Author Topic: Smart's first start not all that impressive  (Read 12059 times)

Re: Smart's first start not all that impressive
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2014, 11:05:21 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I am in the Smart camp but the only thing that is concerning for me right now is that he just settles for 3? Not sure if the ankle zapped his athleticism or not? I know high ankle sprains can linger for a long time? Anyone else think he looks a little chunky?

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2014, 11:36:40 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Here's the problem with smart.  He CAN'T get to the basket consistently in the nba.  THAT is why he's not aggressive.

And like rondos shooting and Bradley's ball handling, this is not something you just learn at this point in his development.  You have combo players that can play multiple positions and you have tweeners, which can't play any position well.  Smart is a tweener.  The next Marcus banks.  He may never even be an nba level starter, much less a star.

Too bad.

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2014, 03:52:45 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
Here's the problem with smart.  He CAN'T get to the basket consistently in the nba.  THAT is why he's not aggressive.

And like rondos shooting and Bradley's ball handling, this is not something you just learn at this point in his development.  You have combo players that can play multiple positions and you have tweeners, which can't play any position well.  Smart is a tweener.  The next Marcus banks.  He may never even be an nba level starter, much less a star.

Too bad.

It was his first game.  I don't like when someone says they can't do something.  He probably can he just isn't right now.  I appreciate that Smart is just trying to fit in right now but I'd like to see him being more aggressive.  Sound familiar?  He's a rookie.  It takes a bit to develop those parts of your game.  I don't know what Smart's style ultimately is though. He was a scorer in college though.  That's why I think the DJ comparison is good somewhat.  DJ was different in that way though where he would more play off other guys vs being the guy when we had Bird and McHale and Parish. He was a guy who could shoot it and was aggressive taking it to the basket at opportune times.  Smart can shoot it imo but his shot is still developing.  I think Tommy Heinsohn is right though that being a running aggressive team is a mindset though and that starts with Marcus Smart imo.   The pg sets the tone.  Everyone has to do it though.

I think physically and talent wise Smart has no limitations.  He might not be the quickest first step guy in the nba though, but it's a mindset with him.  He might not even be rondo a magician with the pass either.  But he's solid in a lot of aspects of the game.   That's what I expect from him ultimately.  He's a standout on the defensive end. I more see that as a strength anyways.  Running is a mindset. you don't have to defend to run.  You run regardless off made baskets and everything but defense helps. Rondo thought you had to defend to run and I think Rondo was wrong in that regard.

The early Celtics Cousy and Russell were the guys then you had other guys playing off them.  Like Kobe and Shaq.  Those Celtics teams were just uber talented.   The 80's Celtics you had Bird, McHale Parish and then you had DJ and Ainge.   5 guys ultimately though.

I'm still not completely sold Smart is a pg though at this point. I think he is but I also see him as a tweener who can play both guard spots.  That's the Celtics decision to make though.  I think in ways he should be the pg, but could also see him being something else.  I think he's a pg and just has to learn aspects of the position at the  NBA level. That could take a couple years. It could happen tomorrow.  Smart is pretty smart.  We have to surround him with guys though.

I think ultimately Smart has less limitations than Rondo. Rondo could have been that too but had some mental blocks himself.  That's why he's gone in ways.  He didn't want to be here apparently.  The Celtics wanted to go another direction and it's not all Rondo's fault. They both did.

Doc would always say we want players to be themselves. Rondo in ways was kind of stuck in his ways and instead of trying to change him at this point we went with Marcus who's talent and skillset more fits what we are trying to do.

Time will tell. But I think you want marcus playing to his strengths and not being limited which means he might play multiple positions at times. But I think we want him to be the pg. I think posting him up all that.  He's kind of like  Mark Jackson to me in that regard. Dennis Johnson players like that but  I don't want to limit him that way.  People have compared him to Bill Russell at pg and why not at this point.

Smart can outphysical other pgs in the post and I think all those aspects should be utilized.  KO for example is a big man who can handle the ball and he should be utilized that way too.

I think offensively and how we look ultimately might be very different that way and more well rounded.  That stuff is going to take time to gel though.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 04:21:55 PM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2014, 10:49:39 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Smart is a combo guard.  And those are becoming more and more common in the NBA.  I don't see Smart as a 2, because a 2 in this league needs to score, that's not Smart's role.  He is going to be a distributor and lock down defender for us. 

He's probably going to get most of his points off the drive and if the defense leaves him wide open.  Something that Rondo had a problem with - scoring when the defense sagged off him.

I love Marcus Smart, but I'm not sure why he can't come off the bench if need be.

He brings a lot when he's on the court, but I don't like him as the primary ballhandler.

Smart isn't a true PG.  In college, he split time with Markel Brown running the OK state offense.  Smart should be developed to replace Bradley not Rondo.

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2014, 12:39:40 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Too bad.
Smart is going to be an elite defender, his defense alone will make him an NBA starter.

It's very hard to say he is never going to be aggressive driving to the basket. He got into the paint consistently in college, I think once he gets more experience he will be able to muscle other point guards on his way to the hoop. I wouldn't be surprised if he is being tentative now because he is learning to run an NBA offense and when gets settled in he'll attack the hoop more.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2014, 12:48:59 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I would start Turner at the point and Smart at the two.

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2014, 01:32:57 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I would consider giving Nelson the max in order to provide Smart with the proper mentorship. I think the kid can make it, but not without someone like Nelson's help.

I also wouldn't mind us bringing along a great PG developer. I could see a guy like Antoine Walker, a former PF/PG, being a great addition to the staff.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2014, 01:35:41 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Personally, I've been very impressed with Marcus Smart.  At twenty years old, I would already consider him an elite level NBA defender.  That's a fairly amazing accomplishment in and of itself. 

Offensively, however, he's got a way to go, but what he lacks in polish, he makes up for in toughness.  I'm willing to be a little patient, but not too patient.  The fact that Danny just traded away Rajon Rondo for spare parts means that the reins have been given over to him now.  He was the sixth pick in a draft that purportedly had upwards of seven franchise players. 

I think it's completely fair to expect big things from the young man.  I'm not looking for him to become a solid role player, I'm looking for him to become a star.  Anything less will be a disappointment. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2014, 10:37:52 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I can't see Smart at the shooting guard position, now or in the future. He just doesn't create his shot very well or for that matter shoot good enough, at this point.
I think its PG or bust.

I agree, he should be coming of the bench right now, just to get him a log of minutes. Can't help but love his attitude and D.