Author Topic: Smart's first start not all that impressive  (Read 12057 times)

Smart's first start not all that impressive
« on: December 21, 2014, 09:09:38 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
Long way to go still but seems like he's going to take a bit to develop.  Seems like the C's want to play him and the young guys but I can't help but feel if the C's were serious about winning, they'd start turner and bring Smart off the bench. Smart just seems to not make many plays right now and isn't too aggressive and is more a part of the offense vs Rondo who would really control the flow of the game. His offense is going to take a bit it seems.  I liked how we were pressing with Bradley and Smart defensively but we got burned quite a bit and weren't pushing the tempo enough ourselves.

It wasn't Johnny Manziel bad at least.  But Smart's effect on the game was minimal.

PG's typically take a year or so it wouldn't surprise me if Smart's impact this year isn't that great though.  His body is nba ready.  Defensively he is good, but offensively he doesn't seem to do much.  We'll see I guess.

Rondo had a nonstop motor as a rookie.  I'm not seeing that from smart right now. I more saw a guy just trying to fit  vs establishing himself.  Totally different though from Rondo.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:29:01 PM by piercetruth34 »

Re: Smart's first start not all that impressive
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 09:24:30 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I would rather they start Turner and let Smart backup at this point.

But if they push Smart it will get him experience at least.

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 09:27:43 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
Does this concern anyone?  I'm more of the positive sense and the sky is the limit and support Marcus because no going back now lol.  I also really like Marcus and think he will do very well and it's only a matter of time barring injury, but I think that argument is somewhat legitament that we possibly could have traded a better player away. 

I think Smart fits us and will allow us to share the ball and he doesn't dominate it as much as Rondo.  That was the argument to allow to build and go with the young guys, but watching smart this game and him not having much impact at all, we need more than that ultimately.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 09:29:45 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
figured he was 2 years away from really being a solid pro PG.  tonight pretty much looked that way.

primary concern is his lack of drives to the hoop.  not just tonight but the whole year.  hoping that he ends up driving more rather than jacking 3's

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 09:30:59 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
We don't even know if Marcus is a true pg yet.  Turner could be a better option and Smart could still be a tweener guy.  I think he is a pg ultimately. I hope he is in ways but he doesn't even have a defined role yet.

Turner is a better pg right now and the Celtics should be developing marcus to be that a couple years from now.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 09:34:23 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I agree that Smart is less aggressive than Turner. Smart also wasn't pushing the pace at all this game. Smart will become more aggressive when he has experience running the team. Right now we just need to take our lumps while he develops.

So far this year he has looked his best next to Evan Turner, not when he's running the offense. But he will improve running the offense.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 09:37:51 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Feel free to panic but I think I will wait until he has at least 2 starts before making a judgement.  Jeesh. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 09:41:07 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I kinda disagree.

What I like about Smart is he has good court vision and doesn't pound the ball as much as Rondo did.

He needs more work but I think Smart has shown the makings of becoming a very good PG.

I'd also like to see him develop a more consistent jump shot.

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 09:42:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I would rather they start Turner and let Smart backup at this point.

But if they push Smart it will get him experience at least.

Meh. Turner is way too hot and cold for me and is a very streaky player. I agree he's a good passer but no way do I let him start as point. I think Smart is the guy.

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 09:45:11 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
I agree that Smart is less aggressive than Turner. Smart also wasn't pushing the pace at all this game. Smart will become more aggressive when he has experience running the team. Right now we just need to take our lumps while he develops.

So far this year he has looked his best next to Evan Turner, not when he's running the offense. But he will improve running the offense.

I'm undecided on that.  I don't know if I'd throw marcus out there and just let him learn under fire and pull him  at times and just play him and start him 30 minutes or bring him along in a role off the bench with turner starting.  It's his first year.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:50:24 PM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 09:47:28 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
figured he was 2 years away from really being a solid pro PG.  tonight pretty much looked that way.

primary concern is his lack of drives to the hoop.  not just tonight but the whole year.  hoping that he ends up driving more rather than jacking 3's

I'm with you 100% on this

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 09:51:46 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I love Marcus Smart, but I'm not sure why he can't come off the bench if need be.

He brings a lot when he's on the court, but I don't like him as the primary ballhandler.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 09:55:14 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Smart is a work in progress.

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 09:58:59 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I love Marcus Smart, but I'm not sure why he can't come off the bench if need be.

He brings a lot when he's on the court, but I don't like him as the primary ballhandler.

Smart isn't a true PG.  In college, he split time with Markel Brown running the OK state offense.  Smart should be developed to replace Bradley not Rondo. 

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Smart is a work in progress.
I'll agree to "work". Not sure about "progress".