Author Topic: Smart's first start not all that impressive  (Read 12058 times)

Re: Smart's first start not all that impressive
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 10:09:13 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
Smart is a work in progress.
I'll agree to "work". Not sure about "progress".

thanks for trading him to me btw anyways..  Not sure that was a good move but why not? 

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 10:09:21 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I love Marcus Smart, but I'm not sure why he can't come off the bench if need be.

He brings a lot when he's on the court, but I don't like him as the primary ballhandler.

Smart isn't a true PG.  In college, he split time with Markel Brown running the OK state offense.  Smart should be developed to replace Bradley not Rondo.
Agree completely.  Rondo was hounded for not having a good enough jumper or free throw shot.  Yet the rest of his game was top notch.  Bradley drives me crazy, no more of the great defense.  Now if his jumper isn't falling he gives us very little to nothing.
Smart I like but he isn't ready to run an nba tea

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 10:20:37 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
IT could be a long year with a lot of ups and downs offensively until these guys gel.  I still am not sure what Smart's true position is.  I have to think he is our starting pg eventually but I could see a Turner/Smart thing going on where  Turner is very important there.

If Rondo was Bob Cousy, Smart could be Dennis Johnson maybe. 

I still think Smart's role is yet to be defined where Turner ends up being like Turkoglu in Orlando a few years back who was a sf playing pg.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:25:41 PM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 10:50:11 PM »

Offline shrinkage36

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
I think as most rookies, there will be games where he looks like an All-Star followed by games where he looks like a bust. We just have to allow things to play out.

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 10:56:16 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Player development is all that matters to me right now, and Smart leads the list of players we need to develop (#5 pick in a top-heavy draft).

I am fine giving Smart the starting spot for a while because at least he busts his behind on defense and effort. He is a horrible shooter, but I'm more concerned with him getting comfortable with the flow of NBA games. Let him play.

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 10:56:43 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
That is not a bad analogy. Except didn't DJ score a lot before coming to the C's?

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 11:09:07 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
IT could be a long year with a lot of ups and downs offensively until these guys gel.  I still am not sure what Smart's true position is.  I have to think he is our starting pg eventually but I could see a Turner/Smart thing going on where  Turner is very important there.

I still think Smart's role is yet to be defined where Turner ends up being like Turkoglu in Orlando a few years back who was a sf playing pg.

I was going to say I'd be ecstatic if Smart developed into DJ but then I looked at DJ's 3PT%.  Probably need another role model for that aspect of his game.   

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 11:12:38 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Player development is all that matters to me right now, and Smart leads the list of players we need to develop (#5 pick in a top-heavy draft).

I am fine giving Smart the starting spot for a while because at least he busts his behind on defense and effort. He is a horrible shooter, but I'm more concerned with him getting comfortable with the flow of NBA games. Let him play.

I agree with starting Smart but I'd start Turner along side him rather than Bradley.  Turner can share the load of running the offense.  I guess another option would be to start KO rather than Sully and let KO share the load. 

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 11:13:47 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Smart needs to play PG with the starters. It's going to look ugly at times. He's a rookie. But he is by far our biggest asset and it's the best place for him long-term. IMO all he really has that resembles an NBA shooting guard is the mentality to just huck up a jumper every once in a while. HE NEEDS TO LEARN NOT TO DO THAT. He's the type of guy who needs to shoot if he's open and otherwise force his way into the lane and make a play for a teammate, or score himself.

He really is a great passer with very good court vision and he can just physically dominate almost any guard he faces. If he has the ball coming up the court, the other team can't play games. They just have to put someone on him. If he continues to develop over the next few years teams will have to put a SF or big SG on him and invert their defense. If he's off the ball, that allows teams to just help off him, close out at the last second with whoever's in the area. He's not a consistent shooter and even if he develops that skillset, he doesn't have the length to shoot over people and he doesn't look like the type of smooth athlete that can slip between rotating defenders.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 11:29:25 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I can't believe some of you want to see turner play PG, much less start. the dude sucks at PG. we have 3 PG's on the roster, turner should never see that position ever. lets play the PG's we have, specifically Smart. if he's missing assignments then you relegate him to the bench but till that happens he should start.

i'd rather have a PG playing at PG than a guy who can "play" PG.

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 11:46:17 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
I can't believe some of you want to see turner play PG, much less start. the dude sucks at PG. we have 3 PG's on the roster, turner should never see that position ever. lets play the PG's we have, specifically Smart. if he's missing assignments then you relegate him to the bench but till that happens he should start.

i'd rather have a PG playing at PG than a guy who can "play" PG.

Apparently Brad Stevens agrees with you because he threw Smart out there immediately.  I'd like to see Smart play 30 mpg and just let him live and die with it for now under fire in ways.  If we are going to build with Marcus and he is going to be that.  Different ways of doing things is all. Doc would bring guys along.  Some coaches teach in different ways.  Stevens if anything has shown he is not Doc Rivers so far.

If Marcus struggles do you pull him? When do you pull him? Do you just let him die out there?  He might not die?  He might turn it up? It's only one game so far.

I think from the Celtics perspective you actually want to teach these guys not protect.  They have to live and die on their own and pull them if they aren't doing what they should be.

KO for example has started to really come on in a bench role so it's kind of complicated.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 11:51:39 PM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 11:49:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think the other problem is who we have at SG. With Rondo as the obvious, ball-dominant PG, Bradley was able to play off the ball, shooting threes and making cuts. But with Smart leading the way, we really don't have that prototypical PG where a guy like AB can be successful.

There has been some talk about the three-headed PG monster in PHX and I would love to bring in one of them. I think Dragic would be an amazing fit with Smart moving forward. A guy like Lance Stephenson, while not popular, would certainly help the playmaking of our backcourt.

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2014, 12:22:53 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Smart needs to play PG with the starters. It's going to look ugly at times. He's a rookie. But he is by far our biggest asset and it's the best place for him long-term. IMO all he really has that resembles an NBA shooting guard is the mentality to just huck up a jumper every once in a while. HE NEEDS TO LEARN NOT TO DO THAT. He's the type of guy who needs to shoot if he's open and otherwise force his way into the lane and make a play for a teammate, or score himself.

Well-said. I agree with this perspective right now.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2014, 12:38:45 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I thought the whole team was bad not all on Smart. Also they need to work on pick and roll/pop with Smart and the bigs. They were on the wrong page on a few of them.  More practice with the starters should help him. Can't expect a rookie and a bunch of new (also young) guys in new roles to succeed against an veteran team regardless of missing stars.

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2014, 12:42:20 AM »

Offline dwoumn

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
These's advanced stats numbers tell the story of struggles of Smart (See Attachment). Watching highlights of Smart of Oklahoma State, his game was attacking the paint and finishing. We all know about his shooting woes, when he's in a good rhythm early, his shoot will fall. I just don't understand why most of shots are coming from behind the arc with the C's. He has to have a balance in his offense with the 3, mid range, and attacking the paint. If he's not attacking, he has to develop a mid range game. His game is very similar to D. Wade but Smart isn't as crafty. If he can go back to the attacking Smart and add a consistent mid range, then Smart will be tough. He is still a rookie and going through growing pains but I still think Smart will be good player for the C's.

Here are some highlights from Smart at Oklahoma State...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0fCnp2oH_Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUa0DZg4jO0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3L1jhyBxCI
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:25:48 AM by dwoumn »