Author Topic: Does this trade idea make sense?  (Read 2420 times)

Does this trade idea make sense?
« on: December 22, 2014, 09:06:27 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Bradley and Sully
for
Waiters and Thompson.

Cavs get a more defensive minded guard to complement Irving, while Celts get a more athletic power forward in Thompson.

Re: Does this trade idea make sense?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 10:09:31 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
don't like it.  not a fan of Waiters and Thompson is an ok PF but I think Sully will be better.  Sully is a solid rebounder and much better on offense. 

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 10:19:11 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34
Not for the Cavs

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 10:44:11 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Not for the Cavs

This - they need interior defense FAR more than an upgrade on the perimeter.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 10:46:40 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think you might see a Wright for Waiters type swap though.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 12:26:04 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't care for Waiters and think he is vastly over rated by most of the forum.   His PER is like -1.5, no thanks.

Why do guys like guards who can't shoot?  He shoots .28% from three and .41% from the field.   I don't care for Sully but I want to help the team when we unload him.

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/203079/stats/

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 12:57:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I do like the idea of taking a chance on Dion Waiters. I do not think he is worth giving up on Sullinger though. His trade value should be lower than that given the continued problems Waiters has had in fulfilling his talent.

I am low on Tristan Thompson. Unskilled PF. An offensive liability. I do like his potential as a defender & rebounder but I see as a backup PF long term due to his offensive limitations. I think someone like Ed Davis can give you 90% of what Thompson does for a much lower cost. So my interest level in Thompson is extremely low. Only rate him at a 1-2 2nd round pick in terms of trade value.

I'd rather leave Thompson out of the deal altogether. Celtics have 2 superior PFs in Sully and Bass and maybe even a 3rd in Olynyk. See no reason to pursue him. I'd rather target Waiters by himself.

I do love the idea of trading Bradley for Waiters and I do think such a trade is feasible given the problems Cleveland have had with defensive quickness at SG position in the backcourt position + need for someone who can play off the ball and accept a smaller role on offense. Both are strengths of Bradley. Given Cleveland's push for a Championship, I could see them settling for the less talented Bradley in an effort to boost immediate title hopes.

I think Waiters would be a great fit alongside Marcus Smart. An aggressive higher usage offensive player who is a talented dribble drive player, quality secondary ball-handler and playmaker & a strong outside shooter. I think he is the type of aggressive SG that a low usage PG like Smart could work well with.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 01:16:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I don't care for Waiters and think he is vastly over rated by most of the forum.   His PER is like -1.5, no thanks.

Why do guys like guards who can't shoot?  He shoots .28% from three and .41% from the field.   I don't care for Sully but I want to help the team when we unload him.

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/203079/stats/

Before you jump to conclusions, I thought Waiters was a better shoooter than that. Otherwise, I wouldn't have created a post about trading for him.

I certainly prefer guards that can shoot which is what my thinking was going into this before I realized Waiters shooting percentage.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 01:46:42 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
TP for posting a plausible trade idea for both teams. Waiters is the type of player I wouldn't mind seeing the C's try to acquire and see what he brings. I think the revised Waiters for Wright idea that was posted is a very good one.

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 01:58:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think you might see a Wright for Waiters type swap though.
TP for posting a plausible trade idea for both teams. Waiters is the type of player I wouldn't mind seeing the C's try to acquire and see what he brings. I think the revised Waiters for Wright idea that was posted is a very good one.

Yes, I like that idea a lot too. That would be a great trade for Boston. I'd be willing to put a late first in along with B.Wright given that he is an expiring contract this summer.

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 02:14:14 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
Anyone know the consensus on Waiters attitude? Is he considered coachable? Hard worker? Or is he a pouter in the mold of Josh Smith? Seems like an ideal "2nd draft" guy if the intangibles seem to be there.

I know he and Kyrie don't seem to get along but I just wonder how much of that was two young alpha males butting heads vs. a Waiters specific attitude problem.