Author Topic: Doc on Rondo trade  (Read 13475 times)

Re: Doc on Rondo trade
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2014, 07:29:54 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
What they actually think of him has nothing to do with the fact that this was, probably, the best set of assets on the table.

Sure it is. If he were a transcendent player, to the level which Tim boasts him out to be, then you  simply wait it out and try to retain him by giving him that extra year and more money than any other can.

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2014, 07:33:27 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
Yep, all of this tells me there was no way we were going to resign him this summer, and I'm betting that got out and made the trade offers less and less.

But if Rondo was worried that another title wouldn't be coming his way if he stayed in Boston, he has to realize that his particular skill set would contribute to that fact. He's not a plug-and-play player, so very exact and precise circumstances and players would have to be involved for him to lead us to #18.

Yes, for Rondo to succeed he needed players that had almost identical offensive games. Kind of like Ray or AB as t your shooting guard, or Perk or Shaq or Bass as one of your starting bigs. It's that exact and precise.

Hey man, how do you feel about Rondo leaving?

Bummed about what it says about the near term future of the Celts. There wasn't really a reason to trade him if you were going to upgrade the talent around him, no reason to keep him if you didn't expect to in any reasonable amount of time. I think this means that we're in for a long rebuild. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Or maybe Ainge and Wyc don't think he's as good as you do.

You wouldn't know one way or the other, but then that doesn't stop the rest of your posts either.

Well, he's actually right considering how highly you think of Rondo. You've gone at lengths about him being one of the top 10 players in the NBA so obviously if Ainge and Wyc believed that to be remotely true they would've never done the deal. Unless you've changed your stance and now think he's a top 40-50 player/top 10 pg, in which case then he's not worth the max and the return was fair.

I don't think you could find much of what I've posted that's much different than what Danny and Wyc have consistently said about Rondo. That doesn't account for you or Bo's hyperbolic nonsense, but such is life on celticsblog.

You ever heard the adage "actions speak louder than words"? After the recent trade you still can't possibly believe that they think of him as highly as you do, right?

Its ok for him to say he knows what Danny/Wyc thinks about Rondo but not others.

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2014, 08:37:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
What they actually think of him has nothing to do with the fact that this was, probably, the best set of assets on the table.

Sure it is. If he were a transcendent player, to the level which Tim boasts him out to be, then you  simply wait it out and try to retain him by giving him that extra year and more money than any other can.

Players like Bird, MJ, Magic, Shaq, LeBron or Duncan are transcendent players. I've never said that Rondo's on that level, in fact I've said he wasn't a number of times. You've never been able to differentiate between "I said something ridiculous about Rondo and someone disagreed with me" and "that person thinks Rondo's one of the best players of all time. I don't mind discussing things I've said, but I'm not responsible for your confused imaginings of what I've said.

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2014, 08:41:25 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Yep, all of this tells me there was no way we were going to resign him this summer, and I'm betting that got out and made the trade offers less and less.

But if Rondo was worried that another title wouldn't be coming his way if he stayed in Boston, he has to realize that his particular skill set would contribute to that fact. He's not a plug-and-play player, so very exact and precise circumstances and players would have to be involved for him to lead us to #18.

Yes, for Rondo to succeed he needed players that had almost identical offensive games. Kind of like Ray or AB as t your shooting guard, or Perk or Shaq or Bass as one of your starting bigs. It's that exact and precise.

Bummed about what it says about the near term future of the Celts. There wasn't really a reason to trade him if you were going to upgrade the talent around him, no reason to keep him if you didn't expect to in any reasonable amount of time. I think this means that we're in for a long rebuild. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Or maybe Ainge and Wyc don't think he's as good as you do.

You wouldn't know one way or the other, but then that doesn't stop the rest of your posts either.

Well, he's actually right considering how highly you think of Rondo. You've gone at lengths about him being one of the top 10 players in the NBA so obviously if Ainge and Wyc believed that to be remotely true they would've never done the deal. Unless you've changed your stance and now think he's a top 40-50 player/top 10 pg, in which case then he's not worth the max and the return was fair.

I don't think you could find much of what I've posted that's much different than what Danny and Wyc have consistently said about Rondo. That doesn't account for you or Bo's hyperbolic nonsense, but such is life on celticsblog.

You ever heard the adage "actions speak louder than words"? After the recent trade you still can't possibly believe that they think of him as highly as you do, right?

Its ok for him to say he knows what Danny/Wyc thinks about Rondo but not others.

Obviously I didn't say I know what Wyc/Danny think about Rondo. I've commented on what they've been saying about Rondo for years. If Eddie wants to claim to know what Wyc and Danny think and claim that what they think is the opposite of what he ever hears them say that's fine. If he wants everyone to buy that he's probably out of luck.

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2014, 09:15:14 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Players like Bird, MJ, Magic, Shaq, LeBron or Duncan are transcendent players. I've never said that Rondo's on that level, in fact I've said he wasn't a number of times. You've never been able to differentiate between "I said something ridiculous about Rondo and someone disagreed with me" and "that person thinks Rondo's one of the best players of all time. I don't mind discussing things I've said, but I'm not responsible for your confused imaginings of what I've said.

No, you didn't mention him being on the level of those players. However, you did call him a top 10 player/top 5 playoff performer several times, which is ridiculous enough without having to bring in all time greats to mask your delusion. Did you not make those claims ad nauseam? Do top 10 players get traded for the type of package we received? You see how the math doesn't add up?

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2014, 09:26:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

No, you didn't mention him being on the level of those players. However, you did call him a top 10 player/top 5 playoff performer several times, which is ridiculous enough without having to bring in all time greats to mask your delusion. Did you not make those claims ad nauseam? Do top 10 players get traded for the type of package we received? You see how the math doesn't add up?

I probably said he was a top 15 or so player during the season, although I might have said to 10-15. At the time, though, he was probably 3rd team all-nba and 12th or 13th in that espn nba rank, so I was hardly alone in my "delusion". I think "prevailing opinion" would be more accurate. I think most people here would be able to figure out the difference between that and "transcendent player" though. Clearly not all people, but most nonetheless.

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2014, 09:33:14 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I probably said he was a top 15 or so player during the season, although I might have said to 10-15. At the time, though, he was probably 3rd team all-nba and 12th or 13th in that espn nba rank, so I was hardly alone in my "delusion". I think "prevailing opinion" would be more accurate. I think most people here would be able to figure out the difference between that and "transcendent player" though. Clearly not all people, but most nonetheless.

I guess a transcendent player or a top 10-15 player doesn't get you what it used to...

“Guys that are starting All-Star players just don’t come around,” said Ainge.

“The special players, the transcendent players in our league, are very difficult to find and acquire. We believe Rondo is one of those guys. He’s a very special player. We value him a great deal.”

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2014, 09:40:49 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Condolences Tim- I was in shock when I read the news of the trade, so I can only imagine your emotions when your favorite player on your favorite team was traded away. I mean he was, after KG, my favorite player on my favorite team and it was a blow to the gut even if I knew that it was highly possible.

You hit the nail on the head with what likely happened.
Danny's plan A was to re-sign Rondo with some top 20 players.
Rondo's slower than expected injury recovery coupled with terrible team mates/rookies just made him so undervalued in an almost unfair way.

Plan B:
Well, unfortunately for Ainge, he couldn't see top 20 players on the Celtics horizon so the only way we can get them is with drafted talent or talent exchanged for our draft picks.

And yes, the worst part about it is that we are probably waiting another 5-10 years for a title.

Best part is that we've got Danny Ainge.
Without Danny here who knows what situation we'd be in now.

If Rondo can make a nice recovery in Dallas, get his health and numbers back to 100%, then hopefully we'll see him in Celtic green before he retires again. Dallas is an excellent situation for him though so I'm happy for him in that regard.

Question for you; are you down for a professional tank after the Rondo trade?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2014, 09:41:11 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I guess a transcendent player or a top 10-15 player doesn't get you what it used to...

“The special players, the transcendent players in our league, are very difficult to find and acquire. We believe Rondo is one of those guys. He’s a very special player. We value him a great deal.”

I guess not. By the way, nice job coming up with those quotes from Danny shortly after claiming he didn't value Rondo at anywhere near that level. Hilarious.

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2014, 09:46:57 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I guess not. By the way, nice job coming up with those quotes from Danny shortly after claiming he didn't value Rondo at anywhere near that level. Hilarious.

Actions, brother. If you really think that Ainge valued him in that regard then a sucker is truly born once a minute. 

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2014, 09:48:25 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Condolences Tim- I was in shock when I read the news of the trade, so I can only imagine your emotions when your favorite player on your favorite team was traded away. I mean he was, after KG, my favorite player on my favorite team and it was a blow to the gut even if I knew that it was highly possible.

You hit the nail on the head with what likely happened.
Danny's plan A was to re-sign Rondo with some top 20 players.
Rondo's slower than expected injury recovery coupled with terrible team mates/rookies just made him so undervalued in an almost unfair way.

Plan B:
Well, unfortunately for Ainge, he couldn't see top 20 players on the Celtics horizon so the only way we can get them is with drafted talent or talent exchanged for our draft picks.

And yes, the worst part about it is that we are probably waiting another 5-10 years for a title.

Best part is that we've got Danny Ainge.
Without Danny here who knows what situation we'd be in now.

If Rondo can make a nice recovery in Dallas, get his health and numbers back to 100%, then hopefully we'll see him in Celtic green before he retires again. Dallas is an excellent situation for him though so I'm happy for him in that regard.

Question for you; are you down for a professional tank after the Rondo trade?

I'm for playing guys that we're going to keep and develop over players that we aren't. So I'd go with Olynyk and Sully and Zeller over Bass, even if it cost us a few games. But if we were doing well with KO and Sully, I wouldn't play them less just to lose more games.

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2014, 09:59:42 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Actions, brother. If you really think that Ainge valued him in that regard then a sucker is truly born once a minute.

Sure, actions, but as usual you're basing your opinion on one action in a vacuum with no context. What were Danny's actions last week, last month or last year? What was his opinion on Rondo then? Also, why do so many other posters seem to realize that there are other reasons for Danny to make the trade other than a low opinion of Rondo?

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2014, 10:05:09 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Sure, actions, but as usual you're basing your opinion on one action in a vacuum with no context. What were Danny's actions last week, last month or last year? What was his opinion on Rondo then? Also, why do so many other posters seem to realize that there are other reasons for Danny to make the trade other than a low opinion of Rondo?

He said that last November.

So you think it's wise to base his value of Rondo on what he says rather than his defining action? Interesting.

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2014, 10:18:24 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

He said that last November.

So you think it's wise to base his value of Rondo on what he says rather than his defining action? Interesting.

"Defining action"? Haha.

Again, most people understand that there are reasons for trading players aside from how much the GM values the player that's being traded. You don't seem to understand this. Also, if you're going to use Danny's trading Rondo as evidence that he didn't value Rondo highly, you'd have to explain why such a trade didn't occur well before it did. There were rumors that Dallas wanted Rondo for quite some time, and plenty of talk about other teams asking about him as well. If you were right about Danny's opinion of Rondo you'd have to assume that he'd have been out of here a long time ago.