Author Topic: Who's gonna take Jeff Green?  (Read 9418 times)

Re: Who's gonna take Jeff Green?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 01:29:06 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
The team that offers the most (or the largest trade exception)
Trade exceptions aren't really going to matter to us.  We will have a very short window to actually use them until we ended up with cap space.

Sounds like Green is available to the first team willing to give up protected 1st for him.  Not sure anyone is going to meet that price.
Given what ainge did with Cleveland and a TE I don't think I agree with your initial point.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 02:21:57 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Jeff Green would fit perfectly on a lot of teams.I'd like to see him go to Memphis or Houston.

Ideally I would want a 2017 Memphis pick. (Theyll probably stink by then)

Memphis traded their 2015 pick (protected until 2019) to Cleveland and they don't have anyone else's pick.  Houston traded their 2015 pick (protected until 2021) to LA but they do have the New Orleans pick.  However I don't think they'd want Green when they already have Ariza.

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 02:27:53 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I could see Atlanta taking a flyer. They seem to have trouble luring free agent talent, maybe trade for Jeff to acquire his bird rights.

Atlanta has the rights to swap picks with Brooklyn this year so that would be a nice pick to get. 

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 03:08:14 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I could see Atlanta taking a flyer. They seem to have trouble luring free agent talent, maybe trade for Jeff to acquire his bird rights.

Atlanta has the rights to swap picks with Brooklyn this year so that would be a nice pick to get.

How did I forget about Atlanta, lol?  TP for the idea.  I don't think that we could get that Brooklyn pick, though, but hey, maybe we could go get Dennis Schroeder, since he's obviously a clone of Rondo with a better jump shot (sarcasm). ;) ::) ;D

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 03:37:21 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

How did I forget about Atlanta, lol?  TP for the idea.  I don't think that we could get that Brooklyn pick, though, but hey, maybe we could go get Dennis Schroeder, since he's obviously a clone of Rondo with a better jump shot (sarcasm). ;) ::) ;D

Assuming they're interested in Green, they'd probably trade it with some protection or we could offer one of our late firsts as an offset.  The problem is they don't have a good salary match so a third team would probably have to be involved. 

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 04:34:34 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The team that offers the most (or the largest trade exception)
Trade exceptions aren't really going to matter to us.  We will have a very short window to actually use them until we ended up with cap space.

Sounds like Green is available to the first team willing to give up protected 1st for him.  Not sure anyone is going to meet that price.
Given what ainge did with Cleveland and a TE I don't think I agree with your initial point.
That took time and required us to take on a contract... so rethink my point.

In order to utilize our cap space this summer, we'll need to get rid of all of our exceptions...  So if we hope to be players in free agency, we aren't going to use the TPE. 

We could use it in the next couple months, maybe.  We could decide to forget about cap space and use the TPE to trade for someone instead.

Of course... if you have over 12 mil in cap space, there is really no reason to use the TPE since you could use your cap space to make the same trades you would have made with the TPE... so again, we only have a small window where we have any use for it.

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 04:37:12 AM »

Offline cm43sports

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
What about something like Mike Scott, Demarre Carroll, Shelvin Mack along with their first round pick for Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger, Phil Pressey and Philadelphia's second round picks?
Mack would become the back-up point guard while re-uniting with his college coach. Carroll would be a free agent at the end of the year and Scott could hopefully be traded or bought out. This would also open up playing time for James Young while obviously committing us to a long-term rebuild.

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 08:00:55 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I still say Green to MEM for Prince (expiring) and Jordan Adams is the most logical trade out there.

I see it as a fair deal, and sensible for both sides. But i think the Cs will need to get a competitive bid they're actually prepared to take before forcing the Grizz to pull the trigger.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 08:21:03 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Taking a different angle on this DA should be looking to trade Green,Bass,Thorton and Nelson to the following teams.

Heat
Nets
Magic
Pacers
Hornets
Pistons
Knicks

These are the teams that the Cs need to see improve in order to help them get a better pick. I am not a fan of the 76ers style tank but I could get behind shipping those 4 players to bottom half eastern conference teams for pennies to the dollar. The rest of the season we would be watching a lineup of Smart, AB, Turner, Sully, Wright with KO, Zeller , Young and Pressy getting most of the bench minutes. I can handle that because unlike Phili we would be losing with young talent and not young D-league fill ins.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 08:59:46 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I still say Green to MEM for Prince (expiring) and Jordan Adams is the most logical trade out there.

I see it as a fair deal, and sensible for both sides. But i think the Cs will need to get a competitive bid they're actually prepared to take before forcing the Grizz to pull the trigger.

I don't think Memphis will be as willing to trade for Green as some think. He can opt out after the season and they'd have to resign him and Marc Gasol who should be in line for max money. That's a lot of financial commitment for them. Now, if Jeff agrees to get rid of his player option and guarantees he's under contract for next year, I think they'd do it. But I don't think it's a good business move on his end. He has to cash in while his stock is high.

What about something like Mike Scott, Demarre Carroll, Shelvin Mack along with their first round pick for Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger, Phil Pressey and Philadelphia's second round picks?
Mack would become the back-up point guard while re-uniting with his college coach. Carroll would be a free agent at the end of the year and Scott could hopefully be traded or bought out. This would also open up playing time for James Young while obviously committing us to a long-term rebuild.

I don't see the need to include Sully in that deal and think it's a bad value. You can do it without him and Philly's pick. We'd be taking on salary with Scott and Mack. If you can get Atlanta to give up that first, they'll likely want to protect it.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2014, 09:08:05 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Sad state of affairs if Green is truly available for a protected first and change, especially following the Rondo deal.

+1.....why people want to GIVE Green away is beyond me.

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 09:17:44 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Taking a different angle on this DA should be looking to trade Green,Bass,Thorton and Nelson to the following teams.

Heat
Nets
Magic
Pacers
Hornets
Pistons
Knicks

These are the teams that the Cs need to see improve in order to help them get a better pick. I am not a fan of the 76ers style tank but I could get behind shipping those 4 players to bottom half eastern conference teams for pennies to the dollar. The rest of the season we would be watching a lineup of Smart, AB, Turner, Sully, Wright with KO, Zeller , Young and Pressy getting most of the bench minutes. I can handle that because unlike Phili we would be losing with young talent and not young D-league fill ins.

The Heat have Deng, the Pacers have George, the Magic have Harris and the Knicks have Carmelo so I see no reason for them to want Green.   Unless you really like Lopez, we should not do anything to help the Nets since we have their future picks.  The Hornets and Pistons seem like feasible possibilities. I'm sure the Hornets would trade Stephenson for Green but I doubt Ainge would want him. 

Regarding Philly, I'd take Embiid over any of our young talent and they are inline for a top draft pick in this draft.

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2014, 09:21:28 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Sad state of affairs if Green is truly available for a protected first and change, especially following the Rondo deal.

+1.....why people want to GIVE Green away is beyond me.

Yes, he's a good player when he's locked in but he can opt out at the end of the year effectively making him an expiring contract. No ones giving away valuable assets for a guy who can walk at the end of the year unless it's an elite talent forcing a trade (Dwight, Melo, Cp3). I read an article recently judging the Rondo trade and it highlighted that the most an expiring deal fetched last year was 2 second rounders.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2014, 09:51:09 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

I don't think Memphis will be as willing to trade for Green as some think. He can opt out after the season and they'd have to resign him and Marc Gasol who should be in line for max money. That's a lot of financial commitment for them. Now, if Jeff agrees to get rid of his player option and guarantees he's under contract for next year, I think they'd do it. But I don't think it's a good business move on his end. He has to cash in while his stock is high.

I'm operating under the assumption he'll opt out. Memphis is trying to win now, and they're thin / weak at SF. They're giving away not-that-much to take a crack and a championship. If they sign him over the summer, great. If not, they only give up one player they took in the 20s last summer.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2014, 10:20:13 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

Atlanta could def be involved in a Green trade. I assume they want Millsap back and having Hortford, Millsap, and Green up front with Teague and Korver in back allows Green to be as far back as the 4th or 5th option where he can excel more.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)