Author Topic: How much cap space do we have at the end of this season? Possible targets?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
How much cap space do we have at the end of this season? Who would you guys like us to go after? and who could we REALISTICALLY get? Potential is key here

Re: How much cap space do we have at the end of this season? Possible targets?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 10:05:26 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Says we have about 45 mil committed, and if Green opts out it'd be closer to 36.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston.htm

Now, something I don't quite grasp(maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain) , but I think we can stretch out Wallace's deal to add years but create more room.

Now if we use our trade exception at some point before the summer, this will all be irrelevant.

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 10:29:45 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Says we have about 45 mil committed, and if Green opts out it'd be closer to 36.

Now, something I don't quite grasp(maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain) , but I think we can stretch out Wallace's deal to add years but create more room.

Now if we use our trade exception at some point before the summer, this will all be irrelevant.
yes, basically correct. the celtics can stretch wallace's contract over 5 years. since wallace has one year left at around $10 million, the celtics COULD stretch that amount over 5 years at $2 million per year.

the key, of course, is that why do this unless you absolutely need the room to sign someone. honestly, i dont know if the extra $8 million will make a difference next year or not. but it is nice to have that option i suppose.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 11:50:36 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

yes, basically correct. the celtics can stretch wallace's contract over 5 years. since wallace has one year left at around $10 million, the celtics COULD stretch that amount over 5 years at $2 million per year.

the key, of course, is that why do this unless you absolutely need the room to sign someone. honestly, i dont know if the extra $8 million will make a difference next year or not. but it is nice to have that option i suppose.

I believe the stretch provision is 2 times the number of years left on the contract plus 1 year so that would be 3 years not 5 once this season is over.   

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 11:57:12 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Would need help from an expert to confirm but if I'm reading this right, we have $46.4 million in contracts for next year. I don't know how much the cap would be but if we estimate and say it's at $62 million, we'll have enough room to offer a max contract.

Am I right?

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2015/
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 12:00:38 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
How much cap space do we have at the end of this season? Who would you guys like us to go after? and who could we REALISTICALLY get? Potential is key here

Realistically?  No one.  In fact, if we do end up having significant cap space this year, this could very well finally settle the argument between the two sides who argue that no one ever wants to come here (me, lol ;D) because it's Boston, and the other side which continues to point out that we've never had the financial flexibility to go out and get one of these guys.  Honestly, if I'm wrong, and a superstar actually signed here, I'd be the first to apologize and admit that I was wrong, but I just don't see anyone ever coming here via free agency, especially after this most recent 'trade.'  Ugh.  We'll see what happens, but just like the draft, I wouldn't get your hopes up.  Sigh.