Author Topic: Pistons WAIVE Josh Smith  (Read 29032 times)

Re: Pistons WAIVE Josh Smith
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2014, 12:43:39 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Marc Stein ?@ESPNSteinLine  2m2 minutes ago
ESPN sources say both Kings and Mavericks have interest in signing Josh Smith as a free agent if (when) he clears waivers Wednesday

I bet Houston gets in on this.

Mavs make a lot of sense. Need rebounding, bench. Have the allure of being a contender and have Rondo.

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2014, 12:52:40 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Smith on a cheap contract is infinitely better than Matt Barnes.  The guy has terrible BBIQ, but come on, he's still a legitimate NBA player.  Coming off the bench for a contender with minimal impact on their cap?  That'd be amazing.

Repeat after me: Josh Smith is not a small forward.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2014, 12:54:52 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Uhh, I'm not sure how that's even relevant, but okay?  I don't think anyone would debate that at this point.

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2014, 12:54:57 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
woah!!!!

Holy snap! Was not expecting that.

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2014, 12:56:03 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
ESPN sources say both Kings and Mavericks have interest in signing Josh Smith as a free agent if (when) he clears waivers Wednesday

Mavs make a lot of sense. Need rebounding, bench. Have the allure of being a contender and have Rondo.

Mavs make a huge amount of sense, especially now that Rondo is there. Gives Dirk a break, toughens up their D. Can play alongside both Dirk and Parsons potentially...(right?).

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'm surprised Lakers aren't going after him

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2014, 12:58:35 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
he'd be an immediate upgrade over Wright in Dallas.

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2014, 01:00:27 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Haha God just REALLY didn't want us to keep Rondo this summer. If we could've picked up Smith on a cheap contract after he clears waivers, that would've went a long way in helping us keep Rondo this summer. If this would've happened five days or so ago, our team could potentially have looked much different.

Not saying I thought we needed or even wanted Smith, but I bet Ainge would've tried to grab him on the cheap to help convince Rondo to stay.

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2014, 01:02:39 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Given that Atlanta is better off without him and Detroit was a frickin' Perfect Storm of Basketball Suck with him, are people really that sure title contenders are going to jump at bringing "The Bad Jumpshot That Walks Like A Man" to their team?

Mike

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2014, 01:03:20 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75

Mavs make a huge amount of sense, especially now that Rondo is there. Gives Dirk a break, toughens up their D. Can play alongside both Dirk and Parsons potentially...(right?).

My bet is that he's going to Dallas. Always wanted to play with Rondo, so here's his chance. He also could fit along as a PF in a small ball line up (and in case Tyson Chandler gets hurt) with Dirk, Smith, Parsons, Ellis and Rondo

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2014, 01:04:01 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Haha God just REALLY didn't want us to keep Rondo this summer. If we could've picked up Smith on a cheap contract after he clears waivers, that would've went a long way in helping us keep Rondo this summer. If this would've happened five days or so ago, our team could potentially have looked much different.

Not saying I thought we needed or even wanted Smith, but I bet Ainge would've tried to grab him on the cheap to help convince Rondo to stay.

I think Boston with a core of a guy who can't shoot and another who shouldn't shoot would have definitely qualified as at least a venal sin.

Mike

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2014, 01:04:17 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Given that Atlanta is better off without him and Detroit was a frickin' Perfect Storm of Basketball Suck with him, are people really that sure title contenders are going to jump at bringing "The Bad Jumpshot That Walks Like A Man" to their team?

Mike

If you can add a talent like Smith to your team for a minimum value contract it is very hard to say no. If he plays like a knuckle head, just rack up his DNPs.

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2014, 01:06:35 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Eh, I'm with Mike. I think Smith needs a team like the Clippers: somewhere where he can be buried alongside the rest of the bench if he doesn't play well.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2014, 01:07:26 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
he'd be an immediate upgrade over Wright in Dallas.

??

Wright was the best bench big in the league.  Smith is a head case that can't play.

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2014, 01:19:18 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Shocking is all I can say.  I wonder if Carlisle or McHale could tame Smith into being an awesome 6th man hustle bench player who just rebounds, plays great d, and doesn't need to force things on off?  probably not, but if they could he would be such an asset.  He is so talented.  He could be a difference maker for one of those western conf teams if he could get his head straight.

espn: "By choosing to waive Smith now, Detroit will have to pay off what is owed to Smith beyond this season, but the Pistons can reduce the yearly hit to the $5 million range over the next few years with the NBA's stretch provision."

I guess with the cap going up in the next years 5mil is a drop in the bucket? hmm