anyways it would be a no brainer, unless they make an even worse move before then they want out of.

« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2014, 02:06:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I laughed at this news, nuts how that worked out.

I think he ends up in Houston.