Author Topic: random thoughts on our bigs  (Read 3574 times)

Re: random thoughts on our bigs
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 04:56:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I question how good a piece WCS is for a team in such an early stage of a rebuilding process.

I mean Boston has good depth and that allows them to be better than most of the truly awful teams in the league ... but that is depth, not star talent. Not something they are can truly build around long term. To win big in this league, you need stars and the Celtics do not have any. The youth they do have is highly questionable to become stars down the road.

I question how useful an all-defense no offense player like WCS is for a rebuilding team in such an early stage of it's development. I mean, he sounds like he'd be a great piece when you already have Durant and Westbrook in place ... but when you have no Durant and no Westbrook? Is WCS really that valuable?

I think Boston should be looking for more of a two-way talent than WCS if at all possible with their lottery pick this summer.

I think WCS is more of a later piece to the puzzle than the first piece of a puzzle.
why yes, i am sure the celtics, and every other team, would love to get a center who can play defense and score. but that is the rub isn't it? high demand for a low supply. folks like that just aren't available to many teams.

should the celtics select WCS in the draft, i am sure it was because okafur and towns were not available.

What I am saying is that maybe Boston should forgo WCS in favour of a forward or a guard who is more of a two way player. Rather than taking a defense-only big.

Like Justice Winslow or Stanley Johnson or maybe of those foreign guys.

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 04:57:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
1) They're realllllyyyyy tall.
2) They're also really big.
3) I don't think I could carry any of them.
4) Brendan Wright has a pretty long neck, especially in proportion to his face.
5) Olynyk is white. So is Zeller.
6) Olynyk also can't jump, although it is completely unrelated. Sully can't jump either.
7) Brendan Wright can SKY sometimes.
8) Zeller has a nice jump hook. (the 8 followed by a closed parenthesis turned into an emoticon)
9) Sully has a nice "plow into a guy and hold your arm out as far away from the defender as possible to flip it in and compensate for height and leaping disadvantages" shot.
10) Bass is a stand up guy.
11) But he is most likely gone soon.
12) Olynyk has some great shot form.
13) Sullinger palms the ball and sticks it out before he shoots a free throw.
14) Bass is trying to dribble recently and I've almost had heart attacks when he goes behind the back.

EDIT: Here's a really cool picture of brendan wright I found on the internet

well, you certainly did fulfill the request contained in the title. you win a tp!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 04:58:10 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I question how good a piece WCS is for a team in such an early stage of a rebuilding process.

I mean Boston has good depth and that allows them to be better than most of the truly awful teams in the league ... but that is depth, not star talent. Not something they are can truly build around long term. To win big in this league, you need stars and the Celtics do not have any. The youth they do have is highly questionable to become stars down the road.

I question how useful an all-defense no offense player like WCS is for a rebuilding team in such an early stage of it's development. I mean, he sounds like he'd be a great piece when you already have Durant and Westbrook in place ... but when you have no Durant and no Westbrook? Is WCS really that valuable?

I think Boston should be looking for more of a two-way talent than WCS if at all possible with their lottery pick this summer.

I think WCS is more of a later piece to the puzzle than the first piece of a puzzle.
why yes, i am sure the celtics, and every other team, would love to get a center who can play defense and score. but that is the rub isn't it? high demand for a low supply. folks like that just aren't available to many teams.

should the celtics select WCS in the draft, i am sure it was because okafur and towns were not available.

What I am saying is that maybe Boston should forgo WCS in favour of a forward or a guard who is more of a two way player. Rather than taking a defense-only big.

Like Justice Winslow or Stanley Johnson or maybe of those foreign guys.
ok. never mind.  :D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 07:49:29 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I am not sure any of these players are still going to be here 3-4 years from now.

Bass is clearly on his way out. Zeller and Brandan Wright are fine backups but neither are starting material. Sullinger is a good starting PF but his weight problems make him an uncertain long term bet. Olynyk cannot defend anybody and majority of his good games come against lowest caliber of opposition.

It is not a promising situation. It is more disappointing than promising.

Not true.

Among his best games this season were ones against Chicago, Cleveland, Washington, Toronto, Memphis, Oklahoma City and Brooklyn. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:59:36 PM by Celtics18 »
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 08:30:03 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
6) Olynyk also can't jump, although it is completely unrelated. Sully can't jump either.
8) Zeller has a nice jump hook. (the 8 followed by a closed parenthesis turned into an emoticon)
9) Sully has a nice "plow into a guy and hold your arm out as far away from the defender as possible to flip it in and compensate for height and leaping disadvantages" shot.
14) Bass is trying to dribble recently and I've almost had heart attacks when he goes behind the back.

There is empirical evidence that points 5 and 6 are related. I believe Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes co-authored this study.  ;D

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 08:36:49 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

There is empirical evidence that points 5 and 6 are related. I believe Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes co-authored this study.  ;D

6a.  Tyler Zeller can jump.

So much for the empirical study. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 08:39:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

We need several two way players, I think.

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 08:40:55 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

6a.  Tyler Zeller can jump.

So much for the empirical study.

Statistical anomaly, bro.  ;)

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 08:41:09 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I am not sure any of these players are still going to be here 3-4 years from now.

Bass is clearly on his way out. Zeller and Brandan Wright are fine backups but neither are starting material. Sullinger is a good starting PF but his weight problems make him an uncertain long term bet. Olynyk cannot defend anybody and majority of his good games come against lowest caliber of opposition.

It is not a promising situation. It is more disappointing than promising.

Not true.

Among his best games this season were ones against Chicago, Cleveland, Washington, Toronto, Memphis, Oklahoma City and Brooklyn.

Heartening!

Among Zeller, Sully, Oly and Wright, it seems to me the most solid locks to stay are, in order:  Oly (offense) and Zeller (size).  If Oly's best role is off the bench, that's great.  I still believe in Sully... maybe not as high a motor as some but his rebounding shows it's not a broken motor and his skill set is great.  He's also our only immovable big at the moment.  We need a bigger immovable big though, which is why I think Sully is the guy who'll most likely be moved.  That last sentence is kind of my main point in this thread. 

It is also interesting though to look at the power forwards in the upcoming draft, not originally a draft known for PF but for Center and SF.  Now there are some intriguing PF's like:  Looney, Porzingis, Harrel, Alexander, Portis, etc... The Celtics are deep at PF but that won't stop Danny from drafting another if he thinks it's BPA.  And then the question again is who will be traded...

But at this point Mudiay, Stanley Johnson and Winslow are the non centers who excite me more than any of the above PF's, but that could be out of ignorance and for the wrong reasons.