Author Topic: Roster Jam - a 12 man rotation is not viable!  (Read 6393 times)

Re: Roster Jam - a 12 man rotation is not viable!
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 05:57:28 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
thorton isn't going anywhere because of salary(we don't want long term salary back)
Wllace isn't going anywhere

most likely to get traded
Green
Bass
wright
Nelson
Turner

most likely to stay

Bradley cause of contract
smart
ko
sully
zellar
young

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 08:35:23 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't understand how this "creates a problem for coach Stevens". It's the coach's task to identify his core guys and play them -- something which is true regardless of who is on the roster. There's no such thing as "everyone deserves playing time". Some guys deserve more playing time than others (and guys like Wallace or Pressey shouldn't be on the court at all for this team).

Stevens, by the way, has been an abject failure in this respect, as his team has lacked both core guys and core plays for a very long time now.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 08:36:30 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
trade idea (most will hate)

Cs get E Gordon, A Bargnani (buyout), L Fields, Stiemsma, Raptors loto protected 1st, knicks future 2nd, NO 2 future 2nds,( 3.3mill cash from knicks towards bargs buyout)

Raptors get J Green

Pelicans get Thorton, Wallace

Knicks get
Bass

Why

Cs,  In the end this opens up the rotation for the Cs. Gordon seems like a tough pill to swallow but if he can get healthy next year with it being his contract year he could surprise people. Wallace will not surprise anyone. Fields and Steimsma will get some rotational minutes and play out the end of their expiring deals. 

Raptors, they upgrade their starting SF and make Ross a very good sub

Knicks, Bass is a good fit next to melo. He can match up on D with the tougher forward and gives spacing on O.

Pelicans, they get a shooter in thorton which they desperately need. Wallace isn't just a throw in he gives them leadership and a solid vet on a bench that lacks depth.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 08:52:22 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 09:02:06 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I don't understand why anyone would think Jameer Nelson needs playing time. We'll see on Crowder, but the only guys I think who need to be in the rotation every game are Sully, Olynyk, Zeller, Wright, Bass, Green, Bradley, Turner and Smart. The others are situational at best.
I think the problem is Ainge and Coach are not on the same page.
One is trying to lose, the other wants to win.

Any player who is not part of our future should not be getting minutes (Nelson, Thornton, Bass) Young should be getting some minutes is we are in full rebuild.

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 09:02:36 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I don't understand how this "creates a problem for coach Stevens". It's the coach's task to identify his core guys and play them -- something which is true regardless of who is on the roster. There's no such thing as "everyone deserves playing time". Some guys deserve more playing time than others (and guys like Wallace or Pressey shouldn't be on the court at all for this team).

Stevens, by the way, has been an abject failure in this respect, as his team has lacked both core guys and core plays for a very long time now.

The problem is the organization has to handle its employees (players) in a way that does not alienate them (and maybe more importantly their agents). When a player like Thorton is traded to a team where he has no clear role in a contract year for him it could quickly become toxic.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/agent-concerned-over-thorntons-opportunities-cs

If he feels his lack of playing time prevents him from earning his next paycheck then he and his agent with both be left sour to the celtics. This is why its tough for stevens, I'm sure DA is telling him to get these young vets time. This may payoff down the road with DA having strong relationships with agents who remember that the Celtics did right by one of his other clients. Thorton for example is represented by the same agent as Bass and Jrue Holiday.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 10:20:47 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
We already have so many picks, I think Danny's intention should be to try and get young players he thinks he can develop. If Ainge can get quality young players for any of Bass, Wright, Nelson, Thornton, and Green then he should do it. Here are some players on teams in contention that would be good targets for Boston's roster going forward.

Charlotte: Biyombo, Vonleh, MKG (they have an easy slate in January, if they can get back into it I could see them wanting Green and Thornton to add shooting)

Cleveland: Waiters

Orlando: Harkless, Nicholson (neither of these guys see much court time so if Orlando could add a rotation big to help their playoff push it makes sense for both teams)

Toronto: Nogueira, Caboclo

New Orleans: Rivers

OKC: Lamb, Jackson

Portland: Leonard, McCollum

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 10:59:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Charlotte: Biyombo, Vonleh, MKG (they have an easy slate in January, if they can get back into it I could see them wanting Green and Thornton to add shooting)

Cleveland: Waiters

Orlando: Harkless, Nicholson (neither of these guys see much court time so if Orlando could add a rotation big to help their playoff push it makes sense for both teams)

Toronto: Nogueira, Caboclo

New Orleans: Rivers

OKC: Lamb, Jackson

Portland: Leonard, McCollum

I really hope this is not his plan, the only one I would want is Jackson.   The rest have role player written all over them or worse.

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 12:04:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

The problem is the organization has to handle its employees (players) in a way that does not alienate them (and maybe more importantly their agents). When a player like Thorton is traded to a team where he has no clear role in a contract year for him it could quickly become toxic.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/agent-concerned-over-thorntons-opportunities-cs

If he feels his lack of playing time prevents him from earning his next paycheck then he and his agent with both be left sour to the celtics. This is why its tough for stevens, I'm sure DA is telling him to get these young vets time. This may payoff down the road with DA having strong relationships with agents who remember that the Celtics did right by one of his other clients. Thorton for example is represented by the same agent as Bass and Jrue Holiday.
This doesn't make any sense. There are 6 guys that don't play on every team in the NBA.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 12:06:28 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I think whiny veterans are a bigger problem for the C's than our rotation. Someone should buy Stevens some noise-cancelling headphones for Christmas.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 12:19:48 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Does anyone think Wright can use his quickness to guard small forwards on D?  If so big lineups might work as I think all 5 of our bigs deserve playing time.  That way you can keep all 5 of them with their usual playing time, and maybe limit the exposure of playing other guys too much that might not deserve it.