Author Topic: Danny Ainge  (Read 1718 times)

Danny Ainge
« on: December 22, 2014, 09:11:39 AM »

Offline DallasFrank

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
I feel the grace period for banner 17 is over. The ownership should start to think about moving on from Danny Ainge. Recently his draft record has not yielded any all star level talent. There has not been any major free agent signings, and of course the reputation of always shopping players has to hurt recruiting. The trading of Rondo has to be that last straw. The goal is to add stars and hopefully have three. When you have one it is much easier to get two then to start all over again. I feel its time to start over again in the front office for the good of the franchise?

Re: Danny Ainge
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 09:18:36 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
It's easy to criticize Ainge from an abstract perspective.  The argument falls apart in the concrete particulars. 

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 09:52:09 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I find it hard to believe that the owners didn't ok rondo's trade.

you are right he hasn't drafted a star. but who did it consistently with low first round picks ? smart can t be judged and KO looks decent.

the one thing I agree with you is that his "habit" to shop everyone in the roster is possibly hurting the FA hunt. what you are missing though is that you didn t really have a star. Rondo will ufa this summer. do you honestly believe that RR showed that he was going to sign for less than max but DA decided to trade him now instead?? I guess the under 4 5 years contract rondo could have brought a much better offer

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 09:55:32 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Danny Ainge is a great GM.
Six first round picks in the next two years.
It takes time to rebuild.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 09:55:57 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
This rebuild is an "incomplete" right now.  A work in process.

Let's see how it pans out first.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 09:56:56 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34

Am I reading this right. They didn't ok the trade?

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 09:57:49 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
Cowherd served Ainge up something serious  ;D

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=12052620

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 10:04:51 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Drafting sully, smart, ab and Kelly...

Stealing Zeller...

He's pretty good at evaluating talent.

Half the above players were drafted with 'worthless mid-late firsts'.

I'm personally quite happy.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 10:08:23 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Other way around -- he's saying that he doesn't think Rondo could be traded without the ownership's permission.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 10:12:18 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White

Other way around -- he's saying that he doesn't think Rondo could be traded without the ownership's permission.

Okay thanks for the clarification

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 10:17:11 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Drafting sully, smart, ab and Kelly...

Stealing Zeller...

He's pretty good at evaluating talent.

Half the above players were drafted with 'worthless mid-late firsts'.

I'm personally quite happy.

I think when we really needed the talent, Ainge stepped up. AB was the only solid draft pick at the peak big 3 years but the last three years have been solid.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 10:18:33 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The grace period is over. The grace period was the time it took to unspool the 2007-2012 C's and then make a decision on Rondo.

Now its the rebuilding period, time to judge Ainge on his second rebuild. This one won't involve trading for an MVP and keeping our own all-star to build around. Unfortunately for the impatient among us this is a years long grading process.  :'(

Still bummed about the trade.

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I think we are in great shape with Ainge as a GM from a talent accumulation perspective. He has demonstrated an ability to make draft picks and trades that work in the Celtics favor time and again. Overall, I feel like our multi year rebuild is in very good hands.

There are two areas I have some concerns about that I hope Danny can alleviate in future years.

One is free agent contracts. I think the jury is still out on how far he's able to stretch the salary cap.  Contracts like Mark Blount back in the day, and Avery Bradley's extension this season make me a little nervous about overpays in the future, but I also don't think Danny has had much of a chance in this department to make an impression either.

The other is drafting international players. It may just be perception driven by circumstance (i.e.: they just like someone else better), but it seems the Celtics don't like drafting international guys. With all the picks they have in the coming years doing a good job evaluating international players who can stay overseas and develop for a couple of years before being brought over will be even more important with a roster limit of 15 players.

I'm glad we have Danny staring this ship and not someone else.

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 11:32:33 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I feel the grace period for banner 17 is over. The ownership should start to think about moving on from Danny Ainge. Recently his draft record has not yielded any all star level talent. There has not been any major free agent signings, and of course the reputation of always shopping players has to hurt recruiting. The trading of Rondo has to be that last straw. The goal is to add stars and hopefully have three. When you have one it is much easier to get two then to start all over again. I feel its time to start over again in the front office for the good of the franchise?

You lost me on a number of points

"Recently his draft record has not yielded any all star level talent"

how many teams drafting where the Cs have in the past 5 years have landed stars?

"There has not been any major free agent signings"

The post big 3 era has yet to yield the cap space to sign anyone of note, Ainge can't just clear the cap without selling on current assets which makes little sense.

"of course the reputation of always shopping players has to hurt recruiting"

How can this be true if he hasnt really recruited anyone? D West is the only player I can think of who was activly recruited and missed out on and this was due to window of contention not player movement.

"he trading of Rondo has to be that last straw."

Rondo was reportedly looking else where (says Perk). Him staying would have come down to the celtics over paying him. Im glad he did not.

I agree with you that it is easier to land a star if you have a star but that is not all that it takes. The Cs tried for love and it didn't happen. There are no other obvious option on the horizon that warrant keeping Rondo to recruit.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet