Author Topic: Pistons WAIVE Josh Smith  (Read 28875 times)

Re: Pistons WAIVE Josh Smith
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2014, 12:26:12 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yeah the Spurs won't go near him, but the Clippers will probably push hard, maybe Houston, Cleveland, even Dallas...it's going to depend on where he wants to go.  Basically the best thing that could've happened to Smith, other than the embarrassment of it.  Still gets paid and picks a better situation for himself.

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 12:26:21 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Is it weird for me to say that he'll be a great fit in Sacramento?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2014, 12:26:24 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
Hahaha, holy cow.  Looks like they're siding with SVG over there. 

What happens next - they're on the hook for his salary, but he can be claimed off waivers for the vet min?  If that's true does the team claiming need to be under the cap?  Not really sure how this goes as I've never seen it with a contract this size.

I am curious how this works to. Who gets priority on waivers. Can the C's try and claim him and then trade him for something more?
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2014, 12:26:54 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I wonder if there are any teams that will actually put a claim in for him. As an FA I'd think there would be quite a few interested parties, but I wonder if any teams with cap space would want him bad enough to claim him knowing that the cap is rising the next two seasons. Does Sac have cap space?

If he goes to free agency and signs for say $5M, does that amount get subtracted from what Detroit has to stretch? I'm unclear on how that works.

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Pop took a chance on Stephen Jackson, I don't think he'd be averse to trying to see if he could rehabilitate Josh Smith.

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2014, 12:28:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It makes no sense to bring him here now that his buddy Rondo is gone.   I would not want him, heck would have to freeze over before I did.

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2014, 12:29:03 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
I would think (hope) any young and/or rebuilding team would think better than to bring in Smith given how his Pistons tenure just ended.

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2014, 12:29:48 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Talk about cutting bait. I think everyone knew he was never a great fit on that team,  especially as a small forward. Respect to SVG for making that decision to cut loose with JSmoove. I could see him fitting on a few teams to be honest. SAC, DAL, HOU, AND LAC make some sense.

Does this mean Detroit could try to keep Monroe for the future? Also, wouldn't Jeff Green fit pretty well on that team?

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2014, 12:31:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

What happens next - they're on the hook for his salary, but he can be claimed off waivers for the vet min?  If that's true does the team claiming need to be under the cap?  Not really sure how this goes as I've never seen it with a contract this size.

I am curious how this works to. Who gets priority on waivers. Can the C's try and claim him and then trade him for something more?

No one is going to claim him on waivers with that salary. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2014, 12:31:35 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Pop took a chance on Stephen Jackson, I don't think he'd be averse to trying to see if he could rehabilitate Josh Smith.

Depends on how far back you go, though -- Pop also decided to cut ties with Dennis Rodman pretty quickly.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2014, 12:33:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

There is waiver bidding process, so it doesn't have to be at THAT salary. And yes, teams have to be under the cap to claim.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2014, 12:33:24 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Oh, that's true -- but he was still willing to take the chance.  That's my only point: I don't think it'd be out of the question by any means for Pop to even consider the thought of picking up Smith.  He's not afraid to cut bait when it's clear it won't work out.

Per Spears, the Kings are looking to try to sign him.  Honestly, if they could get him for the cheap, I think the Deron Williams trade would actually be a good idea.

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2014, 12:39:33 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Marc Stein ?@ESPNSteinLine  2m2 minutes ago
ESPN sources say both Kings and Mavericks have interest in signing Josh Smith as a free agent if (when) he clears waivers Wednesday

I bet Houston gets in on this.

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2014, 12:40:06 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

There is waiver bidding process, so it doesn't have to be at THAT salary. And yes, teams have to be under the cap to claim.

The way I understand the process is that there is a bidding process after he clears waivers.  Not during it.   On waivers, the team would have to pay his existing contract if claimed. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2014, 12:41:44 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Marc Stein ?@ESPNSteinLine  2m2 minutes ago
ESPN sources say both Kings and Mavericks have interest in signing Josh Smith as a free agent if (when) he clears waivers Wednesday

I bet Houston gets in on this.

Been there, done that:

Quote from: Marc Stein
Rockets, I'm told, are in fact-finding mode and weighing whether to make a Josh Smith run. Too early to say if they're in or out