Author Topic: Would you flip Brandan Wright for Isiah Thomas?  (Read 11791 times)

Re: Would you flip Brandan Wright for Isiah Thomas?
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2014, 08:23:01 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
No, but primarily because Smart is the PG of the future and no need to bring in another PG that's on a 4 year deal who's not happy coming off the bench

I don't understand why Smart can't come off the bench?

In terms of this year, Smart can still get 28-30 minutes off the bench with this team.

*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2014, 08:28:45 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
No, but primarily because Smart is the PG of the future and no need to bring in another PG that's on a 4 year deal who's not happy coming off the bench

That wouldn't stop me from doing that trade. On top of that Smart has not shown me any reason to think he will be more than average in his 12 games. Shooting is poor, passing seems ok, but I have seen no ability to take it to the hoop which is starting to worry me.

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2014, 08:52:56 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
No I wouldn't.
Danny went after him because he was hoping to lock in a bargain contract.

Why trade for this guy when we've just cleared all this cap room? He's an average to below average defender that lacks size.

Some would consider his contract an asset but I don't want this guy taking minutes from Smart.

Right now I want young guys with potential or top 20 NBA players.
He is neither and never will be.

Can't see a scenario where Isiah Thomas is your starting PG on a championship team unless you've got 2 top 10 players. He's a poor man's Mike Conley.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2014, 08:57:01 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

That wouldn't stop me from doing that trade. On top of that Smart has not shown me any reason to think he will be more than average in his 12 games. Shooting is poor, passing seems ok, but I have seen no ability to take it to the hoop which is starting to worry me.

Smart has looked about a billion times better than Avery Bradley did as a rookie.  If he just improves at the same rate, he'll be a borderline all-star in a few years.

Mike

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2014, 09:11:33 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Smart has looked about a billion times better than Avery Bradley did as a rookie.  If he just improves at the same rate, he'll be a borderline all-star in a few years.

Mike

Agree.....smart is off to a great start IMO......these guys are super young ......not the 22 year old men that played four years in college before coming out .

Very few LeBron s 18 year olds that play at a 26 year level right from the first game.
I think Jabari Parker is going to be elite .

« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2014, 09:14:48 PM »

Online freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'd gladly do it.  I think IT would be a good guard off the bench since both Bradley and Smart can guard 2s. 

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2014, 09:24:49 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'd gladly do it.  I think IT would be a good guard off the bench since both Bradley and Smart can guard 2s.

I thought that it had long been established that Bradley can't guard 2s because of his lack of height.  He's fine against Monta Ellis, size-wise, but not someone like Joe Johnson, Wade, Kobe, or even Jimmy Butler.  It's just too much of a mismatch.

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2014, 09:26:55 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I absolutely would trade Wright for Thomas. We don't really have anyone that can consistently get their own shot, Thomas would be an excellent 6th man for years to come.

Also with Wright being a free agent, we would be more likely to retain Thomas because he has years left on his contract. The question is would signing Thomas get in the way of what they want to do in free agency next year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2014, 09:33:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I don't understand why Smart can't come off the bench?

In terms of this year, Smart can still get 28-30 minutes off the bench with this team.

I'm not saying he should't but I won't no part of IT for 4 years when we drafted this kid as a PG and traded Rondo. 

he's a better shooter than either of them but not as good a defender as either of them

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2014, 09:52:16 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Mike

Well that's a positive way of looking at it, of course AB still can't take it to the hoop! ;D

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2014, 09:53:03 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
resonse to Beat LA:   I told you why.  Rondo+Smart + Preesey= no shooting    Thomas can Shoot, so you can move Smart to 2 guard (if we trade AB).

Now you get 2 guys who have PG skills, with one (Thomas) who can actually shoot.  Keep Wright to take adantage of runouts that are going to get with Thomas, Smart and Pressey.

No thanks.  I'm good, lol. ;D I don't know how, let alone where, we're going to be able to move Bradley, btw.  Once we took Smart it made absolutely no sense to resign AB.  He should have been gone in a sign and trade for a first round draft pick.  Way to go, Danny, way to go (sarcasm). ::)

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2014, 11:37:13 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Looks like the Suns Blog saw my genius post and made their own spin...

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2014/12/22/7433597/nba-trade-idea-phoenix-suns-boston-celtics-thomas-plumlee-bradley-wright#comments

Suns trade Miles Plumlee, Anthony Tolliver and Isaiah Thomas to Celtics for Avery Bradley and Brandon Wright
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2014, 12:54:22 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2014/12/22/7433597/nba-trade-idea-phoenix-suns-boston-celtics-thomas-plumlee-bradley-wright#comments

Suns trade Miles Plumlee, Anthony Tolliver and Isaiah Thomas to Celtics for Avery Bradley and Brandon Wright

I make that deal in less than .2 seconds.

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Very unlikely Ainge adds salary before summer unless it's an all-star caliber player.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2014, 01:01:17 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Sold. Delighted to that deal.

Solid backup center in Plumlee to replace Brandan Wright and allow Celtics to keep 2 legitimate centers in rotation instead of trotting out undersized PFs as Cs. Getting rid of Avery Bradley's contract is a good thing in my book. I do not see a future here with Bradley with Smart at PG. Celtics need more offense and playmaking out of the starting SG position.

Tolliver is a useful 3rd string PF. Good end of bench player to have behind Sullinger / Olynyk if Bass traded in separate move later on.