Author Topic: Would you flip Brandan Wright for Isiah Thomas?  (Read 11751 times)

Re: Would you flip Brandan Wright for Isiah Thomas?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 05:37:06 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
The thing is why would we trade for him? He's angry because he's coming off of the bench in Phoenix, which is what he'd be doing here, too. I'm not starting Thomas over Smart, because Smart's ceiling is leaps and bounds greater than Thomas' ceiling.

Also, he probably is a better asset for trades than Wright, but haven't we seen in the last several days that the point guard market is just not there right now, especially for starting point guards?

I just don't think it helps us enough for what it would cost.

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 05:37:51 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Without hesitation. The Suns wouldn't.

Yeah. Boston will likely need to add a 2nd or two.

I seriously doubt a 2nd Rd pick is enough.  Probably require something like the 2015 Clips pick.

But I doubt Phoenix does such a deal, Wright is a FA at the end of the season.  That is a step rice for a potential 'rental' backup.  Wright will likely be attainable with the MLE anyways, so there is no point wasting an asset like IT without getting back something of long term value.

I really don't see this.

My biggest motivation for flipping Wright would be his upcoming FA. It's really the only time in his career he's able to "cash in" and he'll be looking for big bucks and somebody will pay him.

I'd be shocked if he signed for anything less than $32mill/4 years.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 05:40:12 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
like I said.. you dont have to start Smart over him... Smart can play the SG.  Keep in mind that Smart has played like 6 games this year. We dont need to pidgeonhole Smart...he can play both positions.

Thomas is a blur...and he can shoot outside plus attack. Dont give up a big for him... give them Bradley

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 05:41:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
i think Wright can do more for this team than a midget backup PG.

I take it you haven't seen him play, ever ?
Ive seen Thomas play... don't need him.   

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 05:41:54 PM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
like I said.. you dont have to start Smart over him... Smart can play the SG.  Keep in mind that Smart has played like 6 games this year. We dont need to pidgeonhole Smart...he can play both positions.

Thomas is a blur...and he can shoot outside plus attack. Dont give up a big for him... give them Bradley
Bradley would actually make a pretty nice backup SG for them.

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 05:42:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Like Reggie Jackson

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 05:45:52 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
Thomas is a very good player, but I'm afraid that he doesn't fit in Brad's mentality of unselfishness/less ego/developing in different ways.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 05:47:47 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
I like Jackson but dont think we could get him. To further my point on Thomas, why wouldnt we "need" him when NONE of our PGs can shoot?  We need another perimeter threat, attacker, and pace pusher.

This also allows Turner to play some Point forward in the second unit.

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 06:04:13 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I seriously doubt a 2nd Rd pick is enough.  Probably require something like the 2015 Clips pick.

But I doubt Phoenix does such a deal, Wright is a FA at the end of the season.  That is a step rice for a potential 'rental' backup.  Wright will likely be attainable with the MLE anyways, so there is no point wasting an asset like IT without getting back something of long term value.

I really don't see this.

My biggest motivation for flipping Wright would be his upcoming FA. It's really the only time in his career he's able to "cash in" and he'll be looking for big bucks and somebody will pay him.

Wow, that's a massive overpay.  And I actually really like Wright.

I wouldn't go much more than 3/18.

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 06:09:37 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yes -- not much of a fan of Wright plus Boston already has a good backup center in Tyler Zeller. So I don't see a great need or future here for Wright.

I do really like Thomas as a change-of-pace backup PG (explosive scorer/shooter). I think he'd provide a great contrast to Smart as starting PG (big physical destroyer type PG). The makings of a top 6th man behind Smart.

Why aren't you a fan of Wright ? He's been the best bench big in the league this year. Very efficient, & all about the team.

Mediocre player. Uneven defensive player. Good at some things (shot-blocking, PnR, transition defense), bad at other things (post defense, man-to-man defense, defending away from basket, organizing defense, relies on quickness to bail out lack of fundamentals on defensive position off the ball). Offensively, non-passer + refuses to shoot outside of 5 feet despite having a good short jump-shot and decent midrange shot. Weak rebounder. Not defensively talented enough to make up for rest to be a starting caliber center. Good bench big. Not a great one.

Isaiah Thomas could be a 6th man of the year level bench scorer. That is more valuable.

Edit: I am not "not a fan" of Wright. I like him. I am just not in love with him. Some are really high on him because of the athleticism and shot-blocking & the advanced stats. I think he is solid enough but nothing special. I like him as a backup C. I also like Zeller as backup C. We have two good backup C. No quality backup PG.

Edit II: Do not Jameer Nelson. Old, slow and undersized. Very limited player. Should be a 3rd string PG at this stage in his career. Do not like Pressey either unless he learns how to shoot the ball. Too weak defensively. Good passer but needs to be a capable shooter to make up for bad defense.

Happy to move one of the two backup centers to fill the void at backup PG.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 06:19:07 PM by Who »

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 06:09:49 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
Thinking way too far ahead... lets see him play with our team first. Him and Zeller will give big man depth that we have not had for awhile. Also enables us to include Bass in a deal that will put an end to small ball.

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 06:11:49 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Why would we bother to acquire another point guard when Smart is now the 'face of the franchise' or whatever at the point guard position?  By this logic, it would have made a great deal more of sense to keep Rondo and start Smart at the 2.  Oh wait, lol...::) ;D Regardless, it appears that many on here are already looking for ways to flip.  That.  Asset. ;) ;D

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 06:12:50 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

I really don't see this.

This is the key right here. Wright will be a FA, Thomas is locked up. For a team like the Celtics that can't attract FAs, that is the most important consideration. All things being equal then I would probably keep Wright because as much as I like Isaiah this current team needs a Wright more.

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 06:14:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I really don't see this.

Wow, that's a massive overpay.  And I actually really like Wright.

I wouldn't go much more than 3/18.

I'd say with the rising contract values ... 4 years $32 million sounds about right.

Wright probably would have gotten full MLE. Contracts seem to be rising 20-25% so add that on top of full MLE. 4 years $32 million sounds like a reasonable expectation to me.

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 06:17:20 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
resonse to Beat LA:   I told you why.  Rondo+Smart + Preesey= no shooting    Thomas can Shoot, so you can move Smart to 2 guard (if we trade AB).

Now you get 2 guys who have PG skills, with one (Thomas) who can actually shoot.  Keep Wright to take adantage of runouts that are going to get with Thomas, Smart and Pressey.