Author Topic: Jameer Nelson - Analysis and Discussion  (Read 5799 times)

Jameer Nelson - Analysis and Discussion
« on: December 21, 2014, 12:23:08 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Brandan Wright has gotten most of the discussion related to the trade and I guess I understand why but Jameer Nelson could be the one seeing the greater opportunity.  In looking at is stats for this year, he is averaging 4.5 3Pg attempts and only 7.0 total attempts (2.5 non-3 attempts).  That seems strange but is contributing to his lower overall FG%.  He is pretty low on assists and minutes for a starter.  Seems like they have him just sitting in the corner waiting for chances to jack 3s.

I can't help remembering how Jordan Crawford came to the Celtics and for about a half a season, really played better than Rondo (although admittedly, Crawford could not keep it up).  I wonder if this will be a chance for Nelson to open up his game.  Go back to handling the ball more, driving to the hoop, being a distributor.

He is 32 so probably doesn't have all that many years left.  If he plays well, he may set himself up for next year or even a trade to a contender this year.

Re: Jameer Nelson - Analysis and Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 12:35:42 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Are we seriously going to analyze Jameer Nelson?

I'd start..He's a salary filler that we need to acquire to make the numbers match. Anything, ANYTHING good we get from him is cherry on top of a soy sauce flavored sundae.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 12:43:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I can 't ever FoRGET or forgive the whining he did at Orlando.....talking to Bradley begging him to ease up on defense .... ???    ???   ::).     I was stunned ....dude raised a white flag ....he is quitter too.  Bad mojo .

What a fat , out of shape , whining little loser ......begging for a rookie to give him a break

If I had owned the team .....he would have been tossed out of the gym and off the team.

Yes , he can shoot ....that's pretty much been all his fat little self could ever do .   

He is worthless on defense .....totally ...he can't cover a bean dish .

I like Thornton ........Nelson is trash .....worse than JET

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 01:06:25 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I can 't ever FoRGET or forgive the whining he did at Orlando.....talking to Bradley begging him to ease up on defense .... ???    ???   ::).     I was stunned ....dude raised a white flag ....he is quitter too.  Bad mojo .

What a fat , out of shape , whining little loser ......begging for a rookie to give him a break

If I had owned the team .....he would have been tossed out of the gym and off the team.

Yes , he can shoot ....that's pretty much been all his fat little self could ever do .   

I don't like him either but he is now a Celtics, I'll root for him to do well.

One thing I will say, AB and Lee (weren't rookies of course), had Curry and Klay begging them to ease up too, told them this is just a game they didn't have to go so hard LOL (something along those lines).

When AB is at his best (hopefully WITH Smart) we will be hearing a lot more of this. We probably won't hear it b/c AB hasn't been shy about telling it, so I doubt they will actually tell him, but I can definitely see he and Smart making people look like amateurs out there! Should be fun!

I hope that Dallas game was just scratching the surface of what their defense will look like when they dial in with each other.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He is going to have a good time here. He is not a natural pg and excels in running around picks and making jump shots. Like bayless, mo williams. We got a very good passers on the team , especially our bigs

Dont think he has much of a future here and plus next season is prob his last in the nba , but if we do make the playoffs, nelson can help and has the experience.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 01:16:12 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Is he better than Pressey ?

If the answer is yes, I'd keep him & give him backup PG minutes.

With Turner in the fold, this will be tough (because Turner gets minutes at the 1). If Green is moved, & Turner plays more 3, then that opens up minutes for Nelson.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 01:22:25 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I'd be surprised if he isn't shipped out before the trading deadline.  He has no future with the Celtics, but he is a veteran capable backup with playoff experience on a cheap contract.  It won't be hard to move him.

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 01:34:35 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Nelson is a veteran pg who can shoot the three.  He can be a bridge while smart grows into the job or is easily moveable if a contender needs a guy with playoff experience.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 01:37:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Jameer Nelson is an old undersized PG who has lost his quickness. He is at a physical and athletic disadvantage every single night. He was a fairly mediocre player outside of shooting ability before. Guys like him (undersized PGs reliant on quickness) decline hard and fast once their legs start to go. That is what has happened to Jameer.

Now Nelson is a defensive liability both in man-to-man sequences and in team defense. A weak rebounder. Is no longer capable of getting by his man often enough. A below average passer. Can't get to the rim. Below average finisher in the paint and in transition.

His only utility is his outside shooting.

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Nelson totally sukked vs the Nets

He basically dribbled past half court, was hounded/trapped (reminds me of the days when AB used to guard him)  and just passed the ball to whoever he could.   It was like this for most of the game especially the 2nd half.   Played poor defense also

CBS should give Pressey some more min out on the floor.  Mix things up.   We are not running the way we did last week before the trade happened.   A guy like Phil Pressey encourages the team to run. Play a more pressing, sufficating style defense

I hope Nelson is traded soon

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 04:17:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I hate him and his game .

His attitude

Doesn't give a flip kills me.

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 04:28:16 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

SHAQATTACK, Please tell us how you feel about Jameer Nelson. Don't hold back. Thanks ;D

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 04:40:12 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

His attitude

Really?  Your previous post about him made it seem like you were a huge fan.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 04:50:30 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

His attitude

I think he cares. Stevens said he has already spoken up to the young players for guidance.  He is known for being respected around the league with character.  The only thing is he is an average player at best now, but that's a different story than his attitude.

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 04:53:34 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He is a nice vet backup if he is playing 15 mins a game. At this point like many NBA backups he will not be consistent in his play. I can see him being thrown into the Pelicans deal as they should want Green and Nelson.

Nelson, Green and Wallace
For
Gordon, Salmons, Babbit and picks. (1st and conditional pick.)