Author Topic: Doc on Rondo trade  (Read 13519 times)

Re: Doc on Rondo trade
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I Blame all of this on the Ping Pong Balls....Screw Cleveland.

Yes .....  The moment they won...... LeBron was gone .....he was leaving Heat ....knowing the Cavs would have the asset to get another Star ......it was the perfect storm to let him return and still compete and be a hero at the same time .....wow

It still seems impossible how,they could win with those odds .......just too. Impossible in my mind .

I ll never believe it was legit.   

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 12:51:11 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Yep, all of this tells me there was no way we were going to resign him this summer, and I'm betting that got out and made the trade offers less and less.

But if Rondo was worried that another title wouldn't be coming his way if he stayed in Boston, he has to realize that his particular skill set would contribute to that fact. He's not a plug-and-play player, so very exact and precise circumstances and players would have to be involved for him to lead us to #18.

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 12:52:54 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Yes .....  The moment they won...... LeBron was gone .....he was leaving Heat ....knowing the Cavs would have the asset to get another Star ......it was the perfect storm to let him return and still compete and be a hero at the same time .....wow

It still seems impossible how,they could win with those odds .......just too. Impossible in my mind .

Definitely. It fit the "Lebron going home" narrative perfectly, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if allegations eventually come out about this later in the future. I just hope Lebron never wins a ring there!  ;D

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 01:00:45 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Yep, all of this tells me there was no way we were going to resign him this summer, and I'm betting that got out and made the trade offers less and less.

But if Rondo was worried that another title wouldn't be coming his way if he stayed in Boston, he has to realize that his particular skill set would contribute to that fact. He's not a plug-and-play player, so very exact and precise circumstances and players would have to be involved for him to lead us to #18.

Yes, for Rondo to succeed he needed players that had almost identical offensive games. Kind of like Ray or AB as t your shooting guard, or Perk or Shaq or Bass as one of your starting bigs. It's that exact and precise.

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 01:22:10 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Definitely. It fit the "Lebron going home" narrative perfectly, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if allegations eventually come out about this later in the future. I just hope Lebron never wins a ring there!  ;D

Look at the scams in Sports over the years ...some taking 75 year to be exposed .....cheating and so on ...... We probaby won live long enough for stuff to,be exposed ......but eventually somewhere down the line ....stuff that seemed fishy at the time will be exposed.....no,matter how cheat proof NBA may claim. ...there is always somebody willing to be bought out ....everybody has a price.

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 01:22:33 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Hey man, how do you feel about Rondo leaving?

Yes, for Rondo to succeed he needed players that had almost identical offensive games. Kind of like Ray or AB as t your shooting guard, or Perk or Shaq or Bass as one of your starting bigs. It's that exact and precise.

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 01:33:52 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Bummed about what it says about the near term future of the Celts. There wasn't really a reason to trade him if you were going to upgrade the talent around him, no reason to keep him if you didn't expect to in any reasonable amount of time. I think this means that we're in for a long rebuild. Hopefully I'm wrong.

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 02:26:18 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Bummed about what it says about the near term future of the Celts. There wasn't really a reason to trade him if you were going to upgrade the talent around him, no reason to keep him if you didn't expect to in any reasonable amount of time. I think this means that we're in for a long rebuild. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I hope you're wrong, too - boy do I.

I don't want to see Vitaly, Eric, Dino, "Never Nervous Pervis", EVER again.

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 03:03:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
How was Rondo torn two weeks ago about leaving when he had already told them he wanted out this summer? Chalk it up to Doc spinning things I guess.  ;)

No, Doc is on point, here.

And could you provide a link to where you believe "Rondo said he wanted out this summer"?
I don't think Rondo ever explicitly came out and said he wanted out this summer.  IF you paid attention to his interviews, you could tell that Rondo was being a good trooper and putting his faith in Ainge to put together a contender.  He had an interview this summer where he said he felt they were in the Kevin Love race... and even hinted that Melo was a possibility.   

There was a point in that interview where they asked what Rondo would have done had he been in LeBron's shoes.  He said he would have left, because that team was no longer in position to win a championship... in spite of the fact Miami just made the finals.  That was pretty telling to me.. and I shared it with many skeptics here.  If Rondo sees Miami's supporting cast and feels like it's worth leaving, clearly he'd leave Boston.  If Ainge failed to get stars here, Rondo would want out.  This was the entire basis for why I continually said Boston wasn't a front-runner to sign him this summer.   I was right.  Boston dumped him for chump change before it got to that point.  But no, I don't think Rondo ever came out and said he was leaving.  Most of the summer was filled with optimism that Danny would pull a 2007.

I wonder if Doc called up Rondo after the trade to joke, "Lol... you couldn't even fetch a single unprotected 1st rounder?  Boston got an unprotected 1st when they traded ME... and I'm just a coach.  Lol"

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 04:15:41 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Or maybe Ainge and Wyc don't think he's as good as you do.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 04:20:28 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I'm pretty sure you misread what I said...

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 04:21:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Welcome back, Tim.

Yes... we are in for a long rebuild.  That's been clear since we traded KG and Pierce.  We're in year 2 of a 3-5 year rebuild that may or may not work.

Ainge tried his darndest to get some talent here this summer, but when it was clear our assets had little value, we had to do what has been inevitable for several years... trade Rondo for whatever we could get or watch him leave for nothing.

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 04:26:17 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Welcome back, Tim.

Yes... we are in for a long rebuild.  That's been clear since we traded KG and Pierce.  We're in year 2 of a 3-5 year rebuild that may or may not work.

Ainge tried his darndest to get some talent here this summer, but when it was clear our assets had little value, we had to do what has been inevitable for several years... trade Rondo for whatever we could get or watch him leave for nothing.

I'd rather let him leave, and their assets have value.

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 04:26:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

We would in for a long rebuild if the Celts played in the west. But in the East we have a shot at making the playoffs while rebuilding at the same time. 

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 04:26:59 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

I'm pretty sure you misread what I said...

Rondo will be fine with any player that's what he said.