Author Topic: Who's gonna take Jeff Green?  (Read 9405 times)

Re: Who's gonna take Jeff Green?
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2014, 10:46:43 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
The team that offers the most (or the largest trade exception)
Trade exceptions aren't really going to matter to us.  We will have a very short window to actually use them until we ended up with cap space.

Sounds like Green is available to the first team willing to give up protected 1st for him.  Not sure anyone is going to meet that price.
Given what ainge did with Cleveland and a TE I don't think I agree with your initial point.
That took time and required us to take on a contract... so rethink my point.

In order to utilize our cap space this summer, we'll need to get rid of all of our exceptions...  So if we hope to be players in free agency, we aren't going to use the TPE. 

We could use it in the next couple months, maybe.  We could decide to forget about cap space and use the TPE to trade for someone instead.

Of course... if you have over 12 mil in cap space, there is really no reason to use the TPE since you could use your cap space to make the same trades you would have made with the TPE... so again, we only have a small window where we have any use for it.

I'd prefer to absorb a player into the Celtic vortex with the TPE like some evil planet on Star Trek.
More fun than a difficult trade over the summer.

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 10:51:12 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Trade exceptions aren't really going to matter to us.  We will have a very short window to actually use them until we ended up with cap space.

Sounds like Green is available to the first team willing to give up protected 1st for him.  Not sure anyone is going to meet that price.
Given what ainge did with Cleveland and a TE I don't think I agree with your initial point.

In order to utilize our cap space this summer, we'll need to get rid of all of our exceptions...  So if we hope to be players in free agency, we aren't going to use the TPE. 

We could use it in the next couple months, maybe.  We could decide to forget about cap space and use the TPE to trade for someone instead.

Of course... if you have over 12 mil in cap space, there is really no reason to use the TPE since you could use your cap space to make the same trades you would have made with the TPE... so again, we only have a small window where we have any use for it.
They could use their cap space then trade then use the TPE to go over the cap. ALthough that would amount to adding around 35-40MM in salary next year which is unlikely at best.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2014, 11:26:56 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

They could use their cap space then trade then use the TPE to go over the cap. ALthough that would amount to adding around 35-40MM in salary next year which is unlikely at best.

We would have to renounce the TPE to use the cap space.

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2014, 11:32:41 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Really? we can't use our cap space then use the TPE after we are at the cap again?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2014, 11:33:24 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I was using the TE as a negative, sarcastic example. I was pointing to the fact that Danny possibly passed up a lottery pick (NO's first from Houston) just so he could get another TE when he traded Rondo. I think he has an unhealthy obsession with those things.

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2014, 11:33:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Really? we can't use our cap space then use the TPE after we are at the cap again?
Yes we can, but TPEs count against the cap unless you announce them. Just like a player's bird rights carry a cap hold.

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2014, 11:42:56 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I say keep Jeff.

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2014, 11:43:33 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I could see Atlanta taking a flyer. They seem to have trouble luring free agent talent, maybe trade for Jeff to acquire his bird rights.

Atlanta has the rights to swap picks with Brooklyn this year so that would be a nice pick to get.

How did I forget about Atlanta, lol?  TP for the idea.  I don't think that we could get that Brooklyn pick, though, but hey, maybe we could go get Dennis Schroeder, since he's obviously a clone of Rondo with a better jump shot (sarcasm). ;) ::) ;D

You're like that physchotic x boyfriend.

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2014, 12:02:36 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I say keep Jeff.
If you want to keep him, how high would you be willing to go for him? I wouldn't go higher than 4 and 40 but I'm sure someone will.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2014, 12:34:13 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I say keep Jeff.
If you want to keep him, how high would you be willing to go for him? I wouldn't go higher than 4 and 40 but I'm sure someone will.
He's gonna get way more than that. He's making $9 something right now and is probably is having a career year. I like Jeff but I think there will be teams out there will to pay more. Hell opt out and cash in (and he should).

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2014, 01:09:11 PM »

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
I think the Bulls could be a nice trade partner. They could really need Jeff Green and have some pieces that might be interesting for the Celtincs (Gibson,Mirotic,McDermott).

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2014, 01:12:43 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think the Bulls could be a nice trade partner. They could really need Jeff Green and have some pieces that might be interesting for the Celtincs (Gibson,Mirotic,McDermott).
I doubt the Bulls can afford to keep Jeff Green with Jimmy Butler's big contract extension on the horizon.

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2014, 01:14:49 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

The Cs are not getting players with this level of value for Green. Aim lower.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2014, 02:47:31 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Celtics would be lucky to get a 2nd and an expiring for Green. That's the best case scenario.

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2014, 03:07:33 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Celtics would be lucky to get a 2nd and an expiring for Green. That's the best case scenario.

Yeah, okay.

It could be argued that if Green was willing to opt in next year or sign an extension with Atl that it would be a smart move for them to trade their first (which will be Brooklyn's first) for him. Who are they going to draft that can step in and be their starting SF for the next several years while they are competing? Their top players are all around Green's age - it would make a ton of sense from their perspective.

I realize this argument could also be made with Rondo and Dallas, but their players are all over the map in terms of age and next year could totally be different for them.

I suppose you could be right, but that would mean that all of our first round picks are worth more than players of Green and Rondo's caliber - which would be awesome!