Author Topic: Would you flip Brandan Wright for Isiah Thomas?  (Read 11752 times)

Re: Would you flip Brandan Wright for Isiah Thomas?
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2014, 06:32:37 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Without hesitation. The Suns wouldn't.

Yeah. Boston will likely need to add a 2nd or two.

I seriously doubt a 2nd Rd pick is enough.  Probably require something like the 2015 Clips pick.

But I doubt Phoenix does such a deal, Wright is a FA at the end of the season.  That is a step rice for a potential 'rental' backup.  Wright will likely be attainable with the MLE anyways, so there is no point wasting an asset like IT without getting back something of long term value.

I really don't see this.

My biggest motivation for flipping Wright would be his upcoming FA. It's really the only time in his career he's able to "cash in" and he'll be looking for big bucks and somebody will pay him.

I'd be shocked if he signed for anything less than $32mill/4 years.

Wow, that's a massive overpay.  And I actually really like Wright.

I wouldn't go much more than 3/18.

Exactly.

I think some team will absolutely "overpay" Wright in my eyes. But I guarantee somebody will.

This is my main motivation for aggressively shopping him.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2014, 06:37:53 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Without hesitation. The Suns wouldn't.

Yeah. Boston will likely need to add a 2nd or two.

I seriously doubt a 2nd Rd pick is enough.  Probably require something like the 2015 Clips pick.

But I doubt Phoenix does such a deal, Wright is a FA at the end of the season.  That is a step rice for a potential 'rental' backup.  Wright will likely be attainable with the MLE anyways, so there is no point wasting an asset like IT without getting back something of long term value.

I really don't see this.

My biggest motivation for flipping Wright would be his upcoming FA. It's really the only time in his career he's able to "cash in" and he'll be looking for big bucks and somebody will pay him.

I'd be shocked if he signed for anything less than $32mill/4 years.

Wow, that's a massive overpay.  And I actually really like Wright.

I wouldn't go much more than 3/18.

I'd say with the rising contract values ... 4 years $32 million sounds about right.

Wright probably would have gotten full MLE. Contracts seem to be rising 20-25% so add that on top of full MLE. 4 years $32 million sounds like a reasonable expectation to me.

Maybe...

But that is more an indictment of the new CBA rules that made the MLE a set amount instead of a percentage of BRI, as it used to be.  The MLE seems to be losing quite a bit of buying power with each successive season, relative to the salary cap.

Any team with cap space that pays Wright that much is probably going to be pretty disappointed with what they get.  But I have a feeling some of Wright's 'shine' is going to wear off without the level of front court talent surrounding him that he had in Dallas.  Wright probably needs to hope he is dealt from Boston to a contender, or he'll never actually see that type of contract.

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2014, 06:46:46 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If he continues to put up nearly the kind of advanced stats in Boston that he got in Dallas, someone will pay Brandan Wright >$10 million a year, mark my words.  GMs love good efficiency and will suddenly have a lot more money to play with than they're used to.

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2014, 06:50:14 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
If he continues to put up nearly the kind of advanced stats in Boston that he got in Dallas, someone will pay Brandan Wright >$10 million a year, mark my words.  GMs love good efficiency and will suddenly have a lot more money to play with than they're used to.
If Wright can get 25-28mpg here, I really like his chances of getting $10 million.

Otherwise, I wonder if Brandan Wright is not bit too old to get $10 million per annum based on perceived upside. How much perceived upside is there for a player his age?

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2014, 06:51:40 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

Yup.

I don't want to be involved in that bidding war.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2014, 06:53:51 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Either Dragic or Thomas will be traded before the deadline..its not working with those 3 (Bledsoe) in Phoenix..also hurting my fantasy team with those 2 on it being on same team :P
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2014, 06:57:54 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
If Wright can get 25-28mpg here, I really like his chances of getting $10 million.

Otherwise, I wonder if Brandan Wright is not bit too old to get $10 million per annum based on perceived upside. How much perceived upside is there for a player his age?

How is he going to get those kind of minutes with Zeller, KO, Sully and Bass still around? 

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2014, 06:58:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

How is he going to get those kind of minutes with Zeller, KO, Sully and Bass still around?

Depends on how desperately Stevens wants his shot-blocking.

Ainge was talking about Wright being underutilized in Dallas. I took that to mean Ainge believes Wright is better than an 18mpg player.

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2014, 07:01:09 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

Not to mention P&R offense and P&R defense.
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2014, 07:11:18 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

From the Mavs fans comments I saw, they all seemed to love Brandan Wright and hated to lose him but I didn't see anyone suggest he was a starting caliber player.

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2014, 07:49:44 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

From the Mavs fans comments I saw, they all seemed to love Brandan Wright and hated to lose him but I didn't see anyone suggest he was a starting caliber player.

Yeah, to compare to the Cs (and from a SF perspective), people around here loved James Posey and were upset to see him go, but he wasn't about to supplant any of our starters.

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2014, 07:50:33 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
No.

We need size more than we need another guard and I'd like to see what Wright can do.

Besides I think Phoenix holds on to Isiah in case they lose Dragic next summer.

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2014, 07:53:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Either Dragic or Thomas will be traded before the deadline..its not working with those 3 (Bledsoe) in Phoenix..also hurting my fantasy team with those 2 on it being on same team :P

I would DEFINITELY trade Wright and, say, the Philly 2nd this year for Thomas, but the real question is how can we put together a package for Dragic? I realize his value may be pretty high, but look at the return we just got for our expiring all-star PG in a crowded backcourt. Dragic would be an incredible fit next to Smart - can handle ball-handling duties, but also play off the ball as a knock-down shooter and he is a very smart player. This is who we should really be looking at.

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2014, 07:57:50 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Thomas is a good value on his current contract. It seems like people are judging him a little quickly as an undersized gunner. Yes, he's a shoot-first PG, but he's a pretty good one.

~25 pts, 6 assists, 4 rebounds, 1.5 steals per 40 on 60% true shooting the last 100 games (and he's averaged over 30 mpg over that period, so it's not a huge extrapolation). Size can be an issue on defense, but he's about average on that end. Take a look at e.g. Harden's numbers his first year in Houston and Thomas gives you about 90% of that offensively (and it's not like Harden plays defense).

All this for about $5M less than Bradley over the next 3 years would make a nice 6th man.

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2014, 08:19:14 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
No, but primarily because Smart is the PG of the future and no need to bring in another PG that's on a 4 year deal who's not happy coming off the bench