Author Topic: Smart's first start not all that impressive  (Read 12052 times)

Re: Smart's first start not all that impressive
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2014, 01:15:23 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would rather they start Turner and let Smart backup at this point.

But if they push Smart it will get him experience at least.

I agree.  There is no rush to have him start. He has been doing a nice job coming off the bench . Turner has done a decent job starting at the pg spot.   

Tonight was about experimenting for CBS.

The three new players got time on the court and obviously did not look comfortable out there .  Still I hope they get rid of Nelson soon.  I still wish we got Felton instead, who would of not bothered the rotation this season.   

Pressey got no mins tonight and would of helped imo.  He has been playing really well the last 3 games prior to tonight. 

Was not overly impressed with Crowder also.  He has to make open jump shots.  Wright had some nice baskets and played a decent defensive game. But he was lost most of the night.  It's going to take time like it did for Zeller.

I hope Danny buys out Nelson.  Nobody is going to want him by the trade deadline

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 01:23:25 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I don't even know why Smart is playing
after the ankle injury and then the achillis at the same foot why didn't he take more time to recover?
It's not like he seldom uses his foot

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2014, 01:23:25 AM »

Offline Asher77

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
Smart will prove a steady defensive minded PG who will push the pace and is not the dominant ball handler Rondo is.

A bunch of things were off tonight. The whole team had a horrible start, AB and Sully were just individually bad early. That was not on Marcus.

The Heat's dynamic changed with no Wade or Bosh and that I feel effected us.

We played 11 men in the first half as the new guys saw there first minutes. Never a good thing.

Nelson is just a waste of minutes and Turner was not much better today. Smart outplayed both.

The worst thing is that Smart had to share the court tonight with Nelson and Turner. At those times I see that Marcus wants to be the PG but the truth is that both Turner and especially Nelson, as veterans, play it out as if they are the lead man thus moving Marcus over to a 2 guard which I don't think he is. He may prove himself and earn that lead role, might be what Brad wants as a learning experience, but I think it is counter productive to winning games in the short term and will reflect poorly to us fans who expect to see him lead the team just because he started and is on the court.

I say start him and keep the 2 PG lineups off the court while he learns to run the show.

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2014, 02:37:27 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Celtics fans overrated Banks 2.0. I know he's hurt but he is who he is.

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2014, 03:54:50 AM »

Offline 255 Rings

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
The overreactions on here are ridiculous. I'm pretty sure Smart is a rookie that has had setbacks due to injuries and is still learning the ropes. He's been our Rondo insurance since we drafted him and we were VERY fortunate to land in a draft position to land him. I would have loved to land in the top 3 and nab Parker, Wiggins, or Embiid, but two of those rookies are out for the season. One tore his ACL and sometimes that is a very difficult injury to come back from. For all we know Embiid could be damaged goods already and we don't even know how he'll pan out. Wiggins is legit but doesn't have the drive that Smart has to push the team to try and win games. He reminds me of Jeff Green in that he's a freak athlete with a small motor. Gordon's out too, Exum can become the star he's projected to be but he doesn't have that toughness that us Boston Celtics fans love in here. Smart will be the embodiment of true Celtic grit and hard-nose defense. He might not be a pure PG but in today's league you need a guard that has off-the-ball abilities. Rondo was basically ball-dominant and lacked perimeter threat. He was small and couldn't bully his way to the paint like Smart will be able to do. And FTs, yeah I'm sure Smart will be better. I can live with Smart's struggles as a rookie and whoever is saying Turner should start over him really doesn't understand the type of stunt development you're infusing on a player that's poised to become our star PG of the future by choosing to start over him a below average rental player. And Marcus Banks 2.0 really? Marcus Banks didn't have the IQ Smart has and wasn't in the same position Smart is in now (coach with huge potential that has great development of young players. A competent FO that has won a title recently and has the assets to speed the rebuilding process once more in so many different ways another team would love to possess). Breathe Celtics fans, Smart will be fine (barring injuries of course).

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2014, 04:37:40 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Smart has potential.  It will take him some time. 

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2014, 05:45:11 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
How long is he going to get?  I like Marcus Smart a lot, but the pressure is going to be on for him to perform sooner rather than later now that he has officially been designated as "the point guard of the future."

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2014, 07:27:24 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Player development takes time, and has higher highs and lower lows while we get used to what is that players average game. Rookies and young players generally aren't as consistent as veterans do,

Smart has had some consistently good qualities so far like his defense and willingness to pass and some bad ones such as his shot selection (which I believe is from CBS) as he is shooting nearly twice as many 3's as he is 2 pointers. As well as his tendency to defer which is my biggest problem, we drafted him to be our guy, and he looks like Jeff green out there some times just floating around.

I'm still very hopeful and confident this can be out starting PG, and I'm excited to watch him get better every game.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2014, 07:32:40 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Neither was anybody else impressive against the heat ,besides Zeller .......who started off not so impressive with the Celtics.

Give the guy a year or two to get up to speed . At least.

He is rookie , it will be up and down for a few years.

Not many players play like MJ from day one.

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2014, 07:59:29 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Marcus is going to take time on the offensive side of the ball. I cant recall who said it but its true "he wasn't born a natural PG". On defense I believe he will be playing to an all-NBA level by the seasons end. Offense is going to take time and patience. I believe he will be able to work his was into an average starting PG on offense with his D making him special. As others have said I would like to see Marcus attack the rim more this season. The other aspect I am chomping at the bit for him to develop is a post game. Maybe next season the Cs need to bring in Andre Miller to work with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3eedh7zwKM

At Smarts size how many PGs will defend that? For that matter most SGs wont have the lower body strength to defend that. With bigs who can shoot a PG who can back his man down and command a double team could create some nice easy scoring opportunities. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2014, 08:10:34 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Feel free to panic but I think I will wait until he has at least 2 starts before making a judgement.  Jeesh.

+1000

We have no idea who Marcus Smart will be when it comes to the NBA. Let the kid play and let's see what we have.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2014, 08:52:16 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Does this concern anyone?  I'm more of the positive sense and the sky is the limit and support Marcus because no going back now lol.  I also really like Marcus and think he will do very well and it's only a matter of time barring injury, but I think that argument is somewhat legitament that we possibly could have traded a better player away. 

I think Smart fits us and will allow us to share the ball and he doesn't dominate it as much as Rondo.  That was the argument to allow to build and go with the young guys, but watching smart this game and him not having much impact at all, we need more than that ultimately.

There is no argument there.  We did trade the better player away

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2014, 10:20:29 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34
 ;D Nope...He def cant replace Rondo...maybe the Cs can get Emmanuel Mudiay in the draft

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2014, 10:36:29 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
;D Nope...He def cant replace Rondo...maybe the Cs can get Emmanuel Mudiay in the draft

I'd be thrilled to land Mudiay if we're at #3 and Towns/Okafor are gone, though I'm guessing Ainge would trade him and something for Towns/Okafor.

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2014, 10:47:22 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I'd be thrilled to land Mudiay if we're at #3 and Towns/Okafor are gone, though I'm guessing Ainge would trade him and something for Towns/Okafor.
I'm probably in the minority, but I'd much rather have WCS than Mudiay.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19