Author Topic: Doc on Rondo trade  (Read 13467 times)

Doc on Rondo trade
« on: December 21, 2014, 09:53:18 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
It’s been a great story,” Rivers said last Friday. “Rondo had his ups and downs, but people have to understand what we asked of a second-year guard who was on a bad team his rookie year.

“A lot was asked. Unfortunately for Rondo, everyone watched him mature publicly.”

“We had a great relationship, where you had arguments, but everyone ended up having a good time,” said the Clippers coach. “The good relationships and marriages survive. They always do.

“Off the floor Rajon has never been a problem. It was on the floor where he had to learn to be more patient with his teammates. But he was very good with me.”

Rivers talked to Rondo two weeks ago, and sensed the conflict.

“I know for a fact that Rondo was torn,” said Rivers. “When we talked he was completely torn. He wanted to be a Celtic for life. But he didn’t see any more titles coming if he stayed. He’s very happy now to go to a great situation. But at the time we talked, he didn’t know what he wanted.

“It was just a tough, tough call.”

LeBron James had just put the game out of reach with a 45-point performance, tied the series at 3-3, and sent it back to Miami for a deadly conclusion. But fans stood and applauded as the Celtics filed off the floor following the 98-79 blowout loss.

According to Rivers, this is the kind of moment that ties Rondo to Boston.

“That day is my most important memory other than the title,” said Rivers. “I tell people about that all the time. I know there is not another city in this league where that would happen. They just get it there.

“Everyone who has left knows that you can make a case for why it was so special basketball-wise, but it’s the intangibles like that day that get you. I guarantee you that’s what Rondo is thinking about now.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2014/12/rivers_edge_like_rondo_s

Re: Doc on Rondo trade
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 09:56:56 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Kinda throws out the window the idea that Rondo was uncoachable or treated Rivers like crud.

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 10:06:28 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290
How was Rondo torn two weeks ago about leaving when he had already told them he wanted out this summer? Chalk it up to Doc spinning things I guess.  ;)

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 10:08:13 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
Kinda throws out the window the idea that Rondo was uncoachable or treated Rivers like crud.

I don't know how many times it has to be thrown out..lol. It's very known that they still communicate. You don't do that with a person you don't like, especially since you don't have to. I just think that some of the fans needed a reason for Doc leaving,when it was really simple. He was getting a better team, with a better job description.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 10:26:46 AM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Did anyone expect Doc to say anything bad about Rondo?  I think the truth (not PP) is somewhere in the middle.  Rondo was a pain in the nuts for Doc but they worked through it.  Just like a marriage...it's not always easy.   ;)
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 10:29:42 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

“I know for a fact that Rondo was torn,” said Rivers. “When we talked he was completely torn. He wanted to be a Celtic for life. But he didn’t see any more titles coming if he stayed. He’s very happy now to go to a great situation. But at the time we talked, he didn’t know what he wanted.

So that pretty much means Rondo didn't believe in whatever plan Ainge had laid out for him? I see this as a pretty big indictment on Ainge, Rondo didn't think we'd win again even if he played for us the entire rest of his career? Wow.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 10:30:14 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
Did anyone expect Doc to say anything bad about Rondo?  I think the truth (no PP) is somewhere in the middle.  Rondo was a pain in the nuts for Doc but they worked through it.  Just like a marriage...it's not always easy.   ;)

I don't think anybody is denying he was difficult with Doc, but the narrative that Doc hates him seems far fetched. You don't keep in constant contact with someone you hate, that's just my opinion.

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 10:35:20 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
How was Rondo torn two weeks ago about leaving when he had already told them he wanted out this summer? Chalk it up to Doc spinning things I guess.  ;)

No, Doc is on point, here.

And could you provide a link to where you believe "Rondo said he wanted out this summer"?

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 10:52:52 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70

So that pretty much means Rondo didn't believe in whatever plan Ainge had laid out for him? I see this as a pretty big indictment on Ainge, Rondo didn't think we'd win again even if he played for us the entire rest of his career? Wow.
I think the presence of Marcus Smart effected Rondo's perspective on the future in Boston. I think it also became clear to Rondo that the years we will compete, he will be entering his 30's and on the back side of his career. At which point Smart will be entering his prime.

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 11:14:09 AM »

Offline celticdog

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 28

Dont believe everything Rondo thinks.  After all Rondo thinks he is a top player/point guard still.  Rondo's opinion doesnt carry much weight with me, he has to create a narrative for himself to live by--and there is nothing wrong with that for his own self-image purposes. 

However, if Rondo is as good as he thinks he is Celtics would have earned way more wins this season instead of blowing strong leads and collapsing in the fourth quarter due to some of Rondo's weaknesses: poor shooting, poor D, sloppy turn overs, and hack-a-Rondo advanced coaching tactics.

I'm not saying Rondo is totally responsible for our losses, of course not, this is a team game.  But if Rondo is as good as he thinks he is, he could have carried us to more wins in a historically weak conference. 

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 11:32:54 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Did anyone expect Doc to say anything bad about Rondo?  I think the truth (not PP) is somewhere in the middle.  Rondo was a pain in the nuts for Doc but they worked through it.  Just like a marriage...it's not always easy.   ;)

I'd say that what Doc's said about Rondo since he left was more complementary that what hewas saying about Ray when he went to the Heat. It's not like Doc never said anything bad about any of the players, more that the claims of Doc and Rondo's terrible relationship weren't overly factual.

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 11:35:55 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I didn't think Doc would trash Rondo, but I did think he'd imply some negatives like "It's not always easy for Rondo because x y z" or "It was hard for Rondo to be a good fit there now because x,y,z"

Stuff like that

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 11:49:36 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
I never believed the whole Rondo is a cancer narrative but I suspect that what Doc described is pretty accurate.  He didn't say "Rondo was a great leader" and he didn't say "Rondo was a cancer".  I think he described that at times, it was "hard" with Rondo but that they were able to always get through it and in the end there is mutual respect.

I suspect that at times, it will be hard for Rick Carlisle too but I don't think Rondo will be either a leader on that team or a cancer.  The problem with Rondo is that he can't shoot and that after missing shots, it gets in his head and it starts to affect his game.  I think at times, he also tries too hard for triple doubles but I would not expect that to be a problem on Dallas.

I don't blame Ainge, I don't blame Rondo, I think it was just time for Rondo to move on.  Like breaking up with a girl friend; it is hard even if you know it is the right thing.

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 12:31:02 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I Blame all of this on the Ping Pong Balls....Screw Cleveland.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 12:48:50 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I Blame all of this on the Ping Pong Balls....Screw Cleveland.

Truly there has never been a less deserving management group than that one. Luck into LBJ, squander something like 7 years never putting a competent team around him, sucking for 4 straight years only to once again luck into 3 number one overall picks and K-Love and LBJ again.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.